Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Saturday Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2018, 08:08 Mr. Tact

You make a good point Flatline. Live by the sword, die by the sword. A scorched ground campaign which, not surprisingly, will leave nothing but scorched ground and online ordering...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2018, 02:39 Flatline

Bub wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 06:35:
So sad, when stores that were once great, become complacent, and re-arranged deck chairs while Amazon gobbels their lunch.

It's kind of funny I remember back when they were growing and putting small bookstores out of business they were the big 500 pound gorilla bad guys. They had an *extremely* aggressive process where they'd come into a shopping mall and negotiate to be the primary provider of certain things like coffee, forcing the small coffee shops nearby out of business if they were under the same landlord. It's how my first job went away.

I... really don't have much of a bad feeling about them getting their lunch eaten, beyond a general point of not being happy about there being *less* competition with Amazon now. B&N came up as the Amazon of their day, they're going down the way they came up.

8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2018, 16:53 jdreyer

Bub wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 06:35:
So sad, when stores that were once great, become complacent, and re-arranged deck chairs while Amazon gobbels their lunch.

They haven't been complacent, IMO. They rebuilt the B&N near me with a Starbucks, reading area, etc. It's a gorgeous space. They've also been running their .com site for well over a decade, with good integration with their brick and mortar stores. Not sure what they could have done differently, except more closely copy Amazon.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2018, 12:10 Bill Borre

I wonder if they'll still remain as an online presence?  

6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2018, 10:20 eRe4s3r

Book stores still exist?  

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2018, 09:54 Mr. Tact

It is too bad but not a bit surprising. I was at our local B&N last week. I'm only in there a couple of times a month, but I'll miss it when it goes, as it surely will within the next year or two...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2018, 06:35 Bub

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2018, 00:03 Redmask

Nucas wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 15:44:
wow, that's no joke. they fired all their full time employees.

keep your eyes on the ball, boys! profits this quarter are the only thing that matters!!

Look at their balance sheet. They don't have money to pay full time employees. They're done, this is the final twitch before death.

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 17, 2018, 17:41 Cutter

Well, I guess Reverend Steve in that story learned a valuable lesson about corporate loyalty.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 17, 2018, 15:44 Nucas

wow, that's no joke. they fired all their full time employees.

keep your eyes on the ball, boys! profits this quarter are the only thing that matters!!

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo