Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well things are back to normal here in the BlueTower, meaning we have workmen running around, something that's been the normal state around here for a year now. You may recall we had a ceiling collapse when the shower above it released a bunch of water. Having worked our way through the claim process with our insurer, we now have contractors patching the hole in the ceiling. The floor of the shower above it has been torn out and a new shower pan is installed, so that's just waiting to be tiled. There's still some work on the ground floor where the water settled, so it's hard to say how long this will all take, but I'm assuming we'll be done in less than two weeks. Of course I first thought that around 10 months ago, so who knows?

Unknown Links: Thanks Ant and RedEye9.
Play: Cyber Rider Turbo.
Safe Haven.
Stories: Oscars 2018: 15 things to know, from the awkward red carpet to the ‘Lady Bird’ snub.
'Klingon tourist center' opens in Sweden. Qatlho' theAntiELVIS.
Science: Five myths about outbreaks.
Media: PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games - Robot Skiing.
GENERATIONS REACT TO TOP 10 VIDEO GAME SYSTEMS OF ALL TIME.
Cardboard Plane. NSFW.
The Funnies: Loot Boxing - FoxTrot.
Dilbert.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 10:19 Mr. Tact

Oh and as far as the 47 lvls in three days, yeah pretty wimpy. Especially for someone who has as much "free time" as I do. That represents just over 10 hours of game time. I had intended to do a long hard gaming session as soon as the league opened on Friday afternoon. I was there for the start, and for the first two hours I was closer in lvl to the people leading the race than I would have thought I'd be. But I couldn't hold the gaming mood, and stopped after three hours.

Seeing as it is "only" ten hours, I probably should just start over, but the idea just really annoys me...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Path of Exile Mar 6, 2018, 07:25 Mr. Tact

Asmodai wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 02:05:
Neither, it's the determined hard core aspect of the game and it's aimed at a niche audience rather than for broad appeal (that's Diablo III)

There's no character respec for cash option available, he's talking cheaper in game currency. Regret orbs, 1 per point removed, are relatively rare and ergo it's hard to pile up 50 odd just to reset a character.

Given how quickly you can level to 60+, he's better off putting his gear in the shared bank and rolling a new toon. 47 in three days = he's not getting any league firsts any time soon, and gear is not soulbound so any luck he's had in grinding up the toon is transferable.

Could be worse (ie. losing multiple hardcore toons to the still buggy netcode, happened to me a few times).
I think everything you said is accurate. That doesn't mean I like it.

As far as the build, it is a mix between I messed up and I changed my mind. Since I am not a hardcore player, I can't and don't "design" builds. I read about them in the forums, pick one and follow it. I was working on a Cyclone Physical damage Duelist/Slayer. I picked one but wasn't careful enough in reading it. Eventually I decided the build wasn't right for me and I want to switch to another which uses an interior vs. an exterior path from Duelist to the left side of the tree. Haven't decided what I'll do yet...

Asmodai, do you think allowing one or two resets per character as I suggested would damage the game? And if so, could you explain why?

17. Re: Path of Exile Mar 6, 2018, 02:13 Asmodai

Gotta ask though, how badly do you muff up a build that badly that you need more respec points than they give you in the process of leveling?? Roll a RF templar and you went straight to chaos innoculation??

If the build is that fundamentally shot to shit, deep six it.

16. Re: Path of Exile Mar 6, 2018, 02:05 Asmodai

jdreyer wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 01:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 18:07:
Okay -- here is the thing I don't like about PoE. New league started Friday. I have my new character up to level 47, but I've realized I made a significant error in my passive tree. The currency cost to fix it is high enough that it probably would be "cheaper" to start another character from scratch. That's crazy.

There needs to be some kind of mechanism for getting at least one or two full resets per character. Like you start with one available, or maybe you get one upon reaching lvl 50. Something. Having to know exactly what you are going to do with your character before you start it is just bad design.

It's either bad design, or a great money making opportunity. Hmm...

Neither, it's the determined hard core aspect of the game and it's aimed at a niche audience rather than for broad appeal (that's Diablo III)

There's no character respec for cash option available, he's talking cheaper in game currency. Regret orbs, 1 per point removed, are relatively rare and ergo it's hard to pile up 50 odd just to reset a character.

Given how quickly you can level to 60+, he's better off putting his gear in the shared bank and rolling a new toon. 47 in three days = he's not getting any league firsts any time soon, and gear is not soulbound so any luck he's had in grinding up the toon is transferable.

Could be worse (ie. losing multiple hardcore toons to the still buggy netcode, happened to me a few times).

15. Re: Path of Exile Mar 6, 2018, 01:56 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 18:07:
Okay -- here is the thing I don't like about PoE. New league started Friday. I have my new character up to level 47, but I've realized I made a significant error in my passive tree. The currency cost to fix it is high enough that it probably would be "cheaper" to start another character from scratch. That's crazy.

There needs to be some kind of mechanism for getting at least one or two full resets per character. Like you start with one available, or maybe you get one upon reaching lvl 50. Something. Having to know exactly what you are going to do with your character before you start it is just bad design.

It's either bad design, or a great money making opportunity. Hmm...

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 01:55 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 18:31:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 11:36:
Question: I want to cast my phone or tablet to a PC monitor I've got. Unfortunately the monitor only has Displayport, DVI, and VGA. I've seen lots of devices that will cast to HDMI, but none to Displayport. My concern is that the HDMI handshake will be lost if I use an adapter. Does anyone have any advice/experience doing this? Would make my wife happy. Thanks!

what about DVI? no handshake at all there.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to hunt around and see if I have a HDMI to DVI adapter.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 18:31 1badmf

[quote="jdreyer"Mar 5, 2018, 11:36"22024uestion: I want to cast my phone or tablet to a PC monitor I've got. Unfortunately the monitor only has Displayport, DVI, and VGA. I've seen lots of devices that will cast to HDMI, but none to Displayport. My concern is that the HDMI handshake will be lost if I use an adapter. Does anyone have any advice/experience doing this? Would make my wife happy. Thanks!
what about DVI? no handshake at all there.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 18:24 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 17:45:
I forwarded a link to that Dilbert strip to two people separately. They both responded with (paraphrased), "Life at Apple."
Yep, when I saw it yesterday I immediately forwarded it to news @ bluenews. Figured it would resonate.
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 17:53:
Okay, I gotta say about/to Sam Nunberg, nice bluff. I hope Mueller calls it and you end up in a very nice 6x8...
They're building new prisons for this administration, complete with 'Benedict Donald ' branded 9-hole golf courses.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

11. Re: Path of Exile Mar 5, 2018, 18:07 Mr. Tact

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 17:53 Mr. Tact

Okay, I gotta say about/to Sam Nunberg, nice bluff. I hope Mueller calls it and you end up in a very nice 6x8...  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 17:45 Mr. Tact

I forwarded a link to that Dilbert strip to two people separately. They both responded with (paraphrased), "Life at Apple."  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 17:28 YourNick

Ya Dilbert is spot on. If the next model isn't significantly better than the current model, make the current model slower to make it seem significantly better by comparison.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 14:08 RedEye9

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

judge Orders Martian Shkreli to give up $7.36 million

"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 12:51 RedEye9

[quote="jdreyer"Mar 5, 2018, 11:36"22024uestion: I want to cast my phone or tablet to a PC monitor I've got. Unfortunately the monitor only has Displayport, DVI, and VGA. I've seen lots of devices that will cast to HDMI, but none to Displayport. My concern is that the HDMI handshake will be lost if I use an adapter. Does anyone have any advice/experience doing this? Would make my wife happy. Thanks!

Easiest would be to buy a new monitor and please the spousal unit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/5hpysu/chromecast_ultra_displayport/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6cN177yOHQ
good luck

"Nullity's Law"

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 11:38 jdreyer

K'PLAH!

*books flight*

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 11:36 jdreyer

Question: I want to cast my phone or tablet to a PC monitor I've got. Unfortunately the monitor only has Displayport, DVI, and VGA. I've seen lots of devices that will cast to HDMI, but none to Displayport. My concern is that the HDMI handshake will be lost if I use an adapter. Does anyone have any advice/experience doing this? Would make my wife happy. Thanks!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 11:32 Mr. Tact

Home repairs and renovations -- just few steps short of hell on earth. Keep your chin up, Blue.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 10:47 Cutter

Lol @Dilbert. Spot on.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 10:25 RedEye9

OK, the cardboard plane was amazing, KTC in Sweden, not so much.

"Nullity's Law"

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo