More on PUBG Versus Cheaters

An update on Steam for PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS discusses the continuing war against those who cheat in the battle royale shooter. They say an update will roll out next week with some enhancements to their cheat detection. The comments below the article suggest region banning China will solve most of their problems, but the developers are taking a more nuanced approach, as detailed in this excerpt:
As you drop out of the airplane and the intense journey to become the last survivor begins, the last thing a player wants to see is a cheater. We deeply sympathize with the inconvenience that our players are experiencing due to cheat programs and we are doing our best to fight those who create, distribute and use cheats. Our top goal is to create an environment that facilitates smooth and unhindered enjoyment of all the aspects of PUBG.

To this end, we have established a dedicated team to focus on combating cheat programs and since our launch on early access we have been committed to detecting and preventing such programs. As part of that effort, we have developed a new anti-cheat solution internally. We will be introducing an early version of the solution on our live servers next week (this is the solution that is currently being tested on our test servers). This solution will complement the systems that have been developed and implemented already. Its main focus for now is blocking unauthorized programs but it will be further developed to broaden the scope of its abilities.

This feature will also block different helper programs that alter the graphics or aid in gameplay in some way. What these programs have in common is that they all hook into our game and transform game files. Programs that are not used to gain an unfair advantage can also be blocked if they behave like cheats.

Some programs that do not affect gameplay may be blocked temporarily as we hone the new anti-cheat features. We are checking the programs that are being blocked on the test servers and will allow the use of harmless programs as quickly as possible.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters
Feb 4, 2018, 14:45
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 4, 2018, 14:45
Feb 4, 2018, 14:45

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 12:26:
grudgebearer wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 11:20:
The only upside to a PUBG update, is that for about 30 hours afterwards the Chinese don't invade the NA and EU servers until their cheats are updated to the new versions that work with the game.

That is sort of interesting, perhaps they need a small daily patch that does just enough to mess up cheat apps, more of a daily security update. Thoughts?

All you need is a ping filter, higher than 100ms for more than 3 seconds -> kick

It's how we had our BF4 server set up, nobody ever complained.

Feb 4, 2018, 12:26
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 4, 2018, 12:26
Feb 4, 2018, 12:26

grudgebearer wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 11:20:
The only upside to a PUBG update, is that for about 30 hours afterwards the Chinese don't invade the NA and EU servers until their cheats are updated to the new versions that work with the game.

That is sort of interesting, perhaps they need a small daily patch that does just enough to mess up cheat apps, more of a daily security update. Thoughts?

Feb 4, 2018, 11:20
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 4, 2018, 11:20
Feb 4, 2018, 11:20

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 03:22:
Then the whine about lag, rubber banding and so on. Dude gets jobbed and they don't think it is possible. Cheater! This is as old as multiplayer gaming itself. That is the hard part of watching streams, the commentators cry lag whenever something goes wrong, seen or unseen. What I've noticed those guys usually are very average at best players.

The only difference is that in PUBG the netcode really is so horrendous, that the myriad of Asian players on your server are desyncing to the point that it's comical, and throw in the blatant and rampant cheating in literally every game, and then you can start to understand the constant level of frustration.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.
-Robert Heinlein

Feb 4, 2018, 05:06
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 4, 2018, 05:06
Feb 4, 2018, 05:06

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 03:22:
Then the whine about lag, rubber banding and so on. Dude gets jobbed and they don't think it is possible. Cheater! This is as old as multiplayer gaming itself. That is the hard part of watching streams, the commentators cry lag whenever something goes wrong, seen or unseen. What I've noticed those guys usually are very average at best players.

It's maddening. I don't watch people that yell and complain.
Gotta stay calm and self critical. Sure there are problems, but they won't prevent you from getting good in the long run.

Feb 4, 2018, 03:22
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 4, 2018, 03:22
Feb 4, 2018, 03:22

Feb 4, 2018, 01:05
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 4, 2018, 01:05
Feb 4, 2018, 01:05

Numinar wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 20:53:
Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 12:52:
Player-run moderated servers don't have these problems.

BS. It was pretty bad back then. And if the cheaters were not being a pain (It was hard to perma ban people using pirated software and spoofed accounts) the mods themselves were being a pain.

I admit, I had a few good servers for Actionquake and Operation Flashpoint, but they took a lot of work to keep a few dozen people happy in game out of a total weekly user population of 200 or so.

This game is dealing with this: http://steamspy.com/app/578080

I don't think it would have gotten those numbers with parochial community run servers. Though ARK and a few others try, I wouldn't rate any of those experiences better than a cheater filled game of PUBG.

I played the crap out of OFP and I cant remember ever seeing a cheater in that game. Same with ArmA 2 (which only changed after DayZ).

The only bad thing about such servers were that some admins were power tripping assholes that kicked you if you even remotely criticized them and the situations when there was no admin on and cheaters wrecked havoc on the server. But you could avoid those servers. Now you just get randomly thrown into a bunch of people from all over the world, who dont even speak English and of course cheat and exploit a lot, because there is no admin who will watch them play and ban them on the spot.

I honestly hope PUBG will lose lots of players over this and their refusal of fixing big technical issues. Thats the only way they will learn. You know because they are calling their playerbase racists just because they want a region lock and dont want to deal with people they cant speak to (because they dont speak English) and have to deal with high ping people with this shitty netcode and of course having to deal with people from the most cheat infested region ever. Hell, I would have region locked Turkey and Russia in my game just because of the last reason I mentioned.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Feb 4, 2018, 00:31
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 4, 2018, 00:31
Feb 4, 2018, 00:31

lol at the 200+ pages of comments asking for a China region block.

Feb 3, 2018, 23:06
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 23:06
Feb 3, 2018, 23:06

MrRadicalEd wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 15:52:
It baffles me why the developers insist on treating this like a privately hosted ARMA mod with matchmaking.

Because gamers proved to be stupid... as soon as everyone proved they were an idiot with mmo's - buying corporate malware infested games and buying into steam it was over.

The big plan was since the game industry was a part of the tech industry was to remove control of software from the user. We've seen the big push to make all games have always online drm. Diablo 3 being a case in point.

So no the era of dedicated servers that users control is likely over for good outside of small games.

The internet allowed companies to release only part of the game and hold part back at their computers at hq, that fucked up gaming because the average kid in generations after the 90's quake/doom generation has no computer literacy at all. AKA has no idea how computers work and is easily deceived.

Feb 3, 2018, 22:36
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 22:36
Feb 3, 2018, 22:36

I played tonight for the first time in months and got killed twice by people blatantly using aim cheats.

Yes, they need to fix this shit.

Feb 3, 2018, 21:37
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 21:37
Feb 3, 2018, 21:37

Had a fun run last night with mrgrosser. He and I landed with 2 women and started chasing them, figured we could punch them when they picked up weapons. Sadly I died by a 3rd women, while mrgrosser chased one down in one of the funniest Benny Hill moments I've seen.
The [url=Fun Starts]https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225200760[/url] at 3:32, and we ended the night with a Chicken Dinner!

Feb 3, 2018, 20:53
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 20:53
Feb 3, 2018, 20:53

BS. It was pretty bad back then. And if the cheaters were not being a pain (It was hard to perma ban people using pirated software and spoofed accounts) the mods themselves were being a pain.

I admit, I had a few good servers for Actionquake and Operation Flashpoint, but they took a lot of work to keep a few dozen people happy in game out of a total weekly user population of 200 or so.

This game is dealing with this: http://steamspy.com/app/578080

I don't think it would have gotten those numbers with parochial community run servers. Though ARK and a few others try, I wouldn't rate any of those experiences better than a cheater filled game of PUBG.

Feb 3, 2018, 20:32
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 20:32
Feb 3, 2018, 20:32

I get the player run servers, that is my preference as well. But then I don't play games like this on avg, but I know a big draw to this game is the masses are playing it, popularity and familiarity, like WOW. And if it were just player run servers it just wouldn't have the same mass draw, esp on our own servers.

Feb 3, 2018, 17:31
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 17:31
Feb 3, 2018, 17:31

1. Privately-hosted servers
2. Moddable (vehicle amounts, item amounts, circle size, circle damage etc..)
3. Let the moderators ban as required and allow the community to once again build a community
4. Failing all that, god damnit region lock China. Every time I get killed by a hacker, the name is something Chinese (not saying that makes then Chines, but it's likely)
The amount of damage done to the US in the first week alone has to have China and Russia laughing at us.

Feb 3, 2018, 17:14
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 17:14
Feb 3, 2018, 17:14

Darks wrote on Feb 3, 2018, 15:41:
It kills me that his game being a competitive game does not have VAC enabled in it. But a game like Sword Coast Legends that has no competitive multiplayer at all has VAC and killed the game because everyone was afraid to try and mod the game for fear of being VAC banned. Someone explain the logic in that!

Rumor has it that "no modding" was a GW licensing restriction, only the really big powerhouses like Sega can negotiate exceptions (Total War..)

Feb 3, 2018, 15:52
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 15:52
Feb 3, 2018, 15:52

It baffles me why the developers insist on treating this like a privately hosted ARMA mod with matchmaking.

I'd play the hell out of this game if I could haunt a dedicated server, learn who the regulars were, and gain some friends along the way.

Feb 3, 2018, 15:41
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 15:41
Feb 3, 2018, 15:41

It kills me that his game being a competitive game does not have VAC enabled in it. But a game like Sword Coast Legends that has no competitive multiplayer at all has VAC and killed the game because everyone was afraid to try and mod the game for fear of being VAC banned. Someone explain the logic in that!
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Feb 3, 2018, 13:12
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 13:12
Feb 3, 2018, 13:12

QFT

Also, they aren't even battling HS%

Feb 3, 2018, 12:52
Re: More on PUBG Versus Cheaters Feb 3, 2018, 12:52
Feb 3, 2018, 12:52

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older