Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 22:57 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 17:53:
Thanks guys.

Will pick this up next time it goes on sale.

HZD is one of the rare few titles that I can recommend picking up sans sale. It's that good.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 20:46 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 10:43:
Anyone here played it?

I played it past completion, the expansion, and then some. (Shadow of the Colossus remake is my next buy).

I always got a little turned off by videos of the battles, though, it seemed as if every encounter with a robo-dino just turned into this huge kite and run struggle with an occasional brief, frenzied attack. Is that true?

In the beginning, yes. Aloy is squishy versus all but the weakest bots (typically Watchers and Striders). However, as you advance her abilities, she gets strong enough to hold her own against most (with the exception of Thunderjaws and a few of the more powerful daemonic machines from The Frozen Wilds expansion). For example, she has a melee ability designed for stunning robots with a single melee strike. She also learns to take control of bots, who can then fight for her and decimate mobs en masse.

I highly recommend HZD on a PS4 PRO with a large 4K screen. The quality is unreal!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 19:47 1badmf

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 17:53:
Thanks guys.

i just started playing, but the presentation and storytelling so far are worlds above most games i've played lately. i'll suffer meh combat for a great story, but it doesn't seem to be a kiting special to me so far. i think i'm going to go down the melee ability tree cuz i like it up close and personal.

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 17:53 Creston

Thanks guys.

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 15:06 The Half Elf

I still need to buy and play this. I always got a little turned off by videos of the battles, though, it seemed as if every encounter with a robo-dino just turned into this huge kite and run struggle with an occasional brief, frenzied attack. Is that true? Anyone here played it?

There is a pretty solid system to the different robo's. There isn't a 1 size fits all combat solution.

Go play this Creston, probably one of my type 5 games. You will not be disappointing.

Half-Elf's honor.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 12:34 Jivaro

Creston...with regards to the kiting thing...it's one of those deals where 95% of the time you can kite stuff and be successful but the difficulty or time it takes will vary significantly depending on location, ammo, enemy type, etc. Therefore it is beneficial to learn more than just that one combat technique if you want to save ammo, time, your wrists, etc. Because kiting will almost always be successful if you are fine with just repeating it over and over regardless of the time it takes, size of the combat area, etc... it is my opinion that a lot of folks start and stop with that technique unless somehow forced to do otherwise by the game.

Personally, I find it much more rewarding (and less painful on my hands) to use techniques that make use of the fairly deep control and crafting systems rather then just running backwards all over the place.

I am not great with a gamepad just in general and I had an awesome time with the game. I haven't tried the expansion yet though, but I am looking forward to it. This was one of my top 3 games last year and the writing definitely deserves every award it gets.

Dark's post with a wish for a PC version...I couldn't agree more. The game is beautiful on a PS4 Pro + 4K TV...it would be fantastic on a higher end PC. Being able to use full supported mouse and keyboard controls would be good too.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 11:46 meezookeewee

I still need to buy and play this. I always got a little turned off by videos of the battles, though, it seemed as if every encounter with a robo-dino just turned into this huge kite and run struggle with an occasional brief, frenzied attack. Is that true? Anyone here played it?

There's more to the combat than that. You have this little object called a Focus that you can use to scan the robots for weak spots and then you can target those parts specifically for extra damage. Over the course of the game, you can get different bows that can utilize different kinds of ammo. The combat can be surprisingly fluid. It's a lot of fun. It can get hard at times, for sure, but it's satisfying. Except when you're fighting humans of course. They suck. The combat is at its best when you're fighting the robots. Melee combat is pretty basic, however and should only be used as a last resort. You can craft on the fly without having to stop somewhere. Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the best games I've played on the PS4 in the past couple of years. I highly recommend it.

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 10:43 Creston

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2018, 10:35 Darks

This is one game I really wish the developer would consider putting on the PC. They have already made all the money they will off the PS4 version. Theirs a big market out there now for the PC that they are missing out on.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo