Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed

A post to the Grim Dawn Forums announces Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods, a new expansion in the works for Grim Dawn, Crate Entertainment's action/RPG (thanks CthulhuFan). They are playing this one a little close to the vest, as they haven't yet tweeted this or posted it to the website, but they say it will be released in the second half of this year and that they will be revealing more details in two weeks. In the meantime, they offer a wallpaper and the following:

In the Forgotten Gods expansion, you will journey beyond the bounds of the Erulan Empire, traversing burning sands, lush oases and volcanic wastes to reach the sun beaten ruins of a city with secrets that should never have been disturbed. The flames of a forgotten god have been rekindled, sending ripples through the Eldritch realm and sowing terror even among the Witch Gods themselves.

Along with quality of life features, you will pursue new powers, hundreds of new Unique items and Monster Infrequents and more! Battle dozens of new foes across new dungeons and a new gameplay mode which we’ll be discussing in detail in the coming months!

In short, Forgotten Gods will be another thrilling densely-packed addition to the critically acclaimed Grim Dawn and its first expansion, Ashes of Malmouth.

The best news of all though is that not only has work on this expansion already begun, it’s well underway. We expect Forgotten Gods to release in the second half of 2018!

We are very excited to share more details of what’s coming in the Forgotten Gods expansion, so be sure to stay tuned for future Grim Misadventures as we return to our regular bi-weekly update schedule.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Eager to learn more about the upcoming Forgotten Gods expansion? Check back on 03/19/2018 for our next development update!

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 14:17 CthulhuFan

Task wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 10:21:

Same here, I don't particularly care if I don't get some super item thing in an ARPG. I just play them for a challenge and the fun of it. With D1, D2, and D3 I played them literally once to complete the single player and that was it. But understandably people play these aRPGs for differing reasons. I don't have Grim Dawn, but if the SP is pretty challenging/meaty I might consider trying this game - full price $24.99 sounds reasonable if there is lot's of content.

That's me in a nutshell too, I don't play Ultimate builds that require MI gear or whatever; I prefer to play veteran mode and just play with skills.

Everybody is different so I certainly respect folks liking this or that when it comes to ARPG but, for me personally, Grim Dawn is tits.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 13:49 Primalchrome

D2 > PoE > D3 (2.0) > GD

Grim Dawn's loot tables took a lot of the fun out of it. And the three guys I played mulitplayer with, we seemed to regularly have lockups and desyncs... So I've never gone back to it. Maybe if this is a couple of bucks on a Steam sale I'll give it a try again. It's hard to allocate time to it, because I still have PoE and D3 to fill that loot itch.

21. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 11:33 eRe4s3r

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 10:05:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 09:49:
Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 08:29:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 03:59:
Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 23:30:
Never quite liked GD, because of the truly god-awful drop rates. Legendaries are supposed to start dropping at 50. I finally quit at 67, when the game had dropped exactly 1 legendary (by the final boss, which is ALWAYS a legendary) and it was one I couldn't use at all. Why devs continue to insist on absolutely fucking retardedly low drop rates, I'll never understand.

Grim Dawn makes Borderlands 2 look downright generous in comparison.

I did play it again with a mod that

A) Massively upped the drop rates
B) Gave you like 3 or 5 skill points per level

but to make up for it, it also continuously increased the monster spawns as you leveled up. By the time I reached level ~ 60 with that, the entire screen would be filled with critters. It was actually a lot of fun, until the engine finally croaked on the thousands of spawns it was asked to create.

In any case, I got ashes of malmouth and thought it was pretty mediocre, so I'm definitely giving this a pass.

I had pretty much the same problem, for a SP game this game is utterly shit when it comes to itemization and loot. I actually KS'd the game originally and dropped it cold and hard after reaching level 50 and never finding a single usable legendary till then, not ONE.

NOT ONE

That would be just your dumb luck then, I've got a few chars over level 65 and I have them fully outfitted with legendary items.

Dont believe me, then join me in a steam game, Ill prove it and even drop you a few items to keep if you like.

We can always meet up in D3 Torment 12

I play D3 every so often, im around paragon 1200 something. My brother who is a fanatic for this game and in the best guild you can be in is over 3000 paragon.

You can add me in Battlenet if you like, I play a demon hunter as my main and a few other support toons too.

look up dark#1182

Would love to, but it tells me I can't add you because you are in different battle.net region. ;/

Here https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/eRe4s3r-2812/hero/3677835 you can see my WD and favorite at least And probably the reason I don't like Grim Dawn.. no equivalent class or build possible. Well, at least I never got anywhere close to this in Grim Dawn and I REALLY tried. I don't play D3 regularly anymore, but I still have it installed, unlike Grim Dawn ;/ Ps.: It's a solo focused horde build, so enchantress is for CC and my horde is for damage, I just stand back and apply the various legendary triggering effects

Currently downloading FF15 on my 6mbit pipe so not even an option to play it right now :/

And just to make it clear, I found Grim Dawn boring mostly because Diablo 3 after patch 2.0 (I had entirely stopped playing any of it until that hit) was such a blast that I could never go back. When my WD starts a rolling it's like the very fist of god descending upon the demon armies. Things die so fast I often can't even see them. And that is really fun ;p Loot is obviously secondary with such a "decked out" char. I only collect it for my other chars and otherwise it's just for the grinder anyway. (WD and Necro have overlap to some small extend) and I am super proud of that weapon on my WD btw

That char has less than 120hrs invested.

Ps.: If you really want to play with me something, it'd nowadays be Factorio coop ^^

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2018, 12:03.

20. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 10:21 Task

Slashman wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 08:32:
I don't get the fixation on Legendary items before they are supposed to drop and I don't think the game is particularly boring to start if you play on veteran. The game has a ton of optional content such that you can vary each playthrough significantly if you include hidden quests, roguelike dungeons, optional areas and bounties.

Same here, I don't particularly care if I don't get some super item thing in an ARPG. I just play them for a challenge and the fun of it. With D1, D2, and D3 I played them literally once to complete the single player and that was it. But understandably people play these aRPGs for differing reasons. I don't have Grim Dawn, but if the SP is pretty challenging/meaty I might consider trying this game - full price $24.99 sounds reasonable if there is lot's of content.

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

19. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 10:05 Darks

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 09:49:
Never quite liked GD, because of the truly god-awful drop rates. Legendaries are supposed to start dropping at 50. I finally quit at 67, when the game had dropped exactly 1 legendary (by the final boss, which is ALWAYS a legendary) and it was one I couldn't use at all. Why devs continue to insist on absolutely fucking retardedly low drop rates, I'll never understand.

but to make up for it, it also continuously increased the monster spawns as you leveled up. By the time I reached level ~ 60 with that, the entire screen would be filled with critters. It was actually a lot of fun, until the engine finally croaked on the thousands of spawns it was asked to create.

In any case, I got ashes of malmouth and thought it was pretty mediocre, so I'm definitely giving this a pass.

I had pretty much the same problem, for a SP game this game is utterly shit when it comes to itemization and loot. I actually KS'd the game originally and dropped it cold and hard after reaching level 50 and never finding a single usable legendary till then, not ONE.

NOT ONE

That would be just your dumb luck then, I've got a few chars over level 65 and I have them fully outfitted with legendary items.

Dont believe me, then join me in a steam game, Ill prove it and even drop you a few items to keep if you like.

I play D3 every so often, im around paragon 1200 something. My brother who is a fanatic for this game and in the best guild you can be in is over 3000 paragon.

You can add me in Battlenet if you like, I play a demon hunter as my main and a few other support toons too.

look up dark#1182

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

18. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 09:49 eRe4s3r

NOT ONE

Are you right there blaming me for experiencing this games RNG ? No, good sir, game itemization sucks if there is even a chance I don't get any usable legendary for 16 levels, and that's when I stopped playing and uninstalled it ^^ Now over 5 months without this game and feeling swell. Not to mention in 16 levels I got 2 items I could use that were better, end game I think I still had ilvl 43 to 50 items for majority.

17. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 09:35 Creston

panbient wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 06:06:
dropped it cold and hard after reaching level 50 and never finding a single usable legendary till then, not ONE.

NOT ONE

... but legendary items aren't even supposed to start dropping until you're level 50. The only exception I've seen in like 600 hours is if you beat the main story boss before reaching 50.

At the same time I think this is a bit of a situation similar to Pillars of Eternity and Baldur's Gate where so many complaints about PoEt stem from the fact that it doesn't operate on D&D rules and the player's refusal to accept that decision. In Grim Dawn legendary items are powerful but unlike Diablo they're not necessary until end game builds. Same as gearing up based on item level - necessary in Diablo, more likely than not to mess you up in GD. A strong blue item can be far more valuable to a build than a higher level legendary. Heck, some green rings are worth wearing just for the resistance boosts.

Sure, but it's not as if blue items drop with any more regularity. I had maybe two blues by level 50 that were useful.

Once I reached 57, I did a check of my item levels. I was using stuff that was ranked between 42 and 48, with two items that were in the 50s. Meaning that for 15 levels straight, I never got an upgrade for some of my stuff. That's just a retarded drop rate for a game where loot is such an integral part.

For all the shit Diablo 3 (deservedly) got and gets, their Loot 2.0 is fantastic. Grim Dawn's loot system is the dumbest, boring grind possible.

16. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 08:32 Slashman

This thread feels like it is filled with a lot of impatient kids. Which is the opposite of what I expect from Blues.

I don't get the fixation on Legendary items before they are supposed to drop and I don't think the game is particularly boring to start if you play on veteran. The game has a ton of optional content such that you can vary each playthrough significantly if you include hidden quests, roguelike dungeons, optional areas and bounties.

Considering the number of players and popularity of the game, I'm going to have to say that the issue is not the game itself. I have a friend who also plays and the two things we agree we don't like about the game are the new blightfiend necro pet(it looks horrible) and how far apart some of the rifts are from each other.

15. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 08:29 Darks

NOT ONE

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

14. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 07:21 Kajetan

A strong blue item can be far more valuable to a build than a higher level legendary. Heck, some green rings are worth wearing just for the resistance boosts.
Often enough you might want to wear specific "yellow" items, because their values fit perfect to the current boss fight requirements and your chosen strategy, where you want to push on specific number as high as possible.

13. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 07:18 eRe4s3r

dropped it cold and hard after reaching level 50 and never finding a single usable legendary till then, not ONE.

NOT ONE

... but legendary items aren't even supposed to start dropping until you're level 50. The only exception I've seen in like 600 hours is if you beat the main story boss before reaching 50.

At the same time I think this is a bit of a situation similar to Pillars of Eternity and Baldur's Gate where so many complaints about PoEt stem from the fact that it doesn't operate on D&D rules and the player's refusal to accept that decision. In Grim Dawn legendary items are powerful but unlike Diablo they're not necessary until end game builds. Same as gearing up based on item level - necessary in Diablo, more likely than not to mess you up in GD. A strong blue item can be far more valuable to a build than a higher level legendary. Heck, some green rings are worth wearing just for the resistance boosts.

Well, that was kinda my point though For me gameplay changing items need to start dropping BEFORE I get bored, or leveling must be quick and smooth so that at level X stuff drops that is impactful, but long before reaching the boss. Since Grim Dawn abilities are often lackluster and only 2 or 3 are really good for a specific build I found myself wanting some actual change in power levels for the entire time till 50 something and the end boss, but why would I play a boring game beyond the end boss?

Well yeah, I wouldn't. And I didn't. ^^ And so I never actually got any legendaries which is really great game design. ^^

Ps.: Obviously to beat the end boss you have to be above level 50, and I mean it I never got a single usable legendary and I played this game through. Bad RNG leading to this is still bad game design

This game also has the problem that I find it to be one of the worst ARPG's on the market. Path of Exile is superior in every way, and free, but I admit that since i KS'd it I had higher expectations than usual maybe.

12. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 06:06 panbient

NOT ONE

11. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 04:17 Kajetan

NOT ONE
Awwww, poor child!

10. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 03:59 eRe4s3r

NOT ONE

9. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 02:00 El Pit

I enjoyed playing Grim Dawn more than Diablo 3 and Path of Exile. Then again, I played through PoE pretty early after release and once I had finished a playthrough, never touched it again. I will give it another go once I have finished Prey (which is taking some time because I am exploring the levels).  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

8. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 5, 2018, 23:30 Creston

7. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 5, 2018, 22:57 Kxmode

Grim Fandango 2! Yes. "Grim Dawn." Sigh  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

6. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 5, 2018, 21:33 MisterBenn

Grim Dawn's definitely not perfect (the game engine frequently looks good but often shows its age, graphic and sound effects are really hit and miss, some skill are much less fun and interesting to use than others) but it's by far the most fun non-online "play at your own pace" ARPG to me.

And the expansion is really good. The new acts have excellent level design (although navigating in some of act 6 is a pain), and the game mechanics expanded across the board. New factions, components, augments, monster infrequents, farming spots, super bosses, and an entirely new end game itemisation because of a brand new block of Epic/Legendary/Set items from 85-100. I'm still playing regularly (at 832 hours apparently.)

5. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 5, 2018, 21:08 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, Grim Dawn(+Expansion 1 +DLC) must have sold reasonably well, good for Crate!

Having looked at the most recent build of PoE, Grim Dawn is definitely behind in terms of animations/effects these days, and the skill system is somewhat archaic, and really good loot won't start dropping until you hit level 50, all of which can add up to making you guys not like the game much.

Monster density goes WAY up in later zones/Ashes of Malmouth, but the earliest zones are a bit more sparse.

You need one high damage single target skill, and one decent AoE skill at the very least, along with auras/passives and some decent resistances. With the above, you can get through all of normal and elite with pretty much any build. Of course less focused builds work too, through all of elite, and hopefully by the time you get to Ultimate you understand your build/items/game mechanics enough to handle the jump in hp/damage on Ultimate enemies, and encounters with Nemesis-type creatures.

Boots with +run speed, enhanced with Mark of the Traveler are good to have, and +Skill items of course.

That said, this game isn't for everyone, even among ARPGs. PoE is in a pretty great spot, if you can tolerate their looting model, and of course Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, and a horde of lesser known clones out there.

One PoE concept Grim Dawn should definitely steal, is the ONE difficulty concept, with a rebalanced leveling system to accomodate that. I don't think it's feasible yet though; that would take a pretty serious redesign. But how can you sell Grim Dawn to people when they learn that, at bare minimum, a character has to go through the entire campaign 3 times, not counting trips to the Crucible, to be 'done' ?

All that said, I will most definitely get this expansion, I have like 12 characters at various levels, that will all need new loot.

4. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 5, 2018, 19:08 Rhett

Yeah.. it's annoying because the real game doesn't start until like 40+ levels in. I have to use a trainer to get most of my enjoyment out of it, since I forget how to play and end up making a new character usually.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38266

This trainer lets you do a lot of things you'd think only mods could do. I like to raise monster density to 2-3x, and increase run speed. You can also reset vendors, fix your stats/builds if you don't like them (though GD keeps offering more ways to fix these in-game, this is just easier to try builds out).

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo