Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We're getting some snow right now in this area, a pretty steady downfall that's accumulating pretty quickly. The temperature is just on the border of freezing, though, and the forecast says this should turn to rain later. This tempts me to ignore it and let it sort itself out, but the last time I was clever like that I ended up with an ice skating rink after everything refroze, so I'll probably go out and shovel rather than risk a repeat of that ridiculous outcome. Once slippin', twice dry.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: 3D Car Simulator.
Stories: All the Star Wars movies and shows in development right now.
New Hampshire winner of $560M lottery says she made a 'huge mistake'.
Science: Sedate a Plant, and It Seems to Lose Consciousness. Is It Conscious? Thanks j.c.f.
Why dog breeds have so much more variety than cat breeds. Thanks RedEye9.
The Mutant, All-Female Crayfish That Reproduce by Cloning Themselves. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Spawn Camper - Epic NPC Man.
(4) YOU’RE A TROLL! - TRAP ADVENTURE 2 (Adults React- Gaming).
The Life of a "Pinhead" -A Pinball Documentary. Thanks reddit. Bonus Clip.
Follow-up: Elon Musk’s Tesla roadster is going farther out into the Solar System than originally planned.
The Funnies: Sunny Street.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. (4) Feb 9, 2018, 04:02 Ant

I guess Blue has four unread messages in his logged in YouTube account. [grin]  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: All the Star Wars movies and shows in development right now Feb 9, 2018, 03:58 Ant

Simon Says wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 11:39:
Disney going: *Milk milk milk*
BLUE milk.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2018, 03:21 jdreyer

Actually, if I won the lottery, I'd buy a house right next to Blue's house.

I wouldn't live there though, because that would be creepy.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2018, 03:20 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 18:40:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 18:24:
If I won the lottery, I'd give some to Blue so he could implement a comment like/dislike system.

Ha! I honestly don't know what dislikes would do to make things better, but it would be nice to be able to upvote someone that said something clever. Sometimes I'll post a "ha!" but sometimes something is clever but not clever to waste others' time with a pointless response telling them that.

Too many dislikes, and a post gets hidden! Each person could set their own threshold.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2018, 03:17 jdreyer

Hoop wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 18:29:
I'm confident the Tesla has asteroid avoidance.

It's not upgraded to see the white ones though. It will plow right into those.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 19:31 Graham

If I won the lottery, I'd give some to Blue so he could implement a comment like/dislike system.

You mean a dislike/dislike more system right?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 18:40 Beamer

Ha! I honestly don't know what dislikes would do to make things better, but it would be nice to be able to upvote someone that said something clever. Sometimes I'll post a "ha!" but sometimes something is clever but not clever to waste others' time with a pointless response telling them that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 18:38 RedEye9

I just want more restaurant reviews and house horror stories

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 18:29 Hoop

I'm confident the Tesla has asteroid avoidance.  

Um .. Behind you...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 18:24 jdreyer

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 16:49 Mr. Tact

Without a doubt winning millions comes with some problems. That said, I don't know anyone who would turn down the winnings due to those problems.

It is an interesting issue. On the one hand, the public has a reasonable right to know the lottery people are, in fact, giving the money away and not spreading it around the office. On the other hand, I'm sure most people would prefer to remain anonymous. What's odd/crazy/silly is this is all controlled by state laws. So, in some states you can take the winnings anonymously, in others you can't, or some (like NH apparently) it is possible to be anonymous, but you have to take the right steps.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 15:56 Tipsy McStagger

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 15:46:
First thing I'd do is change my name. Then I'd disappear and stay gone for years at least. Just take a long slow trip around the world via first class ship and train, and road tripping in a luxury camper van sorta thing. And hire a company to scrub all online info - using right to be forgotten etc. - about me. I'd probably travel with a bodyguard or two for the first year or two until I knew I could relocate somewhere safe and no one would know who I am. I'd probably just end up traveling the rest of my days.

I'd invest heavily and try to create some sort of charity that's self-sustaining through invesments - DRIPs - that would continue in perpetuity for long after I'm gone.

You'd have to do this for everyone you ever loved. People will kidnap your uncles/cousins/etc to get money from you.

In the age of bitcoin, it's a lot harder to not pay them.

Personally, I'll claim it for her for a small fee of 1%.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 15:46 Cutter

First thing I'd do is change my name. Then I'd disappear and stay gone for years at least. Just take a long slow trip around the world via first class ship and train, and road tripping in a luxury camper van sorta thing. And hire a company to scrub all online info - using right to be forgotten etc. - about me. I'd probably travel with a bodyguard or two for the first year or two until I knew I could relocate somewhere safe and no one would know who I am. I'd probably just end up traveling the rest of my days.

I'd invest heavily and try to create some sort of charity that's self-sustaining through invesments - DRIPs - that would continue in perpetuity for long after I'm gone.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 15:04 HoSpanky

Winning ANY size lottery is dangerous, and the huge one she won is crazy dangerous. Her entire extended family would become prime kidnapping targets. That’s ignoring the massive PITA for her from those same extended relatives expecting to be taken care of, and every charity on earth hounding her.

It sucks. I’ve occasionally wondered if I’d stay in my neighborhood if I somehow won the lottery. While I’d happily just replace my house with something a LITTLE bigger and laid out better, if my name was public knowledge, I COULDN’T stay there. If I could keep it a secret? Well, shit yeah. I’d tear the house down, tell my neighbors the new house was paid for by insurance due to some mold or something. Start a fake mortgage company and buy up my family/friends’ mortgages one at a time.

As for the crayfish, I assume it’ll drop the price of them to restaurants. There’s a couple Cajun places here that would benefit hugely from that. No mention in the article if there’s any downside, like “they taste awful”, or “they’re borderline poisonous”. It focuses entirely on people keeping them as pets, as if THAT’s the crayfish’s prime fate.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 11:48 Pigeon

I'll graciously take that $560m off her hands, my anonymity be damned.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2018, 11:48 Cutter

Hope she wins her suit. Here you don't have the option of remaining anonymous if you win the lotto. That's a stupid and outright dangerous policy. I like how in China people show up in costume to hide their identities when they win.

Costumed Lottery Winners

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

1. All the Star Wars movies and shows in development right now Feb 7, 2018, 11:39 Simon Says

Disney going: *Milk milk milk*  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo