Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, we survived the bomb cyclone, and the ensuing rain combined with the mild temperatures so that after hours of snow, we ended up with less snow on the ground than we had when the snow started. We had a surprisingly close call along the way, though. A fairly substantial tree across the street snapped at the base due to high wind and some dry rot. The wind was blowing perpendicular to the street, but this sucker fought that to fall 45 cross-wind in an effort to reach my car. This was dramatically close, I'd say the tips of the branches were about two feet from the car when it came to rest. The neighbor across the street wasn't so lucky, as the tree yanked the electrical main right out of her house, and as far as we can see, this still hasn't been fixed, though the tree was cleared after a few hours. It's clear out there now, but not calm, as the high winds persist, presumably hunting for more vulnerable trees to separate from the herd.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Feudal Wars.
Stories: "Six Billion Dollar Man" Set For 2019.
Warren Beatty , Faye Dunaway will give Oscars 2018 a Hollywood ending.
Science: Stephen Hawking Claims To Know What Happened Before The Big Bang.
Media: FORTNITE (Honest Game Trailers).
HeroStorm Ep37 '360 No Hope.'
Jennifer Lawrence Takes a Lie Detector Test. Thanks RedEye9.
Follow-up: At least 6 dead as Nor'easter slams East Coast with violent wind, rain, snow and floods.
The Funnies: Adult Children.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 19:13 Mr. Tact

Kxmode wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 18:49:
Stephen Hawking's knows a great deal, but when it comes to what happened before the big bang,
Man, are you dense. Hawking didn't claim to know anything about what happened prior to the big bang. The headline is a lie. As I said before -- Hawking basically implies the question doesn't make any sense.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 18:49 Kxmode

Redmask wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 16:49:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 14:11:

Really? Scientists don't know what "darkmatter/energy/whatchamacallit" is even though the stuff makes up 96% of the -- at present -- known universe. That's a REALLY big unknown variable. I think before he makes such a bold claim, he should try and find out what that elusive nougat is. Or should we simply take his word on faith?

Speaking of which, since we're in faithland, I'd like to state when time began using the Bible.

(Colossians 1:15,16) "He [or Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible,"

Jehovah God did not need "time." Time as a construct only came into existence after Jesus.

It is really something to observe religion attempt to co-opt science, after hundreds of years of fighting it. Almost like a dog licking its own asshole.

It is more about making baseless claims. Dark matter/energy is an 800-pound elephant in the room that continues to baffle scientists, and yet they make claims of knowing what happened before the big bang. Really?! Human's can't predict the future with any level of precision, so how can they predict billion of years into the past with a hulking anomaly like dark matter/energy? Frankly, it is human arrogance. Stephen Hawking's knows a great deal, but when it comes to what happened before the big bang, he knows as much as an ant knows about the weather.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

13. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 18:45 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 14:35:
Oh brother, please stop with nonsense quotes.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 18:38 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 14:33:
Jesus invented time? That's a new one. How old do you think the world is?

No. Jehovah God created time, remember as a construct, after creating Jesus. From the moment of Jesus' "birth," time moved forward, and measured events in the universe and upon the earth. Even Jehovah God himself follows a schedule. An example of this is found in a common statement by Jesus, "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matthew 24:36) Perhaps some form of time existed before Jesus. I do not know, but what I can say is when it started, according to an extrapolation of what the Bible says.

According to proven scientific methods the earth is around 4 billion years old. The universe is around 14 billion; just in case you would like to know how old Jesus is.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 17:47 RedEye9

A Week 'Lost In The West Wing Reality Show'

Here are a few highlights with more in the article:
There's no Hope
Retreat on guns
Never get involved in a trade war in Asia!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 17:46 Kxmode

Watched two great anime films that I personally recommend.

- Wolf Children (the feels run deep)
- The Boy and The Beast (laughed more than a few times)

Both made by the same studio.

9. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 16:49 Redmask

Kxmode wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 14:11:

Really? Scientists don't know what "darkmatter/energy/whatchamacallit" is even though the stuff makes up 96% of the -- at present -- known universe. That's a REALLY big unknown variable. I think before he makes such a bold claim, he should try and find out what that elusive nougat is. Or should we simply take his word on faith?

Speaking of which, since we're in faithland, I'd like to state when time began using the Bible.

(Colossians 1:15,16) "He [or Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible,"

Jehovah God did not need "time." Time as a construct only came into existence after Jesus.

It is really something to observe religion attempt to co-opt science, after hundreds of years of fighting it. Almost like a dog licking its own asshole.

8. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 15:28 NKD

That's a pretty clickbait title. That's not what Hawking said at all.  

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

7. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 14:46 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 14:33:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 14:35:

Hawking's answer doesn't require any faith. He is basically saying, the question makes no sense. Although not present in this particular article I saw a good analogy in another. It is as if you were to ask, "How come I can't go North from the North Pole?"
Merriam Webster dictionary defines the word gospel as :
something accepted or promoted as infallible truth or as a guiding principle or doctrine
and even gives the following examples.
took her words as gospel

spreading the gospel of conservation

I did not know there was another definition of the word.

6. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 14:35 Mr. Tact

Hawking's answer doesn't require any faith. He is basically saying, the question makes no sense. Although not present in this particular article I saw a good analogy in another. It is as if you were to ask, "How come I can't go North from the North Pole?"

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 14:33 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 14:11 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 11:15:
If Stephen Hawking claims to know what happened before the big bang then it's the gospel.

Really? Scientists don't know what "dark matter/energy/whatchamacallit" is even though the stuff makes up 96% of the -- at present -- known universe. That's a REALLY big unknown variable. I think before he makes such a bold claim, he should try and find out what that elusive nougat is. Or should we simply take his word on faith?

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2018, 14:23.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 12:35 Cutter

Six Billion Dollar Man? Seeing as technology gets better and cheaper shouldn't he be the Six Hundred Thousand Dollar Man by now? I guess not if the US MIC has anything to do with it. In that case it would end up as the Sixty Billion Dollar Man.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 11:33 RedEye9

Alabama's Roy Moore says he's broke, makes public plea for $250,000 not worth the trouble to create a hyperlink
Game over sleezebag

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 11:15 RedEye9

If Stephen Hawking claims to know what happened before the big bang then it's the gospel.

Check out The Accountant (2001)
Dark comedy at it's finest.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0222675/
in toto; https://youtu.be/G9PMI7a2Fw4kk

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo