Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale

Valve announces a Steam Lunar New Year Sale is now underway, offering discounts on thousands of games to celebrate the year of the dog. They also announce changes to how Steam Wishlists operate they've rolled out today. They describe the following as the key pieces they've added so far:

• Steam has long shown the discount and price for items on your Wishlist, but there hasn’t been a way of sorting or filtering based on discounts. This can be frustrating when trying to find items during a large Steam sale or to finding purchases at particular prices. Now you can filter items shown on your Wishlist by levels of discount like 50% off or 75% off. You can also filter by various tiers of price, or filter to only see items you can buy with your current Steam Wallet balance.
  • We’ve also heard a lot of requests for the ability to filter your Wishlist by tags or genres to help find games when you’re in the mood for a strategy game or an RPG. So now Steam displays the top-ranked tags for each item on your Wishlist. Clicking any of those tags will filter your Wishlist to just other titles with that same tag applied. This makes it easy to find the best co-op games on your Wishlist, or quickly find a discounted horror game.
  • Many players have reported that they find a promising game currently in Early Access that they want to keep track of, but aren’t interested in buying until the game has transitioned to full release. Now your Wishlist will reflect if a game is currently in Early Access, and we’ve added a filter option to hide those games until they have transitioned from Early Access to full release.
  • Players frequently add unreleased games to their Wishlist, which is a helpful way to express interest in an upcoming release and be notified when the game releases. But between now and that title’s release, it isn’t always helpful to see those unreleased selections when you’re shopping for something to play now. So we added the release date to each Wishlist item along with a filter option to hide unreleased games until they become available.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 17, 2018, 05:48 eRe4s3r

Kxmode wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 23:41:
Whoever is the lead dev on the Wishlist project is risking a lot by using CSS Grid! The recommendation for CSS Grid is in Draft mode with the latest published on February 6, 2018. The NUMBER ONE rule of web development is never use anything in draft status with the W3C! That's like developing a game with an early alpha game engine. CSS Grid is also competing against another serious W3C candidate called FlexBox. The support for FlexBox is slightly greater. The latest version of Twitter's Bootstrap responsive framework uses Flexbox as an alternate layout solution, not the primary. If W3C decides to go with FlexBox, browser developers will shift support away from CSS Grid.

Considering 1 person is responsible for this redesign, and likely only because it just so happened to be on their way to the payroll delivery.... well.... this does not surprise me the slightest.

That said, they are using their own shitty chromium variation already, no doubt they will hack together something if CSS Grid is dropped in favor of Flexbox

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 23:41 Kxmode

Whoever is the lead dev on the Wishlist project is risking a lot by using CSS Grid! The recommendation for CSS Grid is in Draft mode with the latest published on February 6, 2018. The NUMBER ONE rule of web development is never use anything in draft status with the W3C! That's like developing a game with an early alpha game engine. CSS Grid is also competing against another serious W3C candidate called FlexBox. The support for FlexBox is slightly greater. The latest version of Twitter's Bootstrap responsive framework uses Flexbox as an alternate layout solution, not the primary. If W3C decides to go with FlexBox, browser developers will shift support away from CSS Grid.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 15:14 Kxmode

Saboth wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 22:20:
I don't care for the new wishlist. I can only see like 4 games per screen.

I had discontinued my Tampermonkey script. However, having used the new wishlist I prefer the previous by far. I am giving serious thought to updating the script to let people filter out stuff to see more games AND restore the presentation. It won't be perfect, but at least it's an option.

The sale sorting is my biggest gripe. If the product page has many offerings, and any of those are on sale the product will appear in the On Sale filter; even if the main product is not on sale. I REALLY don't like that.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

13. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 09:19 Vio

I really hate fat finger shit design for tablets.  

12. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 08:49 Dev

Only took about 10 years for someone to wheel their desk to the wishlist corner and improve it. Now it's actually useful... in some ways with the filters and sorting.

WARNING! Be careful doing what I did! Don't sort to review score and go remove all the bottom reviewed titles! Review score does NOT reflect the game's score as a whole. I think it's only recent scores. On obscure indie games this gives the impression some have never been reviewed, if you visit the steam page, they actually have been reviewed, just nothing recently.

11. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 07:33 Bub

The new wish list functionality is a plus, but the layout is about 5 steps back to the 90s when most corporate web sites were laid out like glossy brochures or newspaper adds with overly large graphics.

The most glaring web design issue I have with Steam is the home page is so loaded down with script and slide show graphics, it takes forever to load, and the menu often gets stuck obscuring half the page.

I just wish they would get away from design by committee there and hire someone to oversee it that has a proven track record with well designed sites. To me the site is so bloated and slow, I only visit it when absolutely necessary, I use Is There any Deal consolodated wishlist. The layout is 10 times faster to scan and quickly see what I consider the best current sale items, however I am not a fan of the angry fruit salad color scheme.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2018, 08:04.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

10. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 03:32 eRe4s3r

Kajetan wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 01:31:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 23:33:
Also my god are the sales bad this time
Sales are never bad. If sales seem bad, than its you, not the sales. Its you already having most of the games you want

True

9. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 01:31 Kajetan

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 23:33:
Sales are never bad. If sales seem bad, than its you, not the sales. Its you already having most of the games you want

8. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 01:02 HorrorScope

The Wishlist I hated for 30 seconds but it blows the old away. Why the filters.

Set at Sort By Review Score, Show Games Filer 50% or 75% or greater and boom. Now I'm seeing the best deals ranked by best ratings. You couldn't do that before, this is exactly what I wanted to see.

I can also Sort by price, which is all I had before if I want to look that way. But the above filter is TITS! Really happy with that.

Hmmm... Can I sort their whole catalog that way? 75% by rating?

7. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 01:01 ItBurn

I like the extra information, but like most people, I hate the fact that the game boxes are huge. You have to scroll infinitely to get through the wishlist. Displaying only a handful of items from a list on screen at once is a cancer in the UI world.  

6. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 16, 2018, 00:58 jacobvandy

I wouldn't mind some view options, like a more compact listing or even a grid kind of like how they do on the endlessly scrolling Store frontpage. I'm sure they're always looking for feedback on this stuff, as they plainly state that's where a lot of the changes they implemented today came from.  

5. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 15, 2018, 23:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 23:18:
Huh, zero benefit? The sorting and filters alone make it tons more useful if you have any more than a handful of titles on there. If you use the wish list to keep track of dozens or even hundreds of games you have even just a passing interest in, a sale happens and in a couple clicks you pare that down to only ones with at least a 75% discount. That's really fucking useful, if you ask me.

Valid reply, valid points. I would like this new list more if they made the game 'bar' even smaller than the old list, and just added the filtering options. I try to not have more than 40 things in the list at any time, and I usually just cull stuff I am only marginally interested in, or move stuff to the Gog Wishlist when it becomes available on GoG. I should probably just empty the Wishlist on Steam, I have more than enough games to play as it is.

4. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 15, 2018, 23:33 eRe4s3r

Sorting is nice, but the redesign is not.

3. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 15, 2018, 23:18 jacobvandy

Huh, zero benefit? The sorting and filters alone make it tons more useful if you have any more than a handful of titles on there. If you use the wish list to keep track of dozens or even hundreds of games you have even just a passing interest in, a sale happens and in a couple clicks you pare that down to only ones with at least a 75% discount. That's really fucking useful, if you ask me.  

2. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 15, 2018, 23:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, that new Wishlist is definitely a downgrade, more wasted space for zero benefit.

1. Re: Steam Wishlist Changes and Lunar New Year Sale Feb 15, 2018, 22:20 Saboth

I don't care for the new wishlist. I can only see like 4 games per screen. To boot, when I sort on price, games without a price are up top, before the cheapest games. And for some reason a 19.95 game shows up before a $1 game.

They made the image bigger, then made the discount font huge, in order to trick you into thinking it's magnificent or something. But those two items being made bigger means there's a lot of wasted grey space.

Don't see where it's an improvement, and just means you have to scroll 3x as much to see things.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo