Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War 3 Sets

SEGA issued the following statement to Eurogamer saying that they are moving on from supporting Dawn of War 3 due to disappointing sales, and there will be no further content for the real-time strategy sequel:

While Dawn of War 3 has a dedicated player base, it didn't hit the targets we were expecting at launch, and it hasn't performed the way we had hoped since. It's been tough for us as professionals who want to make great games for our players, and for us as people who care a lot about what we do.

When a game underperforms, plans need to change. With Dawn of War 3, we simply don't have the foundation we need to produce major content. We're working in close partnership with Sega and Games Workshop to determine the best course of action, while shifting focus to other projects within our portfolio.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. removed Feb 12, 2018, 04:01 Maitri Shah

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 12, 2018, 04:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 10, 2018, 22:14 eRe4s3r

Cyant wrote on Feb 9, 2018, 09:11:
No Last Stand mode = No buy

I said it from the begining...

The only reason its on my steam account now is the humble monthly package it was in.

Not gonna lie, even as someone who hates random COOP, Last Stand was awesome

34. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 9, 2018, 14:31 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Feb 9, 2018, 02:17:
mag wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 22:37:
Yeah, SupCom is probably my fav game of all time, especially after the expansion.

For some reason I much prefer the original than the expansion. I guess because it was such a simple three way fight, no sub factions plus the units felt right. In the expansion, they 'felt' like expansion-type units. Don't know how to really explain it, just the feeling I get when I play it. Don't get me started on SupCom2...

=-Rigs-=
Yeah, I'm not really into that fourth faction, but the UI, AI, and stability tweaks made it better.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

33. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 9, 2018, 10:58 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 21:41:
Darks wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 20:09:
Devinoch wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 19:43:
Darks wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 11:08:
Theres a new Warhammer RTS game coming out, it goes back to the basic RTS game play style of base building and massive armies. That is what I want in an RTS game. none of this bullshit they keep coming up with and limited units pop cap crap.

We'll see if it sells enough to merit. RTS games have been a dying breed for a long time now for one major reason - they just don't sell like they used to. And this comes to you from someone who worked at Westwood Studios for a while.

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but in all seriousness, Petroglyph hasn't really made any quality RTS games in a long while, in fact not to many have. Act of Aggression and Act of War were really good RTS games.

And SupCom is the King of all RTS games. but no one makes RTS games like that, and thats what many of us RTS guy want in an RTS game bigger and longer matched games. not this tournament shit they make these days.

Yeah, SupCom is probably my fav game of all time, especially after the expansion.

There's still a community chugging along, too, with Forged Alliance Forever. There's even a slow but steady progression of balance tweaks and fixes (where possible for mods). It's actually in a pretty nice state.
I should fire Forged Alliance back up again. Finn's Revenge map was my favorite.

Steam: SpectralMeat

32. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 9, 2018, 09:11 Cyant

No Last Stand mode = No buy

I said it from the begining...

The only reason its on my steam account now is the humble monthly package it was in.

31. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 9, 2018, 07:40 Bub

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 11:35:

I played DoW 1 and expansions to death. DoW 2 I played for an hour. I didn't buy DoW 3. I think that says it all.

Same here, it is really pathetic how the suits at the top think it is a good idea to take existing popular games and reshape them as MOBA like.

The sad part is the suits will blame the latest DOW failure on the IP and never make another DOW title.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

30. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 9, 2018, 02:17 Rigs

For some reason I much prefer the original than the expansion. I guess because it was such a simple three way fight, no sub factions plus the units felt right. In the expansion, they 'felt' like expansion-type units. Don't know how to really explain it, just the feeling I get when I play it. Don't get me started on SupCom2...

=-Rigs-=

29. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 9, 2018, 01:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Theres a new Warhammer RTS game coming out, it goes back to the basic RTS game play style of base building and massive armies. That is what I want in an RTS game. none of this bullshit they keep coming up with and limited units pop cap crap.

We'll see if it sells enough to merit. RTS games have been a dying breed for a long time now for one major reason - they just don't sell like they used to. And this comes to you from someone who worked at Westwood Studios for a while.

This is a shame, but part of the blame has to lie with the developers. I've been doggedly buying the RTS attempts that have come out over the past few years(except for DoW 3, played it on a free weekend and it was terrible), including: Grey Goo, Planetary Annihilation(and the Titans expansion/revamp), Homeworld:Deserts of Kharak, Ashes of the Singularity(plus Escalation), and... they all feel like they are missing something.

I'm sure some of it is just RTS fatigue, but some of the older(even post War2 and C&C) RTS games just got some stuff right. All of the newer games seem to be just barely missing the formula to outright screwing it up somehow. Either the units are boring, or the controls are annoying, or the counter system is off, etc. etc. Goldilocks' syndrome.

I'm sure most other old school RTS fans have already given up, and younger, potential players don't even get exposed to true RTS, they're all busy playing MOBAs or some other crap. The genre is probably effectively dead at this point, no studio will put the time or money into making a great RTS, when they can just pump out shitty MOBA or PUBG clones or Freemium junk and rake in millions.

Now that I'm thinking about it, why hasn't Ironclad made a Sins of a Solar Empire 2 yet? Oh yeah, they made a shitty MOBA instead that no one played(Sins of a Dark Age), and has already been shut down.

Hrm, now I'm depressed about the utter lack of any good RTS on the horizon.

28. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 22:37 mag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 21:41:

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but in all seriousness, Petroglyph hasn't really made any quality RTS games in a long while, in fact not to many have. Act of Aggression and Act of War were really good RTS games.

And SupCom is the King of all RTS games. but no one makes RTS games like that, and thats what many of us RTS guy want in an RTS game bigger and longer matched games. not this tournament shit they make these days.

There's still a community chugging along, too, with Forged Alliance Forever. There's even a slow but steady progression of balance tweaks and fixes (where possible for mods). It's actually in a pretty nice state.

27. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 21:41 jdreyer

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

26. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 20:59 Numinar

I tried this on the free weekend... it's the first Relic RTS I haven't purchased.

Production quality seemed good. The scale was amazing but it needed Supcom-style UI and screen zoom. I just wasn't given the tools to manage all those units and special abilities.

I uninstalled it after a few MP games with my dad and said "pass" at the very reasonable sale price. I cannot believe this game reviewed so well. And that SP campaign? Gross.

COH1 and DOW were both very innovative, especially COH, which threw out a lot of the genre's anachronisms (As with SUPCOM) which is smart, you cannot compete with Starcraft on it's terms. Even it's own sequel has failed at that.

Even DOW2 took it in a direction a lot hated but was still enjoyable on it's own terms. This thing seems like a kitchen sink of content and no direction or vision.

The maps were awful as well. I know they are hard to balance, but the maps should look like the better COH maps, like actual places, with destructible structures and bridges and objectives which make sense, like hills and choke points. Not like the generic flat land multi player arena starcraft style nonsense.

25. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 20:09 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

24. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 19:43 Devinoch

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

23. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 19:21 Darks

Flo wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 15:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 11:14:
I miss the good old strategy games, Supcom1, DOW1, C&C Generals. I don't understand how these companies don't see what was successful in the past and build upon that when make a new strategy game, instead of this controller friendly MOBA style E-sport shit pile.
Try Forged Battalion!

Yea right! That game is another wanna be Starcraft tournament game. the map layouts and design are every bit like Starcraft. Another fucking waste of an RTS game.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

22. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 18:34 eRe4s3r

OK... not that this is unexpected or anything. <3  

21. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 17:49 bjack

Jagacademy wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 16:04:
This. Dark Crusade was AMAZING. I must have played that thirty times from start to finish.

After reading this, I might pick this up on Steam. Tried to play through Warcraft 3 again for the first time since release, but couldn't get into it because I already knew the story. Might try this in order to satisfy that niche.
Might wanna play original Dow1 or 2 if you want more narrative linear gameplay. Dark Crusade is more waging war on a campaign map style.

20. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 16:59 Jagacademy

Creston wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 16:04:
This. Dark Crusade was AMAZING. I must have played that thirty times from start to finish.

After reading this, I might pick this up on Steam. Tried to play through Warcraft 3 again for the first time since release, but couldn't get into it because I already knew the story. Might try this in order to satisfy that niche.

19. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 16:18 Osc8r

Trailer for the game was awesome...but it was all downhill from there.

What happened to the co-op campaign, and why MOBA in a RTS?

18. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 16:16 VaranDragon

verybad1 wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 14:01:
Make a good game by game makers/players. You end up with a good game.

Make a "good game" by salespeople and you and up with an item shit.

Fixed that for you.

17. Re: Dawn of War 3 Sets Feb 8, 2018, 16:09 SpectralMeat

Flo wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 15:50:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 8, 2018, 11:14:
I miss the good old strategy games, Supcom1, DOW1, C&C Generals. I don't understand how these companies don't see what was successful in the past and build upon that when make a new strategy game, instead of this controller friendly MOBA style E-sport shit pile.
Try Forged Battalion!
I've looked at it before. the cartoonish graphics just didn't do it for me. Wish there was a demo or something to try the game. Hard to judge RTS from videos.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Steam: SpectralMeat

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo