Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

White House Games Meeting Thursday

The ESA will attend a meeting at the White House on Thursday, so there will be at least one attendee at the summit the President called for last week to see how much of the gun violence in the U.S. can be blamed on video games. There were no invitations sent out before the meeting was mentioned, but now Business Insider reports the Entertainment Software Association says they will meet with Trump administration officials, though no other attendees have been named. Here's what the ESA says about the meeting: "The upcoming meeting at the White House, which ESA will attend, will provide the opportunity to have a fact-based conversation about video game ratings, our industry's commitment to parents, and the tools we provide to make informed entertainment choices." On a related note, Vox discusses the backlash to efforts to blame violence on video games, noting the outrage of GamerGate movement, a group that claims some of Trump's earliest supporters.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 8, 2018, 11:30 Agent.X7

jdreyer wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 01:36:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 14:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 20:14:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 19:49:
I'll relate another story. I was watching random game vids on YouTube with my son, when we came upon a vid of a soldier in a pitched battle in Afghanistan. My son, 10, no stranger to FPS games, was making comments like "That's really scary" and "It's taking him so long to reload!" He could really understand the difference between guns in a game and guns in real life. If a 10 year old can figure it out, so should DJT.
Bone spurs donnie got no idea.
Do they make a bump stock for the M249 SAW?

Both of the stores I go to in the Charlotte area have the $5k, semi-auto version of the M249. I mean, to each his own, but I just cannot fathom buying a belt-fed semi-auto for $5 grand. You can rent the real thing and fire a belt of ammo for $200 and scratch that itch and take the other $4800 and go on vacation or something, lol. (For the whole 50 seconds that belt will last I'll save the $200 too...)

I dunno, I mean you could find yourself in a situation where 100 zombies are charging at you across a field, and you need 200 rounds to to save your life. It could happen, man.

Yeah, I'll still pass on the 16lb semi-auto. A chest rig has 180 rounds in 6 magazines, plus the 30 in the rifle. And if 200 Zombies are charging across a field at me, I'm not going to Rambo them, I'm going to Forrest Gump them. (Run, Forrest! Run!)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 8, 2018, 08:59 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 08:30:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 08:28:
I dunno, I mean you could find yourself in a situation where 100 zombies federal agents brown people are charging at you across a field, and you need 200 rounds to save your life keep you from being arrested keep them from stealing your jobs or impregnating your wife and daughter... and maybe even son.. It could happen, man.
Put that in NRA speak for ya'...

Translated it for you.
Tangerine Jesus and the GOP approve all versions of these translations.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.

51. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 8, 2018, 08:30 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 08:28:
I dunno, I mean you could find yourself in a situation where 100 zombies federal agents brown people are charging at you across a field, and you need 200 rounds to save your life keep you from being arrested keep them from stealing your jobs or impregnating your wife and daughter... and maybe even son.. It could happen, man.

Translated it for you.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 8, 2018, 08:28 Mr. Tact

I dunno, I mean you could find yourself in a situation where 100 zombies federal agents are charging at you across a field, and you need 200 rounds to save your life keep you from being arrested. It could happen, man.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

49. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 8, 2018, 01:36 jdreyer

I'll relate another story. I was watching random game vids on YouTube with my son, when we came upon a vid of a soldier in a pitched battle in Afghanistan. My son, 10, no stranger to FPS games, was making comments like "That's really scary" and "It's taking him so long to reload!" He could really understand the difference between guns in a game and guns in real life. If a 10 year old can figure it out, so should DJT.

Both of the stores I go to in the Charlotte area have the $5k, semi-auto version of the M249. I mean, to each his own, but I just cannot fathom buying a belt-fed semi-auto for $5 grand. You can rent the real thing and fire a belt of ammo for $200 and scratch that itch and take the other $4800 and go on vacation or something, lol. (For the whole 50 seconds that belt will last I'll save the $200 too...)

I dunno, I mean you could find yourself in a situation where 100 zombies are charging at you across a field, and you need 200 rounds to to save your life. It could happen, man.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

48. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 7, 2018, 16:05 Agent.X7

Beamer wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 14:38:

Or... OR!... $200 for the rental, $2000 for a junker car to shoot for probably even less than 50 seconds, and $2800 for a vacation.

I mean, you do need a target.

Well, that 50 seconds is assuming you don't hold down the trigger and watch it burn all 100 rounds in 8 seconds. (750 r/pm)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

47. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 7, 2018, 14:38 Beamer

Or... OR!... $200 for the rental, $2000 for a junker car to shoot for probably even less than 50 seconds, and $2800 for a vacation.

I mean, you do need a target.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

46. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 7, 2018, 14:35 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

45. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 7, 2018, 12:06 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 19:21:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 17:51:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 15:42:
It's like when they blamed games for training kids how to shoot real guns. There are a ton of videos on You Tube that disprove this theory. Shooting in games is very, very different from shooting in real life. Most of the people tested could not even get the firearm loaded correctly without help, let alone get it to a state where it could be fired by pulling the trigger.

There was an interview with a gun shop owner describing how CoD players would come in and check out the guns. They'd look down the scope and ask, "How do I make it zoom in?"

Yeah, game guns != real guns.

No doubt.
But I've never played a game that required me to load and ready the gun like this:
https://youtu.be/EgtSzSFEkis?t=457

Yup, you can get pretty close with an airsoft rifle too.

44. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 7, 2018, 01:29 jdreyer

YEAH! TRIPPPLES THE CYCLIC RATE!1

43. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 20:14 RedEye9

The game’s afoot.

42. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 19:49 jdreyer

41. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 19:33 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 16:28:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 16:04:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 15:53:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 15:50:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 15:41:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 14:01:
Yeah, it's pretty much a myth that anyone and everyone can get one at anytime they want.

No it's definitely not a myth. You can walk into a gun show in many states, like Ohio for example, and buy a gun with zero paperwork exchanged and that's legal.

Only if you are buying from a private citizen. Any registered FFL dealer must fill out a form 4473 and do a NICS check on any firearms transaction regardless of where it takes place or they are breaking federal law and will wind up in federal pound me in the ass prison.

Private citizen are not allowed to use the NICS system, even though we have been asking for decades. However, you are not supposed to sell to any person you know to be a prohibited buyer. How can I tell if you won't let me use NICS? I play the safe road. I only sell to people that have their concealed handgun permit in NC so that I can be sure they have passed a background check.

This is the so called "gunshow loophole" myth. It works the same at a gunshow or over the internet or in person. Gunshows are not immune to Federal Firearms Laws.

You can keep saying it's a "myth" but it doesn't change that I can walk into an Ohio gunshow and buy a gun without even showing so much as an ID.

You have of course tested this yourself and are speaking from first hand knowledge?

Yes I went to an Ohio gun show and saw sales take place on the floor (not in the parking lot) where no information was exchanged. If you just do a search for "ohio gun show laws" you'll see that it's common and advertised knowledge. Background checks are not required, licenses are not required, you can sell with no paperwork at an Ohio gun show.
Another loophole: most states don't require a person to report a stolen gun. Sell the gun for cash, and if it's used in a crime, you can simply claim it was stolen.

40. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 19:21 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 17:51:
It's like when they blamed games for training kids how to shoot real guns. There are a ton of videos on You Tube that disprove this theory. Shooting in games is very, very different from shooting in real life. Most of the people tested could not even get the firearm loaded correctly without help, let alone get it to a state where it could be fired by pulling the trigger.

There was an interview with a gun shop owner describing how CoD players would come in and check out the guns. They'd look down the scope and ask, "How do I make it zoom in?"

No doubt.
But I've never played a game that required me to load and ready the gun like this:
https://youtu.be/EgtSzSFEkis?t=457

39. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 17:51 jdreyer

38. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 16:29 Sepharo

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 16:07:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 15:51:
Realistic VR gun range where you need to pull the bolt, push the release, whatever the fuck you'd do with the real gun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZssqtbeijiM

One of the rough CS-like games I mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWXgrkmBEQ

Again, just watching that video makes me laugh. You'd have a better time watching you tube to learn how they work in real life. THis is like learning vascular surgery from that horrible surgery simulator.

Just letting you know that they exist since you said you had never seen them before. There they are.

37. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 16:28 Sepharo

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 16:04:
Yeah, it's pretty much a myth that anyone and everyone can get one at anytime they want.

No it's definitely not a myth. You can walk into a gun show in many states, like Ohio for example, and buy a gun with zero paperwork exchanged and that's legal.

Only if you are buying from a private citizen. Any registered FFL dealer must fill out a form 4473 and do a NICS check on any firearms transaction regardless of where it takes place or they are breaking federal law and will wind up in federal pound me in the ass prison.

Private citizen are not allowed to use the NICS system, even though we have been asking for decades. However, you are not supposed to sell to any person you know to be a prohibited buyer. How can I tell if you won't let me use NICS? I play the safe road. I only sell to people that have their concealed handgun permit in NC so that I can be sure they have passed a background check.

This is the so called "gunshow loophole" myth. It works the same at a gunshow or over the internet or in person. Gunshows are not immune to Federal Firearms Laws.

You can keep saying it's a "myth" but it doesn't change that I can walk into an Ohio gunshow and buy a gun without even showing so much as an ID.

You have of course tested this yourself and are speaking from first hand knowledge?

Yes I went to an Ohio gun show and saw sales take place on the floor (not in the parking lot) where no information was exchanged. If you just do a search for "ohio gun show laws" you'll see that it's common and advertised knowledge. Background checks are not required, licenses are not required, you can sell with no paperwork at an Ohio gun show.

36. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 16:08 RedEye9

Flatline wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:45:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:03:
The Pyro wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 12:58:
Gun lobby desperately searches for a scapegoat that is not guns.

I'm a "gun person" but I cringe every time the NRA decides to point fingers at games and film. You don't like people blaming guns for violence, so don't be blaming other things that are irrelevant.

I'm a "gun person" too but the NRA just makes me cringe in general. They're about a split hair away from just calling for gun owners to start murdering liberals. They're so apocalyptic and fear-mongering that it's insulting.

They used to not be that way. in the 70's and earlier the NRA advocated for sensible stuff like background checks and really was a gun-owning advocacy group. They've become a gun manufacturer advocacy group and have gone batshiat.

And it won't help. The problem is that by being zero-tolerance, fearmongering, and extremist to the point of nearly calling for open civil violence, they basically refuse to cooperate on anything.

Now for 20 or 30 years, that's been politically viable. But sooner or later, there will be a moment where the public becomes reactionary enough that the NRA won't be able to hold the tide back. In that moment they'll try to find a "middle ground" but by that point the reactionism will be extreme enough that no middle ground will be viable and we'll see some major retaliatory legislation against guns, up to and including a 2nd amendment repeal.

And even as a "gun person" who wants some f*cking sanity in our gun legislation, that kind of reactionary pushback scares me. But it's the only thing that *will* move the needle in any significant way because the gun lobby and politicians feel like this is an invulnerable, immutable argument that they have.
If you cringe about the NRA, just wait until you see NRA TV.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LEcbagW4O-s

The game’s afoot.

35. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 16:07 Agent.X7

Sepharo wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 15:51:
Realistic VR gun range where you need to pull the bolt, push the release, whatever the fuck you'd do with the real gun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZssqtbeijiM

One of the rough CS-like games I mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWXgrkmBEQ

Again, just watching that video makes me laugh. You'd have a better time watching you tube to learn how they work in real life. THis is like learning vascular surgery from that horrible surgery simulator.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

34. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 16:04 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo