Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Gatherings & Competitions

View

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 24, 2018, 14:35 Devinoch

SimplyMonk wrote on Jan 24, 2018, 13:43:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 24, 2018, 11:27:
What? I'm not clicking it because it's clearly clickbait, but DOTA 2 has always been streamable within the game itself, and there are many youtube and twitch streamers, so... Guess I don't understand why they would lie in the headline. Nobody cares about facebook.

Not clicking either because obvious clickbait is obvious, but if the reddit drama is any indication this has to do with how the latest ESL tournament organizers made a streaming deal with Facebook and as such threatened Twitch streamers with copyright strikes for streaming the tournament series.

Players don't like being forced to use Facebook and hate it when companies attack their favorite streamers... so obviously they aren't taking this well. The tournament organizers should have full streaming rights to their tournament though so I kinda side with them on this issue. Maybe next time they will learn that spurning the largest streaming service in favor of Facebook isn't the best idea for current fans.

Fans are still more than welcome to watch the matches stream through the game itself. It's just the broadcast rights for this tournament are through Facebook only, which has had technical snafus. Not to mention the majority of people prefer watching streams through Twitch. But, again, this is how monopolies get started.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 24, 11:27 Re: Gatherings & Competitions ForgedReality
  2. Jan 24, 11:35  Re: Gatherings & Competitions eRe4s3r
  4. Jan 24, 13:43  Re: Gatherings & Competitions SimplyMonk
>> 5. Jan 24, 14:35   Re: Gatherings & Competitions Devinoch
  6. Jan 24, 14:59    Re: Gatherings & Competitions Devinoch
  7. Jan 24, 15:31     Re: Gatherings & Competitions SimplyMonk
  3. Jan 24, 13:16 Re: Gatherings & Competitions Acleacius