Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue's car would not start today for some reason. It wouldn't unlock via the remote, and when we tried the button starter, the wires may as well have been cut for it failed to respond. It seems odd that the battery would be completely dead, rather than just weak, but when I tried my starter, it failed to work, and said the battery had a 0% charge. Fewer aspects of modern cars are user-serviceable all the time, and this has basically expended all my troubleshooting skills, so we'll have to ask MrHonda to get under the hood and help us dope this out.

R.I.P.: Swedish IKEA founder Kamprad dies at 91.

Responsive Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Squarus.
Link: How to Make Chili. Includes my new favorite recipe. Thanks RedEye9.
Stories: Minnesota Vikings using Pro Bowl to recover from disappointment.
Final "Thrones" Season In April 2019?
Stranded French climber flown from Pakistan's 'Killer Mountain.'
Science: How a Church Deacon Found the Biggest Prime Number Yet (It Wasn’t as Hard as You Think). Thanks Neutronbeam.
She championed the idea that freezing your eggs would free your career. But things didn’t quite work out.
Media: Waking up the Wife.
A voice actor is asked to speak like he's seen a lion. Thanks ViperFour.
Cannot Unsee — 130 Years of National Geographic Covers in under two minutes.
The Funnies: Eating Tide Pods.
Adult Children.
Update and Restart.
View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2018, 10:24 RedEye9

Asmodai wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 02:49:
Cutter wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 18:04:
And there ya go, honey, choose a career or choose a family. That's the way Evolution has decided it'll be.

Yup.

At some point, people (not men or women, people...) will have to learn that you can't have it all. You can't be a mega-rich CEO and not seriously stunt your relationships with family and friends. You can't wait till 45 and hope that you pop out a brood of perfectly healthy kids as if you were still 20.

And most telling, women who wait till their late 30's/early 40's to look for Mr. Right are entering a market where they are nearly superfluous.

Even if portions of the world are willing to make believe we can have it all, biology gives zero cares.

Oh look, it's Mansplaining in the wild, impressive. sigh

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2018, 09:58 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 23:55:
<Electric-Spock> wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 21:58:
Hey Blue, Try disconnecting the cables that run to the battery and reattach them, even if they seem connected properly. I've had the same issue where even a jump would not work and there was no signs of any sort of power making it to the engine. I thought it was some electrical issue and called my mechanic buddy and he was like naw man, that doesn't sound right. He came over, jostled the cables, and still no power. Then he reseated the cables and the vehicle started right up. I'd try that before calling for a tow or whatever situation you're up against.

Good Luck.

Good point, oxidation build up between the battery and the connectors can prevent current from flowing. Reseating the cables would scrape enough away to get it to start.
I agree, i drove a brand new rental car 400 miles and when i turned it off it would not crank. Clamp was loose on the battery post.

Blue said "when I tried my 'starter', it failed to work, and said the battery had a 0% charge." I'm not sure what he meant by "starter", unless it is a device you attach to a cars battery and use it to diagnose and/or jump. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-1000-Amp-Peak-Jump-Starter-J509/14560016

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2018, 03:37 The Half Elf

That's why I love my 98 Honda Accord. Officially 20 years old this year. 185k miles, 1 previous owned, and cheap/easy to repair!  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2018, 02:49 Asmodai

And there ya go, honey, choose a career or choose a family. That's the way Evolution has decided it'll be.

Yup.

At some point, people (not men or women, people...) will have to learn that you can't have it all. You can't be a mega-rich CEO and not seriously stunt your relationships with family and friends. You can't wait till 45 and hope that you pop out a brood of perfectly healthy kids as if you were still 20.

And most telling, women who wait till their late 30's/early 40's to look for Mr. Right are entering a market where they are nearly superfluous.

Even if portions of the world are willing to make believe we can have it all, biology gives zero fucks.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 23:55 jdreyer

<Electric-Spock> wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 21:58:
Hey Blue, Try disconnecting the cables that run to the battery and reattach them, even if they seem connected properly. I've had the same issue where even a jump would not work and there was no signs of any sort of power making it to the engine. I thought it was some electrical issue and called my mechanic buddy and he was like naw man, that doesn't sound right. He came over, jostled the cables, and still no power. Then he reseated the cables and the vehicle started right up. I'd try that before calling for a tow or whatever situation you're up against.

Good Luck.

Good point, oxidation build up between the battery and the connectors can prevent current from flowing. Reseating the cables would scrape enough away to get it to start.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 23:53 jdreyer

Shock wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 20:57:
Blue, are you sure it's not the key fob? Are you sure you don't need to just replace the battery in it?

In my experience, it's cheaper to replace the battery than the key fob

I changed the battery in my key fob. It was a $3 battery.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 21:58 <Electric-Spock>

Good Luck.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 21:19 Cutter

Devinoch wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 18:56:
Kamprad's coffin was made out of lovely pressboard, and was assembled using an allen wrench in just a few minutes.

That asshole was a real monster. Good riddance to bad rubbish. He will not be missed.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 21:18 Cutter

Shock wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 20:57:
Blue, are you sure it's not the key fob? Are you sure you don't need to just replace the battery in it?

That's what I said, the battery in the key fob. Same thing happened to me once. Took me about an hour to clue in that there was nothing wrong with the car but the battery was dead in the key fob.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
- Winston Churchill

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 20:57 Shock

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 20:38 Mr. Tact

I saw some minor indications of a failing battery in my car, I had to crank it a bit, normally it starts instantly. I often do short drives, five miles to the coffee shop, five miles back -- I'm guessing that kind of driving is tough on the battery. Looked in my records and saw the battery had recently passed its' fifth birthday. So, the next time I did a maintenance on the car I told them to put a new battery in.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 20:35 jdreyer

Number one video on Videosift right now is some guy using Garageband for iOS 10 and single handedly making a cover of Video Killed the Radio Star.

Just amazing.

10. Re: How to Make Chili. Jan 28, 2018, 20:18 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 17:46:
If you're lucky enough to have heirloom cast iron passed down in your family and it's a Griswold, awesome. If not, a well seasoned and lovingly cared for Lodge will work just as well.

Got a good chuckle out of that.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 19:28 RedEye9

Devinoch wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 18:56:
Kamprad's coffin was made out of lovely pressboard, and was assembled using an allen wrench in just a few minutes.
I wonder if they put him in a smörboll, norröra or the top-o-the-line grönkulla flärdfull.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 18:56 Devinoch

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 18:41 Pigeon

Simon F. wrote on Jan 28, 2018, 17:32:
Having lived in Nevada and Florida for some years each, I've learned through experience that batteries can sometimes suddenly and very unexpectedly fail with zero warning leading up to the failure. I would consider a battery over 3 years old as a risk, especially if you live in an area prone to 100+ deg or below zero

I'd 2nd this; I've recently experienced a battery suddenly die, then be beyond jump-starting. It's certainly a lot cheaper and faster, especially given the battery will need to be replaced anyways. Now if the battery was within a year old there might be something more at play.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 18:04 Cutter

The only thing required to be in chili to make it chili is a chili. You can put anything you want in it and it'll still be chili. And the only difference between soup and chili is consistency. Which is why you can make a chili soup, or chili from a soup if you reduce it down enough. Everything else is pretense.

Anyone else watch the series McMafia? Best show I've seen in a long while. Really enjoying it.

- Winston Churchill

5. How to Make Chili. Jan 28, 2018, 17:46 Burrito of Peace

"Calling a dish 'Texas Chili,' especially if you’re not a native of that state, is clearly asking for trouble."

Especially if you're a rube that forgets that all Texas-style chili has masa harina in it. If you're serious about it, you'll also get a chile brick from one of the chili queens in San Antonio and you'll slow cook that chili all day long in a 12" camp oven suspended from a tripod over an oak fire. If you're lucky enough to have heirloom cast iron passed down in your family and it's a Griswold, awesome. If not, a well seasoned and lovingly cared for Lodge will work just as well.

He's right in that beans are an apostasy. If you put beans in your pot, you have not succeeded in making chili but you have succeeded in making bean soup. You also don't put chicken, turkey, or any other kind of white meat in the pot. That's heresy and heresy is purged with flame. Beef or bison. Bison you'll need to find a fat source to add to the pot but it's a damn fine meat. If you're fortunate enough to have an HEB, I've never seen one that doesn't sell it from the butcher and it's always grass fed.

If you want to argue, just know up front that you are wrong, and you can sit there in your wrongness.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 17:40 RedEye9

Yeah, replacing an obviously bad "0-volt" battery is probably the first thing I would try. Saves a tow to the dealer charge and then you can just take it in for a checkup (unless something horrible happened that killed the battery in the first place. )
Even new batteries fail. I was watching a Nascar race and the Interstate Batteries car had to pit due to battery failure. DOH

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2018, 17:32 Simon F.

Having lived in Nevada and Florida for some years each, I've learned through experience that batteries can sometimes suddenly and very unexpectedly fail with zero warning leading up to the failure. I would consider a battery over 3 years old as a risk, especially if you live in an area prone to 100+ deg or below zero  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >