Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer

The Roberts Space Industries Website has relaunched, offering an enhanced homebase for Star Citizen, Cloud Imperium's upcoming crowdfunded space game. They explain the goal of the renovation is to provide visitors "a more intuitive experience and stronger branding for all three pillars of the game’s development." The latest post offers a new trailer from Squadron 42 called "Welcome to the Coil." Here's a bit on what that means: "This week, we present our latest Squadron 42 feature. Take an in-depth look at the foreboding, mysterious Coil, and the design challenges our devs had to overcome while bringing this distinctive setting to life in the game."

View : : :

Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
Jan 28, 2018, 07:02
Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 28, 2018, 07:02
Jan 28, 2018, 07:02

jdreyer wrote on Jan 27, 2018, 22:08:
All of the things you mentioned aren't working are things that exist in the PU. SQ 42 is a separate code base since it doesn't need a lot of that stuff. Just because they haven't shown it, doesn't mean it's not done. They'd be careful to either hold things back.
Actually, Squadrton 42 needs all of the things I mentioned. What it doesn't need is any of the networking technology, which is why I didn't mention that.

It's not being developed deliberately slowly. What people overlook is that due to the nature of crowdfunding CIG didn't have any established studios - there were only five employees when it went to Kickstarter. It took years to build up multiple studios around the world and to take on the hundreds of developers they now have. And due to the massive amount of funding raised it was decided to increase the scope and fidelity of the game. Core ships for Squadron 42, like the Idris, have only recently been completed due to their immense scale and we haven't had recent updates on other ships like the larger Bengal Carrier. That's without even taking into account the Vanduul ships, most of which haven't been official demonstrated. The Vanduul Kingship is over 2.5km long.

It took a long time for CIG to even produce a single vertical slice for the game and, as I said before, it was missing any real gameplay. It was great for showing off the environments and atmosphere of the game, as well as the excellent motion capture acting, but no-one can look at that and think CIG is simply holding back the rest of the game. We've yet to see any of the Vanduul—the main antagonists of the campaign—outside of Arena Commander (released three and a half years ago).

To be fair I'd rather they get it right first time than rush it out and permanently damage the reputation of the game. It's already been delayed substantially, they may as well take the time required to do it properly. Star Citizen is different because that will be constantly evolving.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
Date
Subject
Author
Jan 28, 2018Jan 28 2018
     Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
Jan 28, 2018Jan 28 2018
Jan 28, 2018Jan 28 2018