Into the Breach Released

Into the Breach is now available, offering a turn-based strategy game for Windows from Subset Games, developer of FTL. This is available on GOG.com and Steam, and while neither offers a launch discount, buying the game from GOG.com for the next week comes with a free copy of FTL: Advanced Edition. The launch trailer offers a look at gameplay, and this description outlines what to expect:
The remnants of human civilization are threatened by gigantic creatures breeding beneath the earth. You must control powerful mechs from the future to hold off this alien threat. Each attempt to save the world presents a new randomly generated challenge in this turn-based strategy game from the makers of FTL.

Key Features:

• Defend the Cities: Civilian buildings power your mechs. Defend them from the Vek and watch your fire!
  • Perfect Your Strategy: All enemy attacks are telegraphed in minimalistic, turn-based combat. Analyze your opponent's attack and come up with the perfect counter every turn.
  • Build the Ultimate Mech: Find powerful new weapons and unique pilots as you battle the Vek infestation across Corporate-Nation islands.
  • Another Chance: Failure is not an option. When you are defeated, send help back through time to save another timeline!

View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Into the Breach Released
Mar 3, 2018, 12:05
Re: Into the Breach Released Mar 3, 2018, 12:05
Mar 3, 2018, 12:05

I finally got to play a bunch of Breach last night. So much fun. You can definitely see the FTL DNA in there, while it's also its own thing.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Mar 2, 2018, 22:55
Re: Into the Breach Released Mar 2, 2018, 22:55
Mar 2, 2018, 22:55

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 11:27:
That's why the Crystal B is so insane. 4 unit teleporter, plus 3 Crystal crew (their special ability means you can control how many people you fight and either kill them, or systems, much faster.)

Find a Zoltan bypass and a regenerative teleport and you go from basically untouchable to wholly untouchable.

Yeah, by the time I got the crystal ship, I was pretty burned out on the game, so I didn't play it much. I've got well over 200 hours in it.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Mar 2, 2018, 11:27
Re: Into the Breach Released Mar 2, 2018, 11:27
Mar 2, 2018, 11:27

That's why the Crystal B is so insane. 4 unit teleporter, plus 3 Crystal crew (their special ability means you can control how many people you fight and either kill them, or systems, much faster.)

Find a Zoltan bypass and a regenerative teleport and you go from basically untouchable to wholly untouchable.

Mar 2, 2018, 11:10
Re: Into the Breach Released Mar 2, 2018, 11:10
Mar 2, 2018, 11:10

Beamer wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 17:54:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 16:25:
Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 19:42:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 19:33:
Task wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 14:56:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 13:48:
Task wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 09:33:
Got it as well on Humble Bundle - been playing FTL recently too, 22 hrs logged over recent weeks and I died everytime as per usual :o. The perfect game to take with me on my Macbook Pro and this one runs fine on it too after quickly testing it last night.

Dying too much: what difficulty? Where are you dying: beginning, middle, end? I always go for Shields and engines first. Preventing damage is so much cheaper than fixing it. Never hesitate to get a burst laser 2. Combined with a beam weapon and judicious use of the pause button, it's a devastating pair.

I find that my laptop runs FTL fine, but that it sucks battery life, moreso than similar games like GSB. Hopefully ItB is better optimized.

I bring my plug for the laptop, but anyways I'm just bad at the game, bad luck, bad decisions. I generally know what I do wrong though. I've been watching VanguardOfValor to get better. One key thing I never did before was just stop to pause more often, pausing is definitely key.

Yeah, pausing and firing weapons in a specific order is a critical tactic.

The game is tweaked well, I've won many different ways using different ships with different tactics, I.E. destroying ships using fire, killing all the enemy crew by teleporting Mantis warriors, etc. THat being said, even on easy I can only win about 50% of the time. But the game is a ton of fun even if you fail.

I was making it to the Flagship at least 75% of the time on Easy, probably more like 90% of the time I made it out of the first sector. Winning probably 2/3 of that.

It wasn't until I decided to play each ship until I won that I genuinely got pretty good.

Crystal B is the best ship in the game. I'd say it's probably damn near broken. If you make it out of the first sector, you can win on any difficulty level. For ships you're more likely to have unlocked, Zoltan A is a beast. The Halberd Beam is an incredible weapon, and figuring that out really changed my win rate.

For starting out and learning, collecting laser weapons is the best strategy. On Easy, the final boss only has 3 shields. If you can bring 5-8 laser shots you're probably going to win. If you can add cloaking to that you will win. Not going to be the best tactic, but it's a quick one to learn.
The final boss only has 3 Shields on easy? I've always seen it with 4.

Cloaking does make it easier since you can use it to avoid those triple missile launches and drone swarms.

My favorite tactic is combining the hacking drone with the fire beam.

Crap, you're right. It was 3 before the Advanced content came out.

Fire weapons are fun, but soooo slow. Good when you just want to screw with things. I rarely hack shields, though, Prefer to hack the bridge. Having every shot hit is vicious, and you don't need to upgrade the hacking. But yeah, you need shield breakers, not beams.

Hacking weapons, combined with level 3 cloaking, can also make you invincible in most situations.

Fire beam is slow, but you capture the ship intact, so you get more scrap.

Mar 1, 2018, 17:54
Re: Into the Breach Released Mar 1, 2018, 17:54
Mar 1, 2018, 17:54

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 16:25:
Got it as well on Humble Bundle - been playing FTL recently too, 22 hrs logged over recent weeks and I died everytime as per usual :o. The perfect game to take with me on my Macbook Pro and this one runs fine on it too after quickly testing it last night.

Dying too much: what difficulty? Where are you dying: beginning, middle, end? I always go for Shields and engines first. Preventing damage is so much cheaper than fixing it. Never hesitate to get a burst laser 2. Combined with a beam weapon and judicious use of the pause button, it's a devastating pair.

I find that my laptop runs FTL fine, but that it sucks battery life, moreso than similar games like GSB. Hopefully ItB is better optimized.

I bring my plug for the laptop, but anyways I'm just bad at the game, bad luck, bad decisions. I generally know what I do wrong though. I've been watching VanguardOfValor to get better. One key thing I never did before was just stop to pause more often, pausing is definitely key.

The game is tweaked well, I've won many different ways using different ships with different tactics, I.E. destroying ships using fire, killing all the enemy crew by teleporting Mantis warriors, etc. THat being said, even on easy I can only win about 50% of the time. But the game is a ton of fun even if you fail.

I was making it to the Flagship at least 75% of the time on Easy, probably more like 90% of the time I made it out of the first sector. Winning probably 2/3 of that.

It wasn't until I decided to play each ship until I won that I genuinely got pretty good.

Crystal B is the best ship in the game. I'd say it's probably damn near broken. If you make it out of the first sector, you can win on any difficulty level. For ships you're more likely to have unlocked, Zoltan A is a beast. The Halberd Beam is an incredible weapon, and figuring that out really changed my win rate.

For starting out and learning, collecting laser weapons is the best strategy. On Easy, the final boss only has 3 shields. If you can bring 5-8 laser shots you're probably going to win. If you can add cloaking to that you will win. Not going to be the best tactic, but it's a quick one to learn.

Cloaking does make it easier since you can use it to avoid those triple missile launches and drone swarms.

Crap, you're right. It was 3 before the Advanced content came out.

Fire weapons are fun, but soooo slow. Good when you just want to screw with things. I rarely hack shields, though, Prefer to hack the bridge. Having every shot hit is vicious, and you don't need to upgrade the hacking. But yeah, you need shield breakers, not beams.

Hacking weapons, combined with level 3 cloaking, can also make you invincible in most situations.

Mar 1, 2018, 16:25
Re: Into the Breach Released Mar 1, 2018, 16:25
Mar 1, 2018, 16:25

Feb 28, 2018, 19:42
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 19:42
Feb 28, 2018, 19:42

Feb 28, 2018, 19:33
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 19:33
Feb 28, 2018, 19:33

Feb 28, 2018, 14:56
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 14:56
Feb 28, 2018, 14:56

Feb 28, 2018, 13:48
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 13:48
Feb 28, 2018, 13:48

Feb 28, 2018, 12:49
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 12:49
Feb 28, 2018, 12:49

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 12:12:
Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 11:37:
The game ultimately has only a handful of successful strategies, but it becomes how you choose between them. And luck. I've won on Hard with nearly every ship, which is funny, I probably did 200 hours only on Easy because I doubted I could even win on Normal.
I started on Easy for the same reason, made it to the final boss once before getting distracted by something else. I need to get back to the game...

I can talk for hours about the strategy. But yeah, it's more fun finding out on your own for the first while. Like I said, I was probably at least 200, if not 270, hours before I made a genuine attempt at Normal. I actually started by making a conscious attempt to beat Easy on every ship. A few of those ships suck, so I instead tried a few on Normal, only to find that if you could win Easy with some harder ships, Normal is pretty easy with easier ships. There's at least one ship for which even Hard is pretty easy. Due to the RNG you can never guarantee victory anywhere - if every store you go to has crap weapons you're going to die, but some ships are damn near sure things.

Feb 28, 2018, 12:12
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 12:12
Feb 28, 2018, 12:12

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 11:37:
The game ultimately has only a handful of successful strategies, but it becomes how you choose between them. And luck. I've won on Hard with nearly every ship, which is funny, I probably did 200 hours only on Easy because I doubted I could even win on Normal.
I started on Easy for the same reason, made it to the final boss once before getting distracted by something else. I need to get back to the game...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Feb 28, 2018, 11:37
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 11:37
Feb 28, 2018, 11:37

Have you made it to the final boss? That was a real achievement for me. Then it quickly wasn't, haha.

Feb 28, 2018, 09:33
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 09:33
Feb 28, 2018, 09:33

Feb 28, 2018, 04:13
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 04:13
Feb 28, 2018, 04:13

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2018, 21:50:
All that being said, would love a high-def game that pits real-world military units against kaiju (as opposed to Mechs or Jaegers). Something with the worldwide strategic element of XCom, but turn-based tactical battles that pit present-day soldiers, tanks, and aircraft against the kaiju. Would have a research mechanic to improve units as kaiju increase in category.

This triggered a memory and quick google gave me this XCOM like game in development. Though the Kaiju equivalent there is just a screenshot with "behemoth" mentioned on a strategy layer.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/25/phoenix-point-crowdfunding-interview/

Feb 28, 2018, 03:31
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 03:31
Feb 28, 2018, 03:31

Numinar wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 02:48:
Instabuy, sight unseen. FTL gave me hundreds of dollars in fun value. Hopefully these guys manage to pump out a few more games before my inevitable heart attack.

Yup, bought on GoG and downloading now. Also got (another) copy of FTL for free.

Feb 28, 2018, 02:48
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 02:48
Feb 28, 2018, 02:48

Instabuy, sight unseen. FTL gave me hundreds of dollars in fun value. Hopefully these guys manage to pump out a few more games before my inevitable heart attack.

Feb 27, 2018, 21:50
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 27, 2018, 21:50
Feb 27, 2018, 21:50

I'm stoked to play this:

1. From the guys that did FTL.

2. Love Pacific Rim

All that being said, would love a high-def game that pits real-world military units against kaiju (as opposed to Mechs or Jaegers). Something with the worldwide strategic element of XCom, but turn-based tactical battles that pit present-day soldiers, tanks, and aircraft against the kaiju. Would have a research mechanic to improve units as kaiju increase in category.

Hmm, now that my son is both coding and doing artwork, maybe I'll have to start building it myself...

Feb 27, 2018, 21:35
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 27, 2018, 21:35
Feb 27, 2018, 21:35

Bought it, haven't played it, already love it.
Definitely a fanboy of their (one) game.

Feb 27, 2018, 21:20
Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 27, 2018, 21:20
Feb 27, 2018, 21:20

From the makers of FTL, might check it out.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older