Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 16:51 Creston

Saboth wrote on Feb 14, 2018, 09:25:
I honestly wouldn't mind if a site uses my PC to mine while I'm there. However, the main reason I use ad blockers is advertisers and companies have been negligent by allowing malware on their sites. So if I allow these cryptominers to access my computer, how can I be guaranteed there won't be malware in there too?

Seeing as how the cryptominer is in itself malware, there is no such guarantee.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 09:39 egg_mcmuffin

good luck with that when I turn scripting off.  

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 09:25 Saboth

I honestly wouldn't mind if a site uses my PC to mine while I'm there. However, the main reason I use ad blockers is advertisers and companies have been negligent by allowing malware on their sites. So if I allow these cryptominers to access my computer, how can I be guaranteed there won't be malware in there too?  

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 08:44 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 21:06:
I'll take door number 3, Bob, and just ignore Salon entirely. Seriously, how fucking dumb are these companies. If they want people to whitelist than do the right things. Static ads. No takeovers, popups, autoloading video, yada yada yada. It's not rocket science. Had they done all this shit to begin with adblockers wouldn't even exist.

Takeovers are the main thing advertisers want, popups have been dead for over a decade (seriously, when did you last see a popup on a major site), autoloading videos are annoying as shit but are rarely ads and usually content so they don't get adblocked, yada yada yada. These days, people don't pay to serve static ads with no script behind it, because they want to target ads, and they want to track the performance of ads. Do you know how you sell ads today? Promise someone they'll be delivered to 5,000,000 18-34 year olds who are in-market, have a HHI of >$50,000, prefer XYZ brand, are interested in interstellar rollerskating, and be able to back all of this up by showing how many saw the ad, how many clicked the ad, if they converted to a lead/sale/whatever, where in the funnel they saw the ad, where in the funnel they left, and what other ads they saw.

It doesn't matter how popular your site is, if you can't offer that people will not give you money because they can't say what value they're getting for the money. They'll go somewhere they can.

What you say makes sense for someone in 2006, but less so today (no surprise, Cutter is loudly discussing things he isn't knowledgeable about.) For the most part, I have ad blockers on each browser at home, and use each. I do not have ad blockers at work. I see extremely little difference. The sites you need adblockers on these days are the ones that you wouldn't go to at work, maybe shouldn't, anyway.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 07:29 Nimh

The venereal disease that is crypto mining just keeps giving.. You'd a thought digital tulips would have gone away by now, but no, now it's a seasonal bubble machine that's replacing internet ads. Thumbs up Satochi Dumbfuck.

(Seriously.. a scheme that maxes out CPU/GPU for distributed computing?? Thank goodness torrent and other distributed clients were not this retarded)

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 03:29 Luke

Salon .........hahaha  

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 01:47 Tom

Why pick from user-hostile options when you can just go to another web site? Salon, you're hardly the only game in town.  

2. Re: etc. Feb 13, 2018, 23:31 deqer

"use your unused computing power."

Uhh, no. By me not using my unused computing power is in actuality me using it. Thx, but no thx?

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 13, 2018, 21:06 Cutter

I'll take door number 3, Bob, and just ignore Salon entirely. Seriously, how fucking dumb are these companies. If they want people to whitelist than do the right things. Static ads. No takeovers, popups, autoloading video, yada yada yada. It's not rocket science. Had they done all this shit to begin with adblockers wouldn't even exist.

"If you promote conformity, don't be surprised if that's what you get." - Ken Robinson

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo