Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA BFGD Revealed

NVIDIA announces the BFGD (Big Format Gaming Display), a gaming monitor planned for release this summer that boasts a mind-boggling 65" screen size and built-in Shield streaming. They promise a "buttery-smooth gaming experience and your favorite media streaming applications — all on a giant screen." This boasts a 120Hz refresh rate and support for the latest G-SYNC HDR technology. Some details are still not revealed, such as the type of panel this will use, and what sort of pricing to expect. Here's what they are saying for now:

At BFGD’s Heart: G-SYNC HDR
At the heart of BFGDs is the latest G-SYNC HDR technology that synchronizes the display’s 120Hz refresh rate to that of the game at every moment in time. This G-SYNC Variable Refresh Rate technology delivers a highly responsive, smooth, tear-free, immersive gaming experience unmatched by any display of this size.

Additionally, the 4K HDR display features a full-array direct backlight, 1,000-nit peak luminance and DCI-P3 color gamut for the ultimate in visual quality.

Ultra-Low Latency Gaming
Nothing is more important to gamers than responsive gameplay. G-SYNC technology brings the ultra-low latency found in G-SYNC desktop gaming monitors to the BFGD when gaming directly on the PC, Android™, another console or using NVIDIA GameStream™ technology from a desktop or laptop gaming PC.

Big Screen Streaming
The integration of the Android TV™-based SHIELD into BFGDs allows gamers to easily switch between gaming and other forms of entertainment. The bundled SHIELD remote and game controller allow for easy navigation and access to all of the world’s biggest streaming apps, including Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube™ and Hulu.

With support for the Google Assistant, the entire experience can be controlled simply by using your voice. G-SYNC HDR technology also supports video playback at native framerates, including popular 23.976, 24 and 25 FPS formats. This matches the screen’s refresh rate to the video source’s actual frame rate, eliminating interpolation and presenting the video content as it was intended to be viewed by the director.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 10, 2018, 12:04 Verno

Yeah I do this as well. My house has Cat6 drops in every room and I have a Steam Link connected to my TV via the internal gigabit network. Performance and latency is pretty much flawless. There's still some games I prefer to play in the chair though, doesn't hurt that I have an Aeron at home  
Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 10, 2018, 11:48 chickenboo

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 05:02:
RaZ0r! wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 19:16:
What's the deal with this push to get PC gaming into the living room? Seems like it's been going on for decades, and hasn't worked yet. Who benefits if we all start PC gaming on the couch? Not sure I get it.

Older PC gamers like us that have kids now and hate the vertical gardens of the console world.

My desk chair is uncomfortable and the couch is super comfy. The Steam controller allows me to play any game in my library flawlessly (or near-flawlessly). Why wouldn't I play on the big TV?

33. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 15:27 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 05:01:
$8K strikes me as a bit high, but $3K I could see easily. Maybe even $4K.

I think he was kidding but yeah I agree, I can easily see 3k considering it includes both gsync and a Shield Tegra SoC. About the only thing that would keep the price down is the fact that they didn't go with an OLED panel.

Nvidia needs to sort out their frame cadence and HDR color profile issues with the Shield but they've been very good about updating it so hopefully those get resolved soon.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

32. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 13:18 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 05:01:
Redmask wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 17:38:
Acer and HP will also be making these in addition to Asus and Nvidia itself. I expect prices to be $8k USD.

Responding to that post, Are you High?
70" 4k tv's are readily available from 1200 to 3500, so isn't it obvious that 8k would be the asking price for a decked out 65'er.

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

31. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 05:02 jdreyer

What's the deal with this push to get PC gaming into the living room? Seems like it's been going on for decades, and hasn't worked yet. Who benefits if we all start PC gaming on the couch? Not sure I get it.

Older PC gamers like us that have kids now and hate the vertical gardens of the console world.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

30. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 05:01 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 17:38:
Acer and HP will also be making these in addition to Asus and Nvidia itself. I expect prices to be $8k USD.

29. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 9, 2018, 05:00 jdreyer

Luke wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 17:01:
Sure lets get a 65" for all those fantastic games out there....gezz

Don't knock it, man. FTL on 65" and 4K looks FANTASTIC.

28. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 23:03 sauron

I was resistant to this as well until I tried it over a Steam Link onto my HDTV. After that, I was totally sold. Playing on the TV (these days from a gaming rig attached directly via HDMI) makes the whole thing really fun, relaxed and family friendly (depending on the game of course).

Now I can teach my daughters the wonders of PC RPGs on the big screen. And they really dig it. So fun.

Kittens!

27. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 21:23 Redmask

The G-Sync FPGA is not even $90 in cost both for the module and licensing. G-Sync commands a price premium because Freesync was fucking trash for a long time and only reached feature parity last year, manufacturers charged what they knew they could get. Many of the Freesync offerings to this day still have terrible effective ranges.

Nvidia is just riding it out until 2019 when HDMI 2.1 appears in everything. They can adapt the VESA implementation for DisplayPort whenever they want, there is no rush and I guarantee the dev work for that is done already. They probably want to see what happens with HDMI 2.1 adoption.

26. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 19:54 CJ_Parker

Dude. The G-Sync module adds maybe $150 (max) to the price. With this display that is sure to cost anywhere between $5K and $10K it really doesn't fucking matter.  

25. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 19:35 bhcompy

I see they're still fucking that G-Sync chicken. Costs wayyy to much for a G-Sync monitor compared to Freesync, and Freesync monitors are much more ubiquitous  

24. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 19:19 Alamar

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 16:00:
I dunno. I game on a 55" 4K TV (https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/XBR-X930E-X940E-Series)and it's fucking amazing. Luckily, my desk is pretty deep though so I sit maybe 4-5 feet away. Took a bit of getting used to after upgrading from my 24" CRT made in like 2004 (FW-900). But now, I can't see going back to smaller monitors.

I just got the XBR-X900E a few weeks back, and am also loving it ; )

My office is a couch, with wireless bits, this TV and another 50" for my dual monitor needs ; )

Also just got a Rift, and an adapter, so all three are hooked up, and it's glorious ; )

23. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 19:16 RaZ0r!

22. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 17:38 Redmask

21. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 17:01 Luke

Sure lets get a 65" for all those fantastic games out there....gezz  

20. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 16:17 Ozmodan

Well unless you game from your couch (and I have done that) this is rather useless. Personally much prefer gaming from the desktop and I currently have a 40" uhd screen which is way too big. Even with a 40" I have a hard time discerning the difference between 1080p and 1440p at this distance. It really depends on the game.

So I agree with others, the 30-40" range is much preferable. Anyways just looking at this display, it is way beyond what many of us would spend on a monitor.

19. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 16:00 ForgedReality

I dunno. I game on a 55" 4K TV (https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/XBR-X930E-X940E-Series)and it's fucking amazing. Luckily, my desk is pretty deep though so I sit maybe 4-5 feet away. Took a bit of getting used to after upgrading from my 24" CRT made in like 2004 (FW-900). But now, I can't see going back to smaller monitors.

It really pulls you into the game at this scale, and, really, the sweet spot with 4k is around 40-50" anyway, so I never understood the tiny-ass 27" models out nowadays. Seems a waste of time and money. Way too fucking small.

I'd go for a 40-55" version of this at the right price and without sacrificing visual fidelity. I find that hard to see happening though, since doubling the throughput without reducing the bandwidth would be pretty difficult-to-impossible to pull off. I'm hoping nVidia isn't discounting the image quality just because they're "gaming" monitors, and nearly all of them out now have shit image quality when compared to professional displays or TVs. I still want crisp text and accurate colors. I'd take that over high framerates because I don't ONLY game on my PC.

18. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 15:56 sauron

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:36:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:13:
Big Fucking Gaming Display.

I don't imagine too many people have a PC setup where a 65 inch screen is all that useful...

That where you're wrong friend, I play on my 70" TV and have been waiting for something like this.

There are always exceptions.

Actually, one of my gaming rigs is hooked up to a Samsung 55 inch 4k TV and soundbar, with wireless keyboard/mouse and a wireless PS4 controller. The TV was on sale on Black Friday 2016 and I got it for a great price.

That kind of setup might be more common than you think - with the advent of HDMI and affordable sound systems they're really easy to put together. Basically the same as hooking up a PS4 or Switch.

Kittens!

17. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 15:32 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:34:
I think Nvidia may be drastically overestimating their potential clientele here. It's not as if this is aimed at the console market either, this is purely a dedicated PC monitor.

It's definitely a niche product, of course, but I'm sure that nVidia has a clear idea about their clientele. This display is for gaming in the living room with the built-in Shield stuff (in-home streaming and ShieldTV) and also for gaming in combination with their own cloud streaming technology (GeForce Now) and finally even w/o G-Sync support this display will almost certainly become the no. 1 top choice for quality, latency-free console gaming (for those who can afford it).
I could also imagine that they have unannounced stuff in the pipeline like new Tegra-based gaming platforms from Nintendo (Switch 2 with Volta/Ampere tech inside?).

This display is going to be niche and expensive as fuck with an avantgarde premium at first but it will get nVidia a lot of PR just like the Titan cards. It will bolster their rep as a technology leader and if all goes well sell to a few dozen thousand rich people.
Looking at the number of comments around the web (including here) they have already accomplished their goal of getting people to talk about nVidia products.

16. Re: NVIDIA BFGD Revealed Jan 8, 2018, 15:15 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 14:34:
I use a 32 inch TV myself, and I can't even imagine going bigger than that. For the typical PC - Desk setup, 65 inch is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too large, so that massively limits your initial market to people who PC on their couch or something.

I have to agree, I would like to see this in a smaller form factor. 32" would actually be pretty nice. My guess is that's its a scalability issue - for example, the G-Sync hardware costs mostly the same regardless of screen size, and larger HDR panels are most cost-effective - plus I think they're targeting a specific niche so production can be streamlined. If they made an entire lineup of these they would have to sell really well to be worthwhile. If you look at their SHIELD Tablet and TVs you'll see they like to keep it simple and maintain the same basic SKUs over the years. My guess is they did research and found the margins acceptable at 65" as a more Razer-like product.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo