Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues

A French news report details (in French) troubling accusations of a toxic workplace culture at developer Quantic Dreams, accusing leaders David Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumière of inappropriate behavior, overworking staff, and fostering a culture of sexist and racist jokes. This includes the discovery of a cache of over 600 Photoshopped images of employees in compromising situations which were apparently circulated around the company at various times. You can probably imagine what these look like, but CanardPC has a bunch of them posted for the record. Eurogamer notes a tweet from Guillaume denying the allegations. Here's the English-language version of the statement:
Articles published today level various allegations against QUANTIC DREAM, its management and employees.

We categorically deny all of these allegations. QUANTIC DREAM filed a complaint several months ago and further complaints will follow.

We invite interested parties to read the responses of our Employee Representatives and Health & Security Committee to questions submitted by journalists prior to publication.

Inappropriate conduct or practices have no place at QUANTIC DREAM. We have taken and always will take such grievances seriously.

We value every single person who works at QUANTIC DREAM. It is of utmost importance to us that we maintain a safe environment that allows us to channel our shared passion for making video games.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues
Jan 16, 2018, 12:52
Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 16, 2018, 12:52
Jan 16, 2018, 12:52

jdreyer wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 02:20:
Overon wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 17:35:
Ha those pictures cannot be ignored and are not so easily explained away.

Any company with any kind of HR department or care about this issue would have put a stop to this within three of those photos being created and disseminated. That the creator was allowed to create hundreds speaks volumes about the culture at this company.

The HR department might not have seen them. At work we've got a network folder full of photoshopped (more like mspaint) inside jokes and many of them feature coworkers, but none of them are very crude, certainly not risqué or sexual in nature in any way. Also none are mean or bullying really. The pictures appear randomly as the background of an internal site used by developers to manage virtuals. Anyone can drop a picture in there and the "fun" is seeing a new one randomly pop up. I could see how things could get out of hand though... but not posting pictures with titties, dildos, naked obese people, at work seems like common sense to most.

Jan 16, 2018, 02:20
Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 16, 2018, 02:20
Jan 16, 2018, 02:20

Overon wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 17:35:

Any company with any kind of HR department or care about this issue would have put a stop to this within three of those photos being created and disseminated. That the creator was allowed to create hundreds speaks volumes about the culture at this company.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Jan 15, 2018, 19:36
Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 19:36
Jan 15, 2018, 19:36

I never did really like Quantic Dream's "games" all that much. It always felt that they were overrated, pretentious, quick-time movies. The only one I semi-liked was Omikron mostly due to David Bowie's involvement and the European, sci-fi, graphic novel setting. Even then, the gameplay stuff in it was heavily flawed and aggravating to play through.

Jan 15, 2018, 18:36
Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 18:36
Jan 15, 2018, 18:36

600 photoshopped compromising images, and we got examples, and the dude denies this? He apparently visited the Weinstein school of PR.

Heh...

Jan 15, 2018, 17:35
Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 17:35
Jan 15, 2018, 17:35

Jan 15, 2018, 16:55
Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 16:55
Jan 15, 2018, 16:55

The linked images are extremely gross...;) *gag* *choke* *Puke* Ugh.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Jan 15, 2018, 16:50
Cutter

Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 16:50
Jan 15, 2018, 16:50
 Cutter

Nut wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 14:19:
> Is there some legal reason that they have to deny reality?

Yeah it's called liability. It's the difference between being sued successfully or unsuccessfully. When you confess to a crime things generally don't go your way.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Jan 15, 2018, 16:48
Cutter

Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 16:48
Jan 15, 2018, 16:48
 Cutter

Guillaume de Fondue?
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Jan 15, 2018, 15:28
Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 15:28
Jan 15, 2018, 15:28

Considering that they're the company that supposedly made a nude model of Ellen Page without her consent, and put it in the game Beyond Two Souls (even thought it was only accessible via developer console), I can kinda believe the accusations.

As a refresher:
Ellen Paige explored legal action

Jan 15, 2018, 14:19
Nut
Re: Quantic Dream Denies Workplace Issues Jan 15, 2018, 14:19
Jan 15, 2018, 14:19
Nut

> a cache of over 600 Photoshopped images of employees in compromising situations

So, uh.

Honestly I was going to ignore this story except for this kind of interesting part.

If these photos EVEN EXIST, and WE HAVE THEM, isn't that categorically proof that an environment of photoshopping employees in compromising situations exists?

Following that, how can they categorically deny the existence of the environment in which those images were created?

Short of them saying that someone outside the company did so, which is farcical, they aren't even saying "this was an isolated individual"... which would not be categorically denying the problem but actually communicating with the public about the problem...

Is there some legal reason that they have to deny reality? This seems comical to me but kind of interesting just based on, you know, IGNORING FREELY AVAILABLE PROOF OF EXISTENCE. That little logical flaw in their denial.
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older