Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

New Paradox CEO

The Paradox Interactive Forums have a farewell post from Fredrik Wester, who announces he is leaving his role as CEO of Paradox Interactive, and will now serve as Executive Chairman of the Board. He introduces Ebba Ljungerud as the company's new CEO, saying they believe the changes are what serves Paradox best. Here's a bit of his explanation:

So this August Ill be stepping out of the role of CEO at Paradox Interactive and will be taking up a post as Executive Chairman of the Board. Were making this change as we believe it is what suits Paradox best. This will be my full-time job; I will continue to work out of the office and hopefully have more time to interact with with all my colleagues and with you. This change will put me in a position where I can focus on the things I love, helping Paradox grow and expand, while handing over responsibility for ongoing operations to a person better suited for the job.

Im also really happy to announce that weve already selected the person who will step in as CEO of Paradox Interactive, starting in August. It is my pleasure to introduce you to Ebba Ljungerud. Ebba has a long history with Paradox: shes been on our board for four years now, and she and I have worked closely together in that time on many different projects and topics. Shes also been the CCO at Kindred Group for the last few years, so her ability to manage a growth company the size of Paradox is a safe bet. Yes, pun intended.

Apart from myself, Ebba will be supported by veterans like Johan Andersson, Mattias Lilja, Thomas Johansson, Henrik Fhraeus, Shams Jorjani and Susana Meza Graham, all of whom have been with Paradox for several years, some even longer than me, and are familiar faces in our community already.

Its important to note that this does not change what we do at Paradox. We remain focused on creating the kind of games we do best and are known for. This is about making sure we have the organisation in place to handle the growth were currently experiencing, and making sure our trajectory continues upwards.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 14, 2018, 21:19 Red886

Peter M. Smith wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 12:14:
Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 11:19:
So they can focus on yet more DLC. Pretty soon that's all they'll make. Can't stand this company.

Costs money to continue to develop released games. Crusader Kings II was released in February of 2012. The most recent patch came out December of 2017. Almost six years of post-release patching. Where do you think the funds come from to pay for the development?

Or you can sit and listen to their livestreams for the upcoming Stellaris DLC. People are asking which feature being shown is going to be part of the DLC or part of the patch. It's roughly a 50/50 split, with new content leaning DLC and QoL improvements leaning patch.

we want a proper sequel to Crusader Kings & EU.
money ? Paradox is not short on money. It is publicly listed and their revenue is close to USD100m per year

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 14, 2018, 21:15 Red886

Warskull wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 23:14:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 12:33:
Errr... they are worse than EA wrt DLC. They intentionally release barebone versions of their games with cut content so they can then slowly feature-complete the games one DLC at a time and milk gamers until the udders bleed.

I don't think DLC release 1, 2, or even 3 years after a game's initial release is "cut content."

You also fail to mention that the company offers free major patches to the game with every DLC release and that some of the content is free.

You seem like one of those people that just hates all DLC.

we want a proper sequel after 2 years, rather than buying DLCs which in total cost more than a proper sequel. Major systems cannot be innovated in a DLC.

22. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 14, 2018, 21:13 Red886

Paradox = DLC crap.

being listed, DLCs fits nicely into being about minimum investment, minimum risk and maximum returns

21. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 14, 2018, 09:12 Peter M. Smith

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 22:24:
Based on the feedback they received on /r/Stellaris and the Paradox forums. One of the major gripes was lack of strategy on the galactic map and the inability to create and hold chokepoints. Wiz addressed this in a tweet a bit ago, IIRC.

Understood, thanks.

20. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 23:14 Warskull

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 12:33:
Errr... they are worse than EA wrt DLC. They intentionally release barebone versions of their games with cut content so they can then slowly feature-complete the games one DLC at a time and milk gamers until the udders bleed.

I don't think DLC release 1, 2, or even 3 years after a game's initial release is "cut content."

You also fail to mention that the company offers free major patches to the game with every DLC release and that some of the content is free.

You seem like one of those people that just hates all DLC.

19. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 22:24 Burrito of Peace

Peter M. Smith wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 17:21:
I'm not sure this is entirely true. From what I recall, early dev diaries for the patch and DLC talked about two soon-to-disappear (unless you use Steam's beta feature) FTL systems were getting tossed because it would allow the rest of the game's development to progress meaningfully.

Based on the feedback they received on /r/Stellaris and the Paradox forums. One of the major gripes was lack of strategy on the galactic map and the inability to create and hold chokepoints. Wiz addressed this in a tweet a bit ago, IIRC.

18. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 18:32 MisterBenn

It's the only Paradox game I have experience of, but Stellaris hasn't offended me with how it's been sold. The DLC is genuinely optional, and if you didn't know it existed, the base game with its 2 years of support and new features represents a perfectly reasonable proposition. The genre is notorious for being complicated to develop because there are so many interlinked features, and it's harder to reuse content from other titles than making a lot of other games. Distant Worlds had multiple expansions, at least the past 3 Civ games did, and so on.

I don't find their marketing to be deceptive either. For the base game and DLCs they live stream the game being played before it's on sale so you can see the truth of what you're getting. They release it for sale and you can buy in or walk away, I don't consider that underhand. They don't (currently) have gambling systems in their games that I know of, and they haven't stooped to packing nasty surprises in their games that you only discover when you buy it. There's a whole tier of shitty tactics that some studios use that these guys haven't resorted to at all.

As for the new guy, time will tell. From what I've seen following the Stellaris streams, Paradox have built an incredibly loyal fanbase with its own subculture (albeit with a few people exhibiting blind faith and some elitism from what I've seen.) If they are planning to step up the tactics into a more predatory area I think it's a real mistake. That goodwill takes a long time to build up and a short time to throw away if you piss everyone off.

17. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 17:53 Osc8r

Just make Age of Wonders 4 already.  

16. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 17:21 Peter M. Smith

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 16:51:
The new Cherryh update that completely revamps the galaxy map and how traversing that map works? We, the players, largely asked for it.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. From what I recall, early dev diaries for the patch and DLC talked about two soon-to-disappear (unless you use Steam's beta feature) FTL systems were getting tossed because it would allow the rest of the game's development to progress meaningfully. More of a strategic decision than a user request.

15. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 17:18 Peter M. Smith

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 15:49:
See, I don't get that sentiment AT ALL. What exactly is "awesome" about a piecemeal delivery? What is awesome about getting game mechanics delivered YEARS later that should have been (and were most likely planned to be) in the game from the start?

It's great that the systems work from the moment they're released. Years of post-launch support means the game gets gradual updates that get designed, developed, coded, and tested with ample time to devote to each stage.

And it's really tough to say that what's getting added to the game was planned from the start, when the next patch is going to rip out two of the three forms of FTL that were there at launch.

14. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 16:51 Burrito of Peace

See, I don't get that sentiment AT ALL. What exactly is "awesome" about a piecemeal delivery? What is awesome about getting game mechanics delivered YEARS later that should have been (and were most likely planned to be) in the game from the start?

Because they weren't and, instead, are the direct result of player feedback. The new Cherryh update that completely revamps the galaxy map and how traversing that map works? We, the players, largely asked for it. Unless you forced the game to only allow hyperlanes, for example, any race with warp or jump drives was going to bludgeon you to death. If you were a wormhole race, you might as well be just playing the single system challenge.

This may come as a complete and total shock to you, but what works in playtesting in a small group doesn't necessarily work for your audience on release. MMOs, for example, go through major mechanics, powers, and even race changes several times through their lifespans. Whether those are improvements or not is entirely subjective.

I don't get it... they have successfully brainwashed people into thinking they are getting a service (GaaS) with these essential DLCs while in reality the consumer sheeple are getting fleeced, milked and shat on.

You're right, you don't get it. There are no "essential" DLCs in Stellaris. Zero. You are not required in any way to purchase any DLC to get the QoL patches. Those are 100% free. They always have been and, according to both Wiz and Paradox, they always will be. In point of fact, you can synthesize nearly the same experience of DLCs with mods to very near parity. So essentially what you are doing is setting up a strawman argument so you can knock it down and rail about something you have generously demonstrated that you know absolutely nothing about.

13. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 16:47 Leper

Paradox games are pretty niche and everyone knows you pay more for niche. That's not just games - it's any type of tech or hobby. I enjoy Stellaris so I'm willing to shell out $20 every few months just to keep the updates coming (even if I'm not crazy about the content). It works for me and works for them.

And I can guarantee that if most people didn't get sick of other games so quickly then you'd see a steady stream of DLC for them also. Look at Total War: Warhammer for example. But most mainstream gamers just move from one game to the next and probably end up spending more that way. Paradox gamers seem to be more in it for the long-haul.

12. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 16:04 BIGtrouble77

I bought CK2 on launch day for $39. That did not feel like a full game at launch, but subsequent free patches over time has given me far more content than I ever expected. I have all of the expansions now, but the game is still enjoyable without them. If you don't like the game then you will obviously not like this DLC policy. I love the game... at this point I'd rather see more expansions than a CK3.

11. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 15:49 CJ_Parker

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 15:01:
The fact that all of the game mechanics changes are included in free QoL patches is awesome.

I don't get it... they have successfully brainwashed people into thinking they are getting a service (GaaS) with these essential DLCs while in reality the consumer sheeple are getting fleeced, milked and shat on.

To me they are shittier than EA, Ubi and Actiblizz combined. GaaS delivered in piecemeal fashion with fraudulent tactics. They have taken the worst shit of all that EA et al are doing and mixed up their own super-shit cocktail from the collective diarrhea.
The only piece that is missing, the proverbial cherry on top of the shit cocktail, would in fact be the introduction of loot boxes. Any day now...

10. Re: etc. Feb 13, 2018, 15:19 deqer

"saying they believe the changes are what serves Paradox best."

No shit sherlock? ... why would the changes serve Paradox worst?

We're not 2yr olds.

*triggered*

9. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 15:01 Burrito of Peace

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 13:54:
Those of us that actually play Paradox games (not Cutter) know this to be true... I'd much rather pay for a few CK2 DLC throughout the year rather than pay for a new version every year like the Madden/NHL franchises do.

I'm a huge Stellaris fan and I am absolutely OK with their DLC policy regarding the game. I'd much rather support them continuing to develop for and support a game that I have more than 1500 hours in. The fact that all of the game mechanics changes are included in free QoL patches is awesome.

8. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 14:50 Cutter

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 12:28:
Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 11:19:
So they can focus on yet more DLC. Pretty soon that's all they'll make. Can't stand this company.

How do you stand yourself?

I love me. People love me. You hate you. People hate you. Sucks to be you, loser.

"Lights going out and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment, that's entertainment"

7. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 14:24 Peter M. Smith

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 13:50:
From what I understand, the new CEO comes from a gambling site background. If you've listened to the Paradox podcast, it's depressingly clear that they want to start introducing lootbox mechanics, which adds some possible context to why they made this move.

I absolutely love Paradox and like their DLC policy, but this really worries me. I hope I'm off base on this one.

I was listening to the Stellaris Apocalypse Terran Empire #2 Let's Play from three days ago. A question that came in during the live feed was about lootboxes. "We're not fans. The closest we'll get is a Lute Box for Europa Universalis." If somebody else in the company is leaning that way that could change things. But the project lead for Stellaris has given his position.

6. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 13:54 BIGtrouble77

Peter M. Smith wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 12:14:
Or you can sit and listen to their livestreams for the upcoming Stellaris DLC. People are asking which feature being shown is going to be part of the DLC or part of the patch. It's roughly a 50/50 split, with new content leaning DLC and QoL improvements leaning patch.

Those of us that actually play Paradox games (not Cutter) know this to be true... I'd much rather pay for a few CK2 DLC throughout the year rather than pay for a new version every year like the Madden/NHL franchises do.

5. Re: New Paradox CEO Feb 13, 2018, 13:50 BIGtrouble77

From what I understand, the new CEO comes from a gambling site background. If you've listened to the Paradox podcast, it's depressingly clear that they want to start introducing lootbox mechanics, which adds some possible context to why they made this move.

I absolutely love Paradox and like their DLC policy, but this really worries me. I hope I'm off base on this one.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo