Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up

This announcement on Steam informs PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS players how they will be compensated for the mess-up in distributing BP following the launch of version 1.0 of the battle royale shooter. As noted on PC Gamer, the vocal response to this (well over 4000 comments as of this writing) mostly focuses on cheating, and what can be done about it. Ground zero for this attention is China, which was long ago singled out as the source of the "vast majority" of cheating in the game. The thread has become in part a concerted effort to draw attention to a Change.org petition asking that China be region locked. Thanks RedEye9.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 13, 2018, 06:07 Muscular Beaver

Heres actually an analysis of PUBG and Fortnite and comparison to other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwZ_NUruGTM

Explains why Fortnite also feels so weird.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 12:52 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 10:42:
NamecaF wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 22:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 20:54:
That they don't region lock means they allow 300+ pings to play together? How is that working? Magic rubber bands?

Yep. I take it you've never played the game.

yea, hence I am asking. Haven't played a game where anyone had 300ms ping since.. the 90ies. In BF1 average pings are in the 10s to 70s, if you spike above 100 often you get canned.

So this is a genuine question. Is it rubber banding or is it the Battlefield method (high tick-rate bubbles around players) and "prediction ghosting"

What are the tickrates? I assume if 300ms is allowed tickrates are horribly low, probably sub 10 (per second) ?
Ive heard people say 10 to 17 Hz.

16. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 11:19 Retired

There was a cool video that described the lag problem in PUBG. Basiclly said the client/server relationship gets better after about halfway through the game as the server doesn't need as much data to keep track of.

Makes sense, I can rarely kill people early on if I drop with a bunch of people, my shots don't hit and I die around corners.

My typical strategy is to land where there are just a couple or no people, loot up, then after 1st or 2nd circle only about 40 people left, and shots connect. I win a fair amount.

/they banned a swath of cheaters, they are already back. I recognize variants of names in the top 10. HS% > 70%!

15. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 10:42 eRe4s3r

NamecaF wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 22:39:
That they don't region lock means they allow 300+ pings to play together? How is that working? Magic rubber bands?

yea, hence I am asking. Haven't played a game where anyone had 300ms ping since.. the 90ies. In BF1 average pings are in the 10s to 70s, if you spike above 100 often you get canned.

So this is a genuine question. Is it rubber banding or is it the Battlefield method (high tick-rate bubbles around players) and "prediction ghosting"

What are the tickrates? I assume if 300ms is allowed tickrates are horribly low, probably sub 10 (per second) ?

14. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 07:01 Numinar

MattyC wrote on Jan 12, 2018, 04:26:

I have no idea what PUBGs netcode is like, but while 300 is certainly pushing towards unplayable it should still be 'tolerable' (if only barely).

That isn't too much worse than what lots of people used to get playing on Korean StarCraft servers. And the micro in that game really makes that matter.

I suppose it really only depends on the netcode (though if they were also getting on VPNs that certainly wasn't going to help) and I don't know enough at PUBG to say anything there.

300 is bad for an ActionQuake server circa 1998, but you could make it work! (hitscan sawn off for the win!) but in this game, where proper strategy and positioning is almost everything, it shouldn't matter.

In real life, as in this game, if you get into a situation where a half second lag makes the difference, YOU HAVE F(*& up! Bigtime! it is more Arma than counterstrike.

13. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 04:26 MattyC

I have no idea what PUBGs netcode is like, but while 300 is certainly pushing towards unplayable it should still be 'tolerable' (if only barely).

That isn't too much worse than what lots of people used to get playing on Korean StarCraft servers. And the micro in that game really makes that matter.

I suppose it really only depends on the netcode (though if they were also getting on VPNs that certainly wasn't going to help) and I don't know enough at PUBG to say anything there.

https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/

12. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 04:16 Muscular Beaver

Rhett wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 23:06:
VPNs will be banned in China next month supposedly. Not great for their country or anything, but... Yeah. PUBG is filled to the brim with a lot of toxic, racist, xenophobic people.

Chinese players have invaded every country's server, making most of the game modes highly unenjoyable (at least, third person I guess - I/my squad plays first person and we don't really see cheaters oddly enough) primarily due to the cheating. Apparently a good majority of them will TK/grief non-Chinese players that end up in their squads as well (you can queue to fill in a squad of randoms). It's pretty nuts.
Even if they block Chinese players, all in all Russian and Turkish players arent that much better in that aspect. I guess in the USA youre shielded from them quite well, but here in Europe you have to deal with them in almost every game, unless it offers servers that are located in their own country.
Even before this China-crap, I played PUBG on NA servers, because there were far too many cheaters from said countries on European servers.

11. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 04:12 Muscular Beaver

With a proper netcode people with high ping would be the only ones suffering from it. But this netcode is not "proper".

10. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 00:25 Red886

you have cheats pre-installed on cyber cafes. Each computer is used by dozen or so users per day.
So there goes any need for technical knowledge and research.

9. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 23:52 dubfanatic

The cheating in this game is like nothing I've seen since Diablo 1. Blatant, no-fucks-given cheating, in almost every game. And with only one notable exception of someone with a meme name using anti-recoil, every one had a name like "HuWeiGuoLai34623" or "qun-43487334". But according to PLAYERUNKNOWN himself I'm supposed to not believe my lying eyes and pretend that cheaters are equally distributed across the world (even though there is ample scientific literature to the contrary)  

8. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 23:14 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 22:44:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 22:18:
Also, isn't a region lock easily bypassed by a VPN or region spoofing?

Aren't VPNs banned in China?

Good point, and they're pretty strict about enforcement.

Stay a while, and listen.

7. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 23:06 Rhett

VPNs will be banned in China next month supposedly. Not great for their country or anything, but... Yeah. PUBG is filled to the brim with a lot of toxic, racist, xenophobic people.

Chinese players have invaded every country's server, making most of the game modes highly unenjoyable (at least, third person I guess - I/my squad plays first person and we don't really see cheaters oddly enough) primarily due to the cheating. Apparently a good majority of them will TK/grief non-Chinese players that end up in their squads as well (you can queue to fill in a squad of randoms). It's pretty nuts.

6. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 22:44 Cutter

Aren't VPNs banned in China?

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

5. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 22:39 NamecaF

4. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 22:35 Nighthawk

4000+ comments, but only 100 are people that aren't spamming the same comment.
I'd love to see them take the server offline and have a screen pop up on run that says "Yes we know there's a problem, stop spamming it everywhere."
Spamming doesn't make people want to help you...

3. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 22:30 necrosis

Yes but just because one thing is not a 100% fix does not mean you should not do it.

2. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 22:18 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

1. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 11, 2018, 20:54 eRe4s3r

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo