Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Trump Calls Game Meeting

Business Insider has word that White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced today that video game executives are coming to the White House to meet with the president next week. According to the report this was in response to a question about the likelihood of passing gun control legislation, so this is a pretty direct deflection. In an odd twist, Ars Technica reports President Trump apparently does not restrict his 11 year-old son's access to violent media, in spite of concerns he's expressed about its influence. In an even odder twist, apparently the video game executives first heard about this along with everyone else, as the Washington Post's Tony Romm tweets that the ESA says nobody has yet been invited to this meeting:

The video game trade group in D.C., called ESA, has this statement: “ESA and our member companies have not received an invitation to meet with President Trump."

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

60. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 22:03 Beamer

ventry wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 20:57:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 14:08:
Tangerine Jesus.....Drumpf.....DOTUS...etc

Yes your name calling is sooooo next level intelligent. LARF!

I have also noticed that a lot of Americans have been referring to the "Australian Gun Buy-back" scheme.
The thing those people don't know is that it was all the "Law Abiding" Australians that handed their guns in.
The criminals kept theirs.

He takes after your cult leader in quality name calling, no?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 22:01 ventry

Sepharo wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 21:40:
Right, why have laws at all if criminals are just going to break them anyway.

Yep. I'm sure you'll be on the front lines for "US Civil War Pt2" if they try to take guns from states like Texas, Arkansas, Alabama etc.

More likely you'll be hiding in your basement along with Redbrowneye9 (see I can lower myself to that standard too.)

I'm glad that here in Australia we have less guns but, Australia is NOT the USA.
Apples and oranges.

Laws based on emotional reactions are bad laws.

58. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 21:40 Sepharo

Right, why have laws at all if criminals are just going to break them anyway.  

57. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 20:57 ventry

Tangerine Jesus.....Drumpf.....DOTUS...etc

Yes your name calling is sooooo next level intelligent. LARF!

I have also noticed that a lot of Americans have been referring to the "Australian Gun Buy-back" scheme.
The thing those people don't know is that it was all the "Law Abiding" Australians that handed their guns in.
The criminals kept theirs.

56. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 20:48 RedEye9

Sepharo wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 19:59:

https://i.imgur.com/bg7QcM3.jpg
It's rude to post something when the person it's intended for does not have the mental capacity to understand it. https://youtu.be/DSdG99PkNKA?t=3

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

55. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 19:59 Sepharo

ventry wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 19:53:
All these "clever" people thought they had it all worked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_siUciZVs

Now those same people have been throwing a continuing 1.5 year long tantrum.
I love seeing smug, self-entitled assholes getting reality shoved right up their back passages.

p.s
The connection between video games and shootings is bogus.
I think Trump is trolling you.
6 Months from now the heat will have gone out of this and it will be business as it was with possibly minimal, meaningless changes.

https://i.imgur.com/bg7QcM3.jpg

54. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 19:53 ventry

All these "clever" people thought they had it all worked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_siUciZVs

Now those same people have been throwing a continuing 1.5 year long tantrum.
I love seeing smug, self-entitled assholes getting reality shoved right up their back passages.

p.s
The connection between video games and shootings is bogus.
I think Trump is trolling you.
6 Months from now the heat will have gone out of this and it will be business as it was with possibly minimal, meaningless changes.

53. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 17:33 RedEye9

Quboid wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 15:37:
It's good that they might be willing to listen, but it's ridiculous that they need this conversion. Even if they are as out of touch as they sound, they should be informed by their own people that this is a bad idea before anything is said publicly.
Sounds like you have not been following this administration or their foibles. [wink]/rhetorical

"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

52. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 15:37 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 14:42:
Prez wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 13:32:
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks having a summit at the White House with game developers is a FAR better solution than the President immediately holding a press conference calling on Congress to come up with anti-gaming legislatuon. It's no secret that politicians and old people generally have no understanding of the games industry. And Washington is chock full of both. This is an opportunity for the industry representatives to educate some very significant and powerful politicians. The worst that can happen is that the President and whoever else attends choose to not listen and remain willfully ignorant, in which case nothing is lost. On the other hand, the possibility exists that the old out-of-touch dinosaurs might actually learn something. Maybe they will even learn enough to avoid sounding like idiots when the subject of violence in games inevitably comes up again. Hey a guy can dream.

That's how I see it. More pessimistic than you, but not that they'll learn something, but that they'll just forget.

It's good that they might be willing to listen, but it's ridiculous that they need this conversion. Even if they are as out of touch as they sound, they should be informed by their own people that this is a bad idea before anything is said publicly.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

51. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 15:19 RedEye9

Luke wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 15:09:
Saboth wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 22:14:
Tell him to shove his meeting up where the sun don't shine. One day he's talking about taking guns from people without due process, the next he's trying to blame videogames, the next he's trying to start a trade war which will raise the cost of most goods in the USA by 10-30%+. The man needs to be removed from office before he destroys our economy. It's obvious he's suffering from dementia, along with a host of other disorders.

Now with Putin bragging that he has the best nuclear missiles, who knows what this elderly deranged buffoon will do.
If President Obama had even dreamed about "taking guns away without due process" while sleeping, He Would Have Been Lynched Before He Woke Up.
But Tangerine Jesus says it on tv so that make it spiritually A-OK.

Oblama was and still is the biggest chicken George ever of a president

Smooth talk to the masses and hip running up the stairs....god what a .....
Is there a Luke translator ya'll use or do we go by "best guess." ... ...

"Nullity's Law"

50. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 15:09 Luke

Tell him to shove his meeting up where the sun don't shine. One day he's talking about taking guns from people without due process, the next he's trying to blame videogames, the next he's trying to start a trade war which will raise the cost of most goods in the USA by 10-30%+. The man needs to be removed from office before he destroys our economy. It's obvious he's suffering from dementia, along with a host of other disorders.

Now with Putin bragging that he has the best nuclear missiles, who knows what this elderly deranged buffoon will do.
If President Obama had even dreamed about "taking guns away without due process" while sleeping, He Would Have Been Lynched Before He Woke Up.

Oblama was and still is the biggest chicken George ever of a president

Smooth talk to the masses and hip running up the stairs....god what a .....

49. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 14:57 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:53:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 23:57:
If your going games you need to go movies and tv and some music to. Tons of insensitive and hateful content. If that were ever to be reformed, wow talk about a different world in 25 years. Now you'll need votes from the people and congress and for years in succession to pull this stunt off. I don't think he has it in him.

Hey, hey. Games are "different." They are "interactive." Clicking a mouse button to shoot is the same as pulling the trigger on a gun. Them games are dangerous, doncha know.

I know you are saying that tongue and cheek, but just think of all the movies that offend countries with over the top insulting stereotypes? Let alone insensitive disasters in a movie that happen to actual people, I bet that opens a wound every time. But look at that cool shit!

48. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 14:54 HorrorScope

Zoom wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 07:25:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 23:57:
If your going games you need to go movies and tv and some music to. Tons of insensitive and hateful content. If that were ever to be reformed, wow talk about a different world in 25 years. Now you'll need votes from the people and congress and for years in succession to pull this stunt off. I don't think he has it in him.
Books. Dont forget books. These things are the devil for Trump and his supporters. They should have people bring their books and burn them in piles to show how they support the effort of their beloved president. Reading is a left-wing thing, it should be banned.
/s

Books to. Yep to make is so we have to make wholesome content that would be universally dubbed as thee and not offend anyone would be quite a task and I'm going with impossible. Even if he tried that in the US, by 2020 there would be someone in there reversing it all. Guy has ZERO foresight, he needs to look at that, what's the point if it would just be reversed in short order?

47. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 14:54 nomoreshite

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 10:08:
Another stunt by Trump, he certainly enjoys stirring the pot.

Earth to posters, if you think the democrats are any better, just read some of Shumer's or Pelosi's posts.

Both parties are screwed up beyond help and the 2020 election is going to be just as bad as the last one. You watch, the democrats will put up another left wing nut leaving us with little choice like the last election.

The only positive thing is just maybe we will see some significant move by third parties that are not extreme.

LOL, you think the democrats are left wing, HA HA HA, please stop with the stupid, my RIBS are sore

46. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 14:42 Beamer

Prez wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 13:32:
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks having a summit at the White House with game developers is a FAR better solution than the President immediately holding a press conference calling on Congress to come up with anti-gaming legislatuon. It's no secret that politicians and old people generally have no understanding of the games industry. And Washington is chock full of both. This is an opportunity for the industry representatives to educate some very significant and powerful politicians. The worst that can happen is that the President and whoever else attends choose to not listen and remain willfully ignorant, in which case nothing is lost. On the other hand, the possibility exists that the old out-of-touch dinosaurs might actually learn something. Maybe they will even learn enough to avoid sounding like idiots when the subject of violence in games inevitably comes up again. Hey a guy can dream.

That's how I see it. More pessimistic than you, but not that they'll learn something, but that they'll just forget.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 14:14 sliv

When you complain about an echo chamber on this issue, on this forum, it just looks like you're looking to pick a fight.

I don't have time to pick fights, too much work to do. So, yeah, you're right, shouldn't have said anything to begin with.

Been following Blues since 2003 and Voodoo Extreme/Gaming Groove for years before that so I'd say I have a soft-spot for the gaming community because I used to be in it. Unfortunately, when I see how a lot of forums here sounds like every other forum out there, it saddens me a bit and makes me less likely to look at discussions anymore.

I'm guessing when you hit your 40's you don't have time for this stuff except my kids are getting into it now so I still need to keep connected in some sort or fashion. Blues helps with that but I'll just need to ignore the forums. Lesson learned, moving on...

44. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 14:08 RedEye9

"Nullity's Law"

43. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 13:33 Orogogus

sliv wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 11:59:
I think it's perfectly fine to share opinions. Do you think the only reason to share your opinion is to change someone else's mind? Yes, futile but also a completely wasted opportunity to gain some perspective outside of what I know. I have my opinions that I've instilled by life experiences and from those I consider mentors. But to say you'll only have a real conversation with someone who only comes with facts, that's pretty close-minded as well.

This conversation won't show any facts, we're not robots so you can't possibly prove that video games cause violence.

I never said don't have the conversation, what I'm saying is don't state opinions as facts and belittle those that have differing opinions than yours. It creates an echo chamber which helps no one.

I don't think this board is terrible about the echo chamber for most topics. It can help to ignore a certain number of people at both ends of the spectrum who are more interested in lulz or scoring points than discussion.

But on the specific subject of video games being responsible for mass shootings... I think it's reasonable to expect that the overwhelming majority of people following a video game news page are going to come down on one side of that argument. Why would someone who thinks video games are causing shootings read the articles here? I wouldn't go into a Bible reading forum expecting a balanced back-and-forth on whether Christianity has been a positive or negative influence on Western politics. When you complain about an echo chamber on this issue, on this forum, it just looks like you're looking to pick a fight.

42. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 13:32 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 11:59 sliv

If you want to to have a real conversation bring some solid evidence to the table that people can present counter evidence too or pick apart the flaws in. Just making blanket statements and then shouting to the wind "prove me wrong" just invites equally empty retorts and does nothing to change anyone's mind.

I think it's perfectly fine to share opinions. Do you think the only reason to share your opinion is to change someone else's mind? Yes, futile but also a completely wasted opportunity to gain some perspective outside of what I know. I have my opinions that I've instilled by life experiences and from those I consider mentors. But to say you'll only have a real conversation with someone who only comes with facts, that's pretty close-minded as well.

This conversation won't show any facts, we're not robots so you can't possibly prove that video games cause violence.

I never said don't have the conversation, what I'm saying is don't state opinions as facts and belittle those that have differing opinions than yours. It creates an echo chamber which helps no one.

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo