Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Trump Calls Game Meeting

Business Insider has word that White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced today that video game executives are coming to the White House to meet with the president next week. According to the report this was in response to a question about the likelihood of passing gun control legislation, so this is a pretty direct deflection. In an odd twist, Ars Technica reports President Trump apparently does not restrict his 11 year-old son's access to violent media, in spite of concerns he's expressed about its influence. In an even odder twist, apparently the video game executives first heard about this along with everyone else, as the Washington Post's Tony Romm tweets that the ESA says nobody has yet been invited to this meeting:

The video game trade group in D.C., called ESA, has this statement: “ESA and our member companies have not received an invitation to meet with President Trump."

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

40. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 11:37 SimplyMonk

sliv wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 11:19:
Mature adults generally don't mind talking with those with different opinions.

Intelligent human beings don't trade in veiled insults about maturity and age. In addition, having a discussion with someone over their differing opinion is generally an exercise in futility because a person's opinion is rarely open to being changed by mere discussion.

If you want to to have a real conversation bring some solid evidence to the table that people can present counter evidence too or pick apart the flaws in. Just making blanket statements and then shouting to the wind "prove me wrong" just invites equally empty retorts and does nothing to change anyone's mind.

There is not enough time in existence to waste it countering every random notion that comes across someone's consciousness and explaining to them why it is the wrong conclusion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 11:26 El Pit

TrumpCon at the White House! Get your tickets NOW for just $999,999 (early bird price) directly from our office at Trump Tower!

YAY!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

38. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 11:19 sliv

Numinar wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:02:
sliv wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 09:44:
ECHO CHAMBER! .... echo chamber ... echo chamber ...

Yep, it's still working

Maybe. Or maybe your ideas are wrong and/or you are in the very tiny, possibly idiotic minority. At least on this board.

No, I think most don't even bother having a conversation because it's futile. Especially when you immediately think someone who has a different opinion than yours as "wrong" and part of a "tiny, possibly idiotic minority".

I offer this as evidence as to why no one responds, it's a complete and total exercise in futility. But, please, continue going on and on how superior your opinion is stating them as facts to your assumed majority. Mature adults generally don't mind talking with those with different opinions. They call it "open-mindedness" but that doesn't matter these days.

You all are acting like this attack on the video game industry has never been brought up before. I don't think video games have anything to do with shootings at school or gun violence in general but to continue carrying on blaming everyone you personally despise just to add fuel to your special little fire; it's nauseating.

37. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 11:13 RedEye9

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:23:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:17:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:08:

Earth to posters, if you think the democrats are any better, just read some of Schumer's or Pelosi's posts.

Whataboutism's not withstanding, last I checked neither Pelosi nor Schumer are currently sHitting sitting in the Oval Office.

Love how you people always cry about things you dont like yet you dont even send a single letter to your representative.
I love it how "you" people "know" what the rest of us do.
Since I doubt you're all-knowing it leaves mental illness as the only other option, seek help.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

36. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Mar 2, 2018, 11:04 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:57:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 00:17:
No better way to throw kids into a violent rage than to take their games away. Great idea.

It's worse than that. The rise of gaming popularity correlates precisely with the drastic drop in violent crime that we've seen over the past two decades. Academics have yet to investigate this in any meaningful way, but it's my hypothesis that there's some causation there. With criminal-aged kids engaged in CoD for hours a day, they're not bored on the streets. Same with the rise in pr0n: sexual crimes are way down (even while ED is 10x greater among 18-35 year olds compared to previous generations).

I think it's indisputable that video games contribute to our gun-glorifying culture. However:

1) Video games also contribute to our car loving culture. That doesn't mean they're a strong enough cause of drunk driving to ban them. At some point, this is so distant that who fucking cares?

2) Our gun glorifying culture is less a cause for these shootings and more a cause for guns being available. Basically, video games do more to support the NRA than to cause school shootings

3) Yeah, every school shooter plays video games. But not every video game player shoots. In 2018 (and 2010, and 2005), every male teen plays video games. And school shooters tend to be alienated and bullied, who tend to retreat to fictional worlds more often as a result. I'm sure every school shooter also read more than normal kids. Should we blame books? That's rhetorical, please Trump, don't blame books

But this is almost definitely going nowhere. It doesn't bother me as much as Trump saying he'd violate 2nd Amendment rights on people just for being investigated after a tip. We can define things with laws, or change Amendments, but his solution was just do it, which is bad. If we just do it on one thing this ass will want to just do it on more.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 11:01 jdreyer

Another stunt by Trump, he certainly enjoys stirring the pot.

Earth to posters, if you think the democrats are any better, just read some of Shumer's or Pelosi's posts.

Both parties are screwed up beyond help and the 2020 election is going to be just as bad as the last one. You watch, the democrats will put up another left wing nut leaving us with little choice like the last election.

The only positive thing is just maybe we will see some significant move by third parties that are not extreme.

"Both sides do it!!1"

Yes, but not anywhere near equally. Republicans don't even pretend to do things for anyone other than their donors. At least Dems, while being beholden to big business, try and pass meaningful legislation for the common man.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

34. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Mar 2, 2018, 10:57 jdreyer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 00:17:
No better way to throw kids into a violent rage than to take their games away. Great idea.

It's worse than that. The rise of gaming popularity correlates precisely with the drastic drop in violent crime that we've seen over the past two decades. Academics have yet to investigate this in any meaningful way, but it's my hypothesis that there's some causation there. With criminal-aged kids engaged in CoD for hours a day, they're not bored on the streets. Same with the rise in pr0n: sexual crimes are way down (even while ED is 10x greater among 18-35 year olds compared to previous generations).

33. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:53 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 23:57:
If your going games you need to go movies and tv and some music to. Tons of insensitive and hateful content. If that were ever to be reformed, wow talk about a different world in 25 years. Now you'll need votes from the people and congress and for years in succession to pull this stunt off. I don't think he has it in him.

Hey, hey. Games are "different." They are "interactive." Clicking a mouse button to shoot is the same as pulling the trigger on a gun. Them games are dangerous, doncha know.

32. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:52 jdreyer

MrGrosser wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 23:20:
Don't take our games away!

"You can have my games when you pull them from my cold dead fingers!"

31. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:23 Muscular Beaver

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:17:

Earth to posters, if you think the democrats are any better, just read some of Schumer's or Pelosi's posts.

Whataboutism's not withstanding, last I checked neither Pelosi nor Schumer are currently sHitting sitting in the Oval Office.

But if the opposition is bad already, you know how they would be if they were in power. Much worse.
That much said, lets actually help them decide instead of "wah wah wahing" around like little children.
Love how you people always cry about things you dont like yet you dont even send a single letter to your representative.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

30. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:20 Beamer

Earth to posters, if you think the democrats are any better, just read some of Shumer's or Pelosi's posts.

Both parties are screwed up beyond help and the 2020 election is going to be just as bad as the last one. You watch, the democrats will put up another left wing nut leaving us with little choice like the last election.

The only positive thing is just maybe we will see some significant move by third parties that are not extreme.

What was leftwing nutish about Hillary? Her policies were pretty center, even for US politics. She wasn't Bernie, and she was infinitely closer to center than Trump is.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:17 RedEye9

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

28. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:08 Ozmodan

27. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:06 Numinar

Task wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:00:
Saboth wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 22:14:
The man needs to be removed from office before he destroys our economy.

While I agree, the U.S. economy has slowly decayed for a few decades now. A slow motion cliff dive or kicking the can down the road. There's also this report that suggests the Fed won't be able to bail out anything during a next recession.

Trumps "Budget" Summarized

Older article but good, Why the US has really gone broke (tldr, High Military Spending Drains Innovation, Investment and Manufacturing Strength from the Civilian Economy)

The multiple still ongoing military 'adventures' debt will be thrown onto the shoulders of our children and their children and so on. I think in at least a couple more generations though the U.S. will probably go through a change as younger generations take over and try something new.

The environmental debt is worse. The next 5 generations will pay the cost regardless, but we can suck it up and make it a little less brutal for our descendants by doing some work now. I have a feeling it would be cheaper than the current methods in the long run in any case, but momentum is with those who made a whole lotta money and therefore influence out of burning dead shit so nothing will change.

26. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:02 Numinar

sliv wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 09:44:

Yep, it's still working

Maybe. Or maybe your ideas are wrong and/or you are in the very tiny, possibly idiotic minority. At least on this board.

25. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:00 Task

Saboth wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 22:14:
The man needs to be removed from office before he destroys our economy.

While I agree, the U.S. economy has slowly decayed for a few decades now. A slow motion cliff dive or kicking the can down the road. There's also this report that suggests the Fed won't be able to bail out anything during a next recession.

Trumps "Budget" Summarized

Older article but good, Why the US has really gone broke (tldr, High Military Spending Drains Innovation, Investment and Manufacturing Strength from the Civilian Economy)

The multiple still ongoing military 'adventures' debt will be thrown onto the shoulders of our children and their children and so on. I think in at least a couple more generations though the U.S. will probably go through a change as younger generations take over and try something new.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

24. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 09:46 Arithon

Ban XBOX Controllers in schools! Arm Teachers with PC Mice!  

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

23. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 09:44 sliv

Yep, it's still working

22. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 09:35 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 09:28:
mr vacuous, needs a distraction from the impending indictments.
The Distractor in Chief needs a distraction, quick, someone aim the laser pointer at the carpet.

21. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 09:28 Acleacius

mr vacuous, needs a distraction from the impending indictments.  
“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo