Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 20, 2018, 14:00 Beamer

Leper wrote on Feb 20, 2018, 12:39:
I stumbled upon "Movie Nation" because I was curious to find out if ANYONE was willing to give Black Panther a bad review. I haven't seen it yet, but I have read a number of positive reviews for Panther and they all irritated me in exactly the same way--they seem to be reviewing what the film represents, what it stands for, more than they are reviewing it as a, you know, movie.

Nobody (except maybe some racists) wanted to see Black Panther flop. If that meant critics needed to be more forgiving with their reviews, then that's probably what they did. To be fair most critics are just saying they recommend the movie, not that it's the best movie of the year or anything. Personally, it looks a lot like every other MCU movie to me, which means I'll wait for the home viewing experience.

I've also been reading some articles that are championing Get Out for Best Picture. I watched that over the weekend and, although I thought it was entertaining and fairly unique, it didn't exactly scream Best Picture of the entire year. Just because a movie has cultural impact, doesn't mean it is the best movie overall due to writing, acting, directing, music, etc.

Get Out was fun till the end, when, like nearly every horror movie, it became nearly every horror movie.

But audiences reacted to it in a certain way because of what it represented. That doesn't make it best picture, but makes it a pretty noteworthy one.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 20, 2018, 12:39 Leper

I stumbled upon "Movie Nation" because I was curious to find out if ANYONE was willing to give Black Panther a bad review. I haven't seen it yet, but I have read a number of positive reviews for Panther and they all irritated me in exactly the same way--they seem to be reviewing what the film represents, what it stands for, more than they are reviewing it as a, you know, movie.

Nobody (except maybe some racists) wanted to see Black Panther flop. If that meant critics needed to be more forgiving with their reviews, then that's probably what they did. To be fair most critics are just saying they recommend the movie, not that it's the best movie of the year or anything. Personally, it looks a lot like every other MCU movie to me, which means I'll wait for the home viewing experience.

I've also been reading some articles that are championing Get Out for Best Picture. I watched that over the weekend and, although I thought it was entertaining and fairly unique, it didn't exactly scream Best Picture of the entire year. Just because a movie has cultural impact, doesn't mean it is the best movie overall due to writing, acting, directing, music, etc.

12. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 20, 2018, 08:36 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 18:13:
SMITE wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 18:03:
Pigeon wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 11:56:
Whitta’s impressive (and numerous) credits include standouts like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story... “Know what you’re trying to communicate thematically,” he says, “create characters we can care about,

Well I guess giving good advice and being able to follow your own advice are two different things .

You're criticizing Rogue One's writing?

I found it to be much, much better than the negative reviews it received would indicate.

Which was oddly the reverse of the critical adulation Last Jedi received--one of the worst big budget films I've ever seen.
If you disliked Last Jedi you might like this reviewer.
“Last Jedi” is just another middling movie with a rabid fanbase, a Harry Potter-style placeholder picture for lump-in-the-throat moments to come. Or so we hope."
https://rogersmovienation.com/2017/12/12/movie-review-star-wars-the-last-jedi/
Oh and he slams Black Panther, that's akin to handling newborns with pitchforks.

I think they both suffer from different problems. Last Jedi had likeable characters and okay dialogue, but the plot was a fucking train wreck. Rogue One had a pretty solid plot, but completely forgettable characters, and the main protagonist (excuse me I have to go google her name)Jyn Erso was the most boring of the lot. Honestly Rogue One felt more like Star Wars than any film since RotJ, it just lacked anyone to give a fuck about. I suppose that's why the ending wasn't upsetting in the least.

11. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 23:03 SMITE

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 18:13:
Whitta’s impressive (and numerous) credits include standouts like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story... “Know what you’re trying to communicate thematically,” he says, “create characters we can care about,

Well I guess giving good advice and being able to follow your own advice are two different things .

I found it to be much, much better than the negative reviews it received would indicate.

Which was oddly the reverse of the critical adulation Last Jedi received--one of the worst big budget films I've ever seen.
“Last Jedi” is just another middling movie with a rabid fanbase, a Harry Potter-style placeholder picture for lump-in-the-throat moments to come. Or so we hope."
Oh and he slams Black Panther, that's akin to handling newborns with pitchforks.

It's funny that you would recommend this reviewer and these two reviews to me, RedEye9, because I literally just read them both yesterday, though I did the reverse of what you're suggesting--i.e. I read his Black Panther review which made me immediately wonder what he had to say about Last Jedi, so I found that and read it too.

I'm fine with more black representation in movies. That's a worthy goal. But achieving some sort of milestone in black representation in your movie and making a good movie are not automatically one and the same--and most of the reviews I've read seem to assume that one equals the other. Which is just ... ridiculous.

Whenever a reviewer spends more time talking about the cultural and/or political background or impact of a movie than they do the movie itself ... I know I'm reading a worthless review. Don't get me wrong: those things are important--but they are nowhere near as important as the quality of the movie itself.

The movie has to stand on its own, outside whatever political or cultural relevance it has.

So yeah ... I'm going to be seeking out this particular reviewer more in the future ... even if I do think he went a little too easy on Last Jedi.

10. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 18:13 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

9. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 18:03 SMITE

8. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 18:00 jdreyer

On the one hand, the characters were all pretty unlikeable (excepting K2SO), although part of that had to do with the terrible casting and some direction decisions. On the other hand, no one could have predicted that (spoilers) everyone was going to die in the end. So I thought that was different.

Also, I thought Story of Eli was pretty good.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 17:15 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 14:19:
Garry Whitta... back when you could beat someone to death with the Xmas edition of PCGamer..

*hefts his brand new, still in the plastic wrap, copy of the December 1996 edition of Computer Gaming World onto the table with a loud THUD!*

Someone would like a word with you.

Given the outcry about my previous 'nostalgic' posts, I'll refrain from comment. It's your loss. Blame peer pressure.

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 14:46 HoSpanky

chickenboo wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 13:28:
debating whether or not the Jack In The box Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger was truly the best cheeseburger.

It's not. JitB finally expanded to my city, and in under a year they closed up their restaurants. Turns out it's not particularly good. I went twice, neither time was impressive.

5. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 14:19 The Half Elf

Garry Whitta... back when you could beat someone to death with the Xmas edition of PCGamer..  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

4. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 13:28 chickenboo

Fond memories of Whitta at the helm of PCGamer. I remember the issues which had editorials about the staff buying a bucket of popcorn chicken, and debating whether or not the Jack In The box Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger was truly the best cheeseburger. I still have yet to eat one of those (JITB doesn't exist in Canada) but some day I will.

These days I'd argue we are truly in the golden age of PC Gaming but there's really something special about gaming through the 90s. So many leaps forward, new game genres, new possibilities. These days it's all kind of old hat. Whitta was lucky to be a big part of all that. I can't recall if he was Editor In Chief during their Gaming Gods feature, and I wonder if something like that has been done since - gathering all the best of today's gaming devs together in one office for a group photo?

3. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 11:56 Pigeon

2. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 11:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 11:27:
Saying "Don't be predictable" is completely predictable.

Your sarcastic comment about being predictable was completely predictable! *Cue Endless Loop*

1. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 19, 2018, 11:27 Cutter

Saying "Don't be predictable" is completely predictable.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >