Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New AMD Drivers

AMD Support now offers new Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.3.1 drivers for AMD graphics cards running under Windows (thanks Bill). Here's word on what these do:

Support For

• Final Fantasy® XV
  • Warhammer®: Vermintide II
  • DOTA®2
    • Up to 6% faster FPS using Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.3.1 on the Radeon™ RX 580 (8GB) graphics card than with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1 at 3840x2160 (1440p).RS-218

Fixed Issues

• Radeon Chill hotkey may fail to reset when Radeon Settings is restored to defaults.
  • Sea of Thieves™ may experience an intermittent application hang or crash during gameplay.
  • Middle-earth™: Shadow of War may experience texture flickering on trees or hills when using multi GPU enabled system configurations.
  • World of Tanks™ may experience color corruption when changing some game settings in multi GPU enabled system configurations.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: New AMD Drivers Mar 6, 2018, 13:28 KilrathiAce

Many issues are related to users messing with their file permissions on windows 10.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 13:12 headkase

Hanneth wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:01:
Most of the time the settings application fails to install.
Sometimes Windows 10 seg faults and reboots in the middle of installing the drivers.
I found a 50% success rate if I uninstalled the drivers, deleted the old drivers install directory, ran the AMD clean-up utility, then manually go into the registry and remove any AMD references.
Up until December's driver I could just download and run the installer.
Up until October I could use the built in update button.
I didn't try the February drivers, as I didn't want to fight with my system to get things working again.

The first thing to do when diagnosing graphics driver problems is to use DDU, Display Driver Uninstaller (no-cost for DDU):

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Make sure you follow its instructions to be in safe-mode when doing the initial uninstall. There is a tutorial in the given site, if this is your first time using DDU then make sure to read that before you use the program.

After that, install your AMD drivers as usual and now that the system is known-clean you shouldn't have issues. For every upgrade after that use the AMD "clean install" option for best chances of success.

DDU is a reputable program and is linked often off of the Guru3D forums for AMD drivers:

https://forums.guru3d.com/forums/videocards-amd-radeon-catalyst-drivers-section.46/

If you still have problems after the above then I would suspect compatibility problems for your product and driver or product and other hardware in your system, or hardware failure problems of some sort.

If you have specific problems then posting on the Guru3D AMD driver sub-forum is the best way to get help. When it comes to AMD graphics drivers there aren't many places with the quality of help you'll get there.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2018, 13:24.

We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us.

5. Re: Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 13:01 Hanneth

Most of the time the settings application fails to install.
Sometimes Windows 10 seg faults and reboots in the middle of installing the drivers.
I found a 50% success rate if I uninstalled the drivers, deleted the old drivers install directory, ran the AMD clean-up utility, then manually go into the registry and remove any AMD references.
Up until December's driver I could just download and run the installer.
Up until October I could use the built in update button.
I didn't try the February drivers, as I didn't want to fight with my system to get things working again.

4. Re: Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 12:13 WaltC

headkase wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 11:28:

Exactly what does it do for you? I always do a clean install with AMD's drivers and I *never* have problems.

Ditto. Been years since I had a problem--been so long I can't remember the last problem I had...;) From reading the AMD driver threads occasionally, the people who have problems seem to be mostly laptop owners trying to use the wrong drivers, etc.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

3. Re: Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 11:28 headkase

Hanneth wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 11:24:
Seriously, doesn't AMD test their installers?
The Adrenaline installer is worse than whatever AMD did to the Radeon installer when they first bought out ATI. The last two times I've installed I was wondering if I had to sacrifice a live chicken to the AMD gods to get things to work.
Exactly what does it do for you? I always do a clean install with AMD's drivers and I *never* have problems.

We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us.

2. Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 11:24 Hanneth

Seriously, doesn't AMD test their installers?
The Adrenaline installer is worse than whatever AMD did to the Radeon installer when they first bought out ATI. The last two times I've installed I was wondering if I had to sacrifice a live chicken to the AMD gods to get things to work.

1. Re: New AMD Drivers Mar 6, 2018, 10:42 Slick

FFXV has gameworks, digitalfoundry saw pretty awful performance coming from AMD cards on this game... although even a 1080ti can't do 1080p@60, so it's kinda a shit show. Can't wait to see the updated reviews on the graphics after today when the patches have pushed out.  

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo