Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I have to express a little gratitude to the fates for the fact that you are reading these words right now. While the precipitation from last weekend's bomb cyclone was not that overwhelming, the insane winds that it brought left thousands of households in our general area without power, and some outages are yet to be cleared up. This includes our neighbor across the street whose electric main was pulled by a falling tree, which could pretty easily have happened here. Our neighbor remains without power as Consolidated Edison presumably repairs wires that will restore multiple homes at once. The weird thing is that the wire that broke is still attached to the pole, and is still live. This has been coiled neatly, but besides a couple of reflectors on the ground, Con Ed's way of keeping this safe is to have an employee sit nearby in a car to warn people not to go near it. There has been someone sitting out there 24/7 like this for the past few days, which seems more than a little odd.

R.I.P.: Tower Records founder Russ Solomon's death: Social media reaction. Thanks Neutronbeam…

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Ado Cars Drifter.
Links: Blended Beef-Mushroom Burgers.
Stories: Billionaire Paul Allen Discovers World War II Era Aircraft Carrier in Australia's Coral Sea. Thanks K.
Embiggen, a Word The Simpsons Made Up, Is Now in the Dictionary.
Winter Storm Quinn Brings Blizzard Conditions to the Northern Plains and Spreads Snow Through the Midwest, Great Lakes.
Science: Alzheimer's researchers win brain prize.
Media: Yoga Cats.
The Baby Cage: A Penthouse for a Baby? - British Pathé.
Google Maps is Different in Other Countries.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 22:43 DrSquick

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 11:51:
Okay, having a Con Ed. person sitting there 24/7 is not only odd, it is simply crazy. Never heard of such a thing. I'm glad the power lines in my neighborhood are underground. Power outages for me are always large deals which are almost always quickly addressed.

A different power company does the same thing in Michigan. After every storm the radio is filled with commercials letting us know that EVERY DTE Energy employee, including entry-level phone people, are dispatched after a storm to watch downed power lines.

I truly feel safe knowing that a 19 year old phone rep with one hour of training is taking care of me.

But I will say, less than a week ago when this same storm hit us I had an 8,000 volt line dragged down to my metal fence by a fallen tree 25' from my main entrance. I was a bit freaked out... I didn't touch the fence, the kids were not allowed out unless they were held by us. Even the power company employee that came the next day sorta did a limbo to not touch the possible energized fence. Our power flickered like crazy while the line was down, but we never went out, and I never saw a spark, so I have no idea if it was actually energized.

Power is scary yo...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 21:25 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 20:26:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 20:14:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 19:00:
They are WIDENING the EXITs at the white house as people quit in droves.
dRumpf economic adviser Gary Cohn Quits

I heard this morning that the average stay of a Trump cabinet member is 76 days. Insane.

Also, Obama had 5 different communication directors in 8 years. Trump had his fifth just quit.
You mean 7.6 Scaramucci's*.
Please use the correct terminology.

* the use of Scaramucci's tenure as a unit of time, Beamer

So funny.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 20:26 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 20:14:

I heard this morning that the average stay of a Trump cabinet member is 76 days. Insane.

Also, Obama had 5 different communication directors in 8 years. Trump had his fifth just quit.
You mean 7.6 Scaramucci's*.
Please use the correct terminology.

* the use of Scaramucci's tenure as a unit of time, Beamer

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 20:14 jdreyer

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 19:00 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 18:58 NKD

Has anyone else had problems changing their avatar? I've tried changing mine 2 or 3 times, it says it has been submitted, and then after a while my old avatar reappears.  

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 16:25 Mr. Tact

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:57:
As a German I am so pampered that I can't even recall the last time power went out.
The problem is highly variable. For instance, within my county (an area of 998 sq mi or 2,585 sq km and a population of just over 200k) after severe storms (I'm in a tornado prone part of the US) it is common to hear reports of power outages within the county. Often the outages are due to downed power lines/poles. However as I said, my neighborhood has underground power lines so rarely does my immediate area experience those outages.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 15:10 Hoop

Nothing is going to embiggen baby more than the healthy gas emissions filling the street.
Look at her coughing with gratitude mother, you've earned a healthy Woodbine cigarette.
Woodbines!
Guaranteed to cure cancer germs.

Um .. Behind you...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 13:57 eRe4s3r

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 11:51:
Okay, having a Con Ed. person sitting there 24/7 is not only odd, it is simply crazy. Never heard of such a thing. I'm glad the power lines in my neighborhood are underground. Power outages for me are always large deals which are almost always quickly addressed.

As a German I am so pampered that I can't even recall the last time power went out. But if large scale damage to power networks occurs you can not just willy nilly cut power to all lines. If the frequency drops below 49hz you can end up disconnecting yourself from the entire power grid and that would take weeks to fix, because you can't reconnect 2 power networks with different frequency, the syncing in such a island situation is a nightmare. Often it's better to leave important lines up even if they are damaged until you have enough others repaired to reroute that main line without it causing a total collapse into power islands of everything else attached.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 12:22 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 12:07:
And how much money have they wasted doing that instead of having someone just cut the damn wire at the pole in the first place? Then again, it could be a law enforcement stakeout of some kind instead.

No, I'm going to go with incompetence. The easiest explanation is usually the correct one. My cousin in the 'Lord's Valley' area of PA (wherever that is, born and raised in Sussex County, NJ, a stone's throw away and never heard of it, somewhere around Milford apparently) has been out since noon Friday and looking at another 20 inches of snow on top of the 20 inches they already have - he doesn't expect to see the power again for a while. Luckily they have a generator, though other supplies (bread, batteries, milk - food, in general) are running out as the local stores have none, including gas. Fingers crossed everyone gets their power back and this coming storm isn't anywhere near as bad as the previous!

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 12:07 Cutter

And how much money have they wasted doing that instead of having someone just cut the damn wire at the pole in the first place? Then again, it could be a law enforcement stakeout of some kind instead.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 11:51 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Simpsons - Embiggen Mar 6, 2018, 11:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Embiggen? I don't see why it wouldn't be in the dictionary, it's a perfectly cromulent word.

What the hell, cromulent is in dictionary.com also, from the Simpsons.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo