Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans

Frontier announces they are accepting signups for Distant Worlds II, a daring Elite Dangerous expedition to form a fleet to boldly go where no one has gone before (thanks K). This will get underway late this year, but they registration is underway already to accommodate scouting missions and other preparations. Here's the general idea:

Distant Worlds II will be a journey to the far outer rim and back, with the outbound journey culminating at Beagle Point. We also plan to organize the return trip, and this will be a more indirect route home taking participants through some seldom travelled regions in an attempt to retrace the USS Voyager's journey home from the delta quadrant.

The overall journey (there and back) will cover at least 200,000 light years. The map below should be considered as a rough approximation of the intended routes for the time being as the full itineraries and schedules, including waypoint locations, for both "Outbound" and "The Journey Home" will be posted later this year with a more detailed route map.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 12:40 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 19:03:
Finally got around to uninstalling. Complete waste of $10. Watching paint dry is more entertaining than this game. X Rebirth complete on the other hand is actually fun and nice to look at. Can't wait for X4.

I can't wait for your expectations to be dashed on the buggy POS that X games always launch as.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 10:36 Turd Ferguson

Aye, mining is a joke indeed, however they are addressing that neglect sometime this year, making it a full fledged career. Which should be interesting, specially with the big carrier base ships coming in to play.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Fleet_Carrier

Can't wait to play in VR

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2018, 13:11.

17. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 09:31 |RaptoR|

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 5, 2018, 01:15:
Finally got around to uninstalling. Complete waste of $10. Watching paint dry is more entertaining than this game. X Rebirth complete on the other hand is actually fun and nice to look at. Can't wait for X4.
Where the hell is the next Commander Keen? Better than this ED garbage. /s

And what the hell did Cutter post on July 2006?

That's when he created his account lol

Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

16. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 09:31 Zoom

The only aspect of the game that's enjoyable, deep, and complete (and has seen a few iterations) is combat. Bounty hunting, proper warfare, these are well done and rather well polished.
I'll also mention that it's possibly the best VR experience to date.
Every other aspect of the game is only superficial, shallow, repetitive. Exploration has pretty much nothing to it, see the same loading screen over and over thousands times until your brain melts (i know most people watch Netflix during exploration, i'm in VR, no dual screens in there...), trading is a placeholder, mining is a joke, you have very limited player interaction due to the p2p networking and the very few players you do meet are idiotic gankers.
So yeah, best VR space combat to date, with flashy graphics. Worth the price for that IMHO, if you have no VR you will be mostly disappointed.

(edit) if someone has to use external programs and Netflix to play your game, then something is amiss...

15. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 09:07 Turd Ferguson

Spending the money on 1/2 of the game and complaining that it blows chunks because you only seen 10% of the the whole picture, it's not really a valid perspective. Horizons is where it's at, landing on planets, hearing your ship sequel and creek as you come in, into orbital glide, is pretty cool.

I think the whole soul purpose of Elite was exploration and everything else, later. Perhaps during the course of development devs got too excited about exploration that they kinda forgot about everything else?

Trading definitely wasn't on their priority list.

Whatever the case may be, good things are coming, gfx face lifts to the planets, also to clouds of interstellar gas and dust. Ships, trading galaxy map and whatever else they haven't announced yet.

I hope that they will keep turning up the creative awesome and slowly turning down the suck. Juggle

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2018, 03:01 Tom

Numinar wrote on Feb 5, 2018, 01:19:
It's a universe that does not give a fuck about you, because you are not only not the center of it, you are not even a relevant data point in it outside those you get into a brouhaha with (Which is nobody if you play solo or in a PVE private group). If you organise with some people you might be able to flip a system or mess with the economy locally or troll a cancer patient but in a games market where every game involves you being the motherfucking chosen one I think it's a brave, dedicated design decision that should be applauded.
That would all be well and good except that the universe is pure RNG procedural crap with no soul. Yeah, so Stellar Forge is all scientifically accurate, great. That would've made an excellent base for a game. But there's nothing INTERESTING going on out there. Nothing but grind and no reward for it except more grind. Frontier's pathetic attempts to add compelling gameplay to the game have failed every single time. But that'll happen when you have an abject failure of a game designer calling the shots and nobody with the sense to show him the door.

13. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 02:13 Armengar

sounds like a plan but will be griefed to hell and back. ill stick with mobius ta.

the other problem will be the lack of dedicated people. once the dedicated people go on the trip, the bubble will lose those dedicated people and the inner systems will go to shit.

ill plan a break from the game when this goes out....

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

12. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 01:19 Numinar

|RaptoR| wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 22:28:
Rigs wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 20:27:

The last half of your comment invalidates the first half by a rather large margin. If you can sit here and tell me that X: Rebirth has more value and plays better than Elite:Dangerous with a straight face then your opinion is highly suspect.

*waits for the inevitable reply that I'm an idiot, not worth listening to, should shut my fucking mouth and, oh, my mother was a whore*

=-Rigs-=

Cutter hasn't had any valuable contributions to this forum since July 2006

I dunno, he is not wrong on Elite. It's not meant for everyone.

It's a universe that does not give a fuck about you, because you are not only not the center of it, you are not even a relevant data point in it outside those you get into a brouhaha with (Which is nobody if you play solo or in a PVE private group). If you organise with some people you might be able to flip a system or mess with the economy locally or troll a cancer patient but in a games market where every game involves you being the motherfucking chosen one I think it's a brave, dedicated design decision that should be applauded.

I myself love it the same way I love the Truck Simulator series, or Sid Meier's Pirates! Elite has more variety than that but it's still the same idea. It's an approximation of an actual job. It's about discipline, repetitiveness, having the radio set to something good, beers and the odd pirate/griefer encounter/smart car collision. The attachment you build with your rig/ship as it gets you through the good times and bad, learning it's limitations and strengths.

I don't think I could do this long distance shit in Elite unless I got a divorce and had people to hang with, but it really is an astonishingly beautiful game. I think the furtherest I've been from the civilised bubble is 3k ly before I ran out of beer, gave up and made a beeline for home. I'm sure with some decent engineer upgrades and company it's a lot more fun and might be worth it but in an uncaring universe it takes a specific mindset that is at odds with the delayed but inevitable gratification of almost every other game which is engineered like drugs to pay out as you go, for me the most recent example would be Subnautica, where it may take effort and it doesn't do much hand holding, but you will definately get cooler shit/vehicles/efficiency if you put in the time and do a little planning.

11. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 01:15 BIGtrouble77

Where the hell is the next Commander Keen? Better than this ED garbage. /s

And what the hell did Cutter post on July 2006?

10. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 23:43 Creston

X Rebirth was absolute dogshit when it was released, but now that they've (finally) patched everything up and everything works as intended, it's a pretty decent game. There's plenty to do mission-wise, the combat is quite fun, the scenery is gorgeous and nice to explore, and graphically it still holds up well. There are some truly stupid design decisions, but fortunately there are mods that take care of the most egregious ones, so they aren't an issue.

The big downside is that, because you only have one ship to fly, and you can fully upgrade it within ~ 5 hours of starting out (minus a few Mk5 items), there just is very little incentive to keep playing it.

I bought several Lyramekrons ("trading" vessels that carry more weaponry than Destroyers) for trading, fully decked out, giggled as I sent them into pirate territory and watched them lay absolute waste to everything that even remotely looked at them wrong. But after that, yeah, they made me ~ 3 million per trading trip, but what was the point? I could buy a hundred more eventually, but all it would lead to was more money that would never get ME anything. I could buy stations but again, it wouldn't get ME anything.

X4 should be awesome again in that you can fly everything, so there's a point to making 200 million credits.

Even so, for ~ 20 hours or so, Rebirth is quite fun now.

9. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 22:39 Burrito of Peace

X Rebirth complete on the other hand is actually fun and nice to look at. Can't wait for X4.

I am a fan of the X series and, as I have said to you before, Rebirth is absolute and total dogshit. It is a fucking terrible game. If you're expecting X4 to be anything like Rebirth then I am very, very happy that you'll be disappointed.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

8. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 22:28 |RaptoR|

Rigs wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 20:27:

The last half of your comment invalidates the first half by a rather large margin. If you can sit here and tell me that X: Rebirth has more value and plays better than Elite:Dangerous with a straight face then your opinion is highly suspect.

*waits for the inevitable reply that I'm an idiot, not worth listening to, should shut my fucking mouth and, oh, my mother was a whore*

=-Rigs-=

Cutter hasn't had any valuable contributions to this forum since July 2006

Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

7. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 20:27 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

6. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 19:03 Cutter

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

5. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 18:44 MT Silver

Godspeed, gentlemen.  

4. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 17:38 Turd Ferguson

ED community is a very dedicated bunch, this should be great.

3. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 17:32 Burrito of Peace

I'm really looking forward to the release of the Chieftain.  

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

2. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 17:14 Mr. Tact

I really need to get back into this game... but it will have to wait until I have at least gotten bored with NMS..  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 17:05 Flatline

That's pretty badass.

The community behind E:D continues to impress me at how they are creating content from the sandbox. I hope Frontier can keep adding in systems to help encourage stuff like this.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo