Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

etc.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2018, 10:43 VaranDragon

MeanJim wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 17:21:
When I was in high school, we used to play Doom in computer class, during hunting season it was no big deal to see student's trucks in the parking lot with guns in their gun racks, and you could even take hunter's education and gun safety classes at my school, where we actually shot guns for grades.

The gun might be the preferred tool for mass murdering psychopaths, but you have to wonder why there are so many more mass murdering psychopaths today than back then.

Why stop there? Why not go even further back in history, say, some 120 years or so?

The entire western territories were swarming with people with guns. It was called the "Wild" west for a reason. And it wasn't because of the wilderness...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2018, 10:21 Quboid

MeanJim wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 00:52:
In fact all violent crime has seen a downward trend over the past 20 years.
That's something you never see on the news, because scaring people gets better ratings/more viewers.

There's also less to report. Studies into trends in violent crime can't dominate a news cycle, even in less sensationalist media. Bad things often happen suddenly, good things are more likely to happen gradually.

13. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2018, 00:52 MeanJim

When you were in high school was the AR-15 a common weapon?
The "AR-15" has been available to the public since the 60's.

In fact all violent crime has seen a downward trend over the past 20 years.
That's something you never see on the news, because scaring people gets better ratings/more viewers.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 21:57 Ahumado

Violent video games, violent movies and violent music all lead to violence. Their research is trash  

11. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 20:21 jdreyer

When I was in high school, we used to play Doom in computer class, during hunting season it was no big deal to see student's trucks in the parking lot with guns in their gun racks, and you could even take hunter's education and gun safety classes at my school, where we actually shot guns for grades.

The gun might be the preferred tool for mass murdering psychopaths, but you have to wonder why there are so many more mass murdering psychopaths today than back then.

Gun homicides are actually about the same today as they were in the 1970s. That actually means the rate is lower today than it was back then. There was a huge spike in the late 80s early 90s due to the crack epidemic, but that came down (coincidentally with the rise in popularity of video games). In fact all violent crime has seen a downward trend over the past 20 years.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

10. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 18:29 DangerDog

However, arguments over whether or not games lead to violence do lead to violence.

Fight

9. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 17:59 Mr. Tact

Brad L wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 15:00:
One would have to be grossly naive to think that violent video games and movies don't influence people. That being said I don't support any kind of ban.
That would depend on what you meant by "influence". I've watched a lot of violent video games and movies, recently I watch "Altered Carbon", which was plenty violent. Has it "influenced" me? Other than desensitizing me when watching people get killed in media, I doubt it. But then I'll admit to having a smart parent who taught me at a very young age that such things are not real.

Has said media ever been the root cause of someone committing an act of violence. Not that I've ever heard. A contributing factor? Yeah, that has probably happened.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 17:41 RedEye9

When you were in high school was the AR-15 a common weapon?
Were most families single parent households?
Did most fathers make enough money so mom could stay home and raise the chillrens?
Was it before congress cut funding for mental health and emptied the asylums?

So much has changed since we were kids it boggles the mind.
I know one thing for sure, you can't have a mass shooting if you don't have a gun.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

7. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 17:21 MeanJim

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 16:19 jdreyer

robdot wrote on Feb 24, 2018, 15:41:
Maybe one of the root causes of death by gun,Is the fucking gun. ,you know,just maybe.

Just... just stop with the logic and common sense. You're undermining my argument that mental illness is completely responsible.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

5. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 15:43 robdot

If violent music made people violent,then do love songs make people love? Do you know how many love songs have been written over the last thousand years? Why is there still so much hate?

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2018, 17:29.

4. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 15:41 robdot

Maybe one of the root causes of death by gun,Is the fucking gun. ,you know,just maybe.  

3. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 15:00 Brad L

One would have to be grossly naive to think that violent video games and movies don't influence people. That being said I don't support any kind of ban.  

2. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 14:45 Zoom

What's even sadder is they have to dedicate research funds and time to state what's obvious to everyone else...  

1. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 13:12 RedEye9

It's a shame that study will never be understood by the dotus because it would require basic literacy.

I want to shut the noise out and reconnect to my inner thoughts on the road to feeling more at one with myself. Fleabag

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo