Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning

EA bypasses the enthusiast media in favor of the WSJ again as this tweet says Star Wars Battlefront II sold about 9 million copies, which is about 10% lower than projected. In spite of the game's loot box controversies probable role in that shortfall, VG247 reports the Star Wars action game will resume selling loot boxes in the coming months. "Digital economies have a place, and we will continue to drive and focus on that," said EA CEO Andrew Wilson during an earnings conference call. "The teams are working on how that context will apply to the Battlefront universe, but more on that in the months to come."
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 17:30 thecakeisalie

They said microtransactions and loot crates would be back and here they are.

The people who bought this game without caring about the predatory pay-to-win before the backlash yanked it out or who just didn't GAF because it's "Star Wars" are fuckwits who are helping to turn gaming into a gold mine for Wall Street at our expense.

The people who bought it thinking that EA "learned their lesson" from the initial backlash from some consumers are idiots and are even bigger idiots if they keep playing and spend even a penny on "recurring revenue" items. You, too, are contributing to the delinquency of the video game industry since you helped make the game profitable when it really needed to fail. Badly.

I tip my virtual hat to the people who stood by their convictions and didn't buy this steaming pile. As much as I like Star Wars, I couldn't condone the fuckery that EA tried to pull initially with this game and is going to pull in some form or another soon.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 11:07 RedEye9

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 08:14:
I'm sure the return of the loot crates will drastically improve sales
Return of the Loot Crates is also the working title for the next Star Wars movie.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 10:11 Creston

"Now that we've sold enough copies to you idiots who thought we gave a shit about you, we can now go back to our regularly scheduled big middle finger. Thanks!"

Eh, they did say this would happen, so whatever.

15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 08:38 MoreLuckThanSkill

Is this on sale for $9.99 yet? I'll probably get it eventually, just to see how gorgeous it is in 4k, and to at least play the campaign.

Loot crate-ers gonna loot crate.

14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 08:14 SpectralMeat

I'm sure the return of the loot crates will drastically improve sales  

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 06:24 Prez

Fuck EA.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 03:50 DangerDog

There's plenty to complain about, but at the end of the day I did have some fun with it and put in more hours than I thought I would. It was a solid shooter, was a fun three month romp especially since I bought it on the cheap.

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 01:31 CJ_Parker

Of course. Disney made EA push 'pause' for Episode VIII. Now that the Episode VIII hype has come to an end, EA gets their free reign in fucking over consumers back again.
And to make up for the losses in revenue in December, I'm sure they'll come up with something extra-fucked.

Those sales numbers are just sad. Nine million mouthbreathers. Just goes to show that the vast majority of gamers have a spine weaker than a gummy bear's.

10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 31, 2018, 00:21 DangerDog

Seems it was Disney that made the call to push the pause button on selling lootcrates. They're working on replacing the progression system but I'm sure whatever they replace it with will be a grind.

Surprisingly the game is still active, would have expected it to have died by now on the PC.

9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 23:38 Slick

double post  

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 23:37 Slick

1) I have all the characters I play maxed out within about 2 months after launch, and I play all game modes, heroes, enforcers, starfighters etc. These paid loot crates mean nothing to anyone who actually plays the game regularly, as regularly as the grind in any Battlefield title for instance. Speaking of which, the last 3 Battlefield games have all had paid shortcut kits to unlock perks and guns released a few months after launch, no one cared. Battlefront at least has no way of ever paying to unlock better guns, which is the only thing that can win a 1v1, as no starcards improve base troopers' health or damage output.

2) I'm enjoying the free DLC content, not dealing with season passes, the extra money it would cost me, and the fragmentation of the playerbase.

3) I'm enjoying the game as a whole, it's quite fun.

4) you're joking with the "top 100 on Steam right?" I know people are pretty uninformed when it comes to this game, but that made me lol.

Like the Human Torch says: "Flame on."

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 22:55 eRe4s3r

Rhett wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 21:54:
Fion wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 21:21:
Not that it matters, this game is dead now. It's not even close to the top 100 played on Steam, and there are currently about 250 people watching battlefront II streams on Twitch. It's nowhere near the first page.

Apparently it sold under 2 million units, which is pathetic for a AAA multiplayer game. Sure they may get some wales spending a few thousand on these microtransactions, but they won't come close to recouping their costs.

EA can go fuck themselves. I don't even care about Anthem, let alone if it got pushed back. Bioware is dead to me.

Top 100 on steam? This isn't on Steam... only Origin. Though I'm not sure if there's a stats page for Origin.

I think he means the actual Battlefront II Not this fake new one

6. Re: Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 22:52 Muscular Beaver

But, but...I actually thought they'd learned their lesson! We all came together and told them what we really wanted and they listened!

- Said no one ever

=-Rigs-=

That implies that everyone always learns from their mistakes.
No. I tell a phrase like that to myself almost daily.
Funny, even my dogs learn quicker. They are pretty intelligent for dogs, but still. We are Humans, were supposed to be the most intelligent creatures on this planet.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2018, 23:03.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

5. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 21:54 Rhett

Fion wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 21:21:
Not that it matters, this game is dead now. It's not even close to the top 100 played on Steam, and there are currently about 250 people watching battlefront II streams on Twitch. It's nowhere near the first page.

Apparently it sold under 2 million units, which is pathetic for a AAA multiplayer game. Sure they may get some wales spending a few thousand on these microtransactions, but they won't come close to recouping their costs.

EA can go fuck themselves. I don't even care about Anthem, let alone if it got pushed back. Bioware is dead to me.

Top 100 on steam? This isn't on Steam... only Origin. Though I'm not sure if there's a stats page for Origin.

4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 21:21 Fion

3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 21:11 Dacron

Huh. It's almost like their stock (which took a hit in late Nov due to the original outage on this...) made a full recovery already.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 21:00 jdreyer

Shocked I tell you! Shocked!  

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

1. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Loot Crates Returning Jan 30, 2018, 20:25 Rigs

But, but...I actually thought they'd learned their lesson! We all came together and told them what we really wanted and they listened!

- Said no one ever

=-Rigs-=

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >