Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday Frans! In case you are not aware, Frans almost single-handedly keeps this site online, tending to all the emergencies in the engine room from server patches to code fixes to typographical errors. He does all this with ruthless efficiency and good cheer, and never exceeds his department's budget of zero, and there's no way you'd be reading these words right now were it not for him. Please join me in thanking him and offering some birthday wishes.

Birthday Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Bike Rider 2: Armageddon.
Monster Truck Soccer.
Links: 10 Things Everyone Hates About You. Thanks Devicer.
Stories: Scott Open To Do Another "Blade Runner."
Police issue 'arrest warrant' for Queen Elsa of 'Frozen.' Let it go.
Air gun eye injuries rise 169% among kids, study finds. Poor Ralphie.
Science: New street light runs on dog waste.
Media: Red Sparrow - Official Trailer.
This pizza-loving robot chef is being taught the craft by one of the masters.
A Burst of Deep Sea Fireworks: Halitrephes Jelly.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2018, 17:30 Ant

Hoop wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:43:
Thanks Frans.
You share your birthday with a good friend of mine, Stephen Hawking.
I asked him a favour as he's always bugging me about black holes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ4dIWkBeng
And my college friend's wife!

Belated happy birthday to them!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 13:10 BobBob

Happy Birthday Frans!  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 12:23 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 08:22:
We don't need no stinkin' "like" system! Evil

I would "like" this if I could.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 08:22 Mr. Tact

We don't need no stinkin' "like" system! Evil  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 05:11 jdreyer

Frans wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 04:24:
Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Dr donkles wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:24:
Nice to have an oldschool tech still working on things the entire time.
Blue and you are too optimistic, the only way I can afford to do all this at zero budget is by, uhh, doing not much at all.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 15:02:
Remember a few years ago how Blues would just randomly go down a couple times a week? The site has been super solid every since then.
Exactly, the current hardware and OS are so stable that my arms rarely need to be uncrossed anymore.

Of course, if a much more significant effort will be needed in the future again, I'm going to have to re-negotiate by which factor to multiply my current budget.

If you could implement a "like" system, I could like this comment.

26. Re: Air gun eye injuries rise Jan 9, 2018, 05:09 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 18:13:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:03:
He removed his goggles for just a moment, to wipe away the colorful paint splattered across them, and then his life changed forever.

Well, that'll learn ya, won't it? You don't wear the goggles just to keep paint out of your eyes because it stings a little, you wear them AT ALL TIMES to prevent your eyeball exploding when it's hit by a screaming projectile at hundreds of feet per second... Ol' one-eye knows that now. 12 years old seems a bit young to be playing whole-hog paintball in the first place, too, especially considering the clear absence of a respect for safety.

It's even worse considering paintball markers for kids exist, and they have regulated speed and forces that don't injure anything even if (as kids stupidly do) someone removes the helmet. The owner of that field should have gone to jail. In my area GoG ENMEy Paintball markers are 18+ only. No child would ever even be let near them. In fact mixed age groups aren't allowed. Adults can of course join in with the kid markers, but not with the pro markers.

Hmm, that sounds suspiciously like "regulation." Unlike you commies, we don't have that here in freedom-loving US of A. We just let the free market guide itself to the optimal solution. Ya gotta break a few eyeballs eggs to make an omelet, amirite?

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 04:24  Frans 

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Nice to have an oldschool tech still working on things the entire time.
Blue and you are too optimistic, the only way I can afford to do all this at zero budget is by, uhh, doing not much at all.

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 15:02:
Remember a few years ago how Blues would just randomly go down a couple times a week? The site has been super solid every since then.
Exactly, the current hardware and OS are so stable that my arms rarely need to be uncrossed anymore.

Of course, if a much more significant effort will be needed in the future again, I'm going to have to re-negotiate by which factor to multiply my current budget.

-- Frans

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2018, 00:41 Simon Says

You're a pearl Frans!  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 23:49 PhysicalEd

Happy Birthday, and Thanks Frans!  

22. Re: Air gun eye injuries rise Jan 8, 2018, 18:13 eRe4s3r

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 13:03:
He removed his goggles for just a moment, to wipe away the colorful paint splattered across them, and then his life changed forever.

Well, that'll learn ya, won't it? You don't wear the goggles just to keep paint out of your eyes because it stings a little, you wear them AT ALL TIMES to prevent your eyeball exploding when it's hit by a screaming projectile at hundreds of feet per second... Ol' one-eye knows that now. 12 years old seems a bit young to be playing whole-hog paintball in the first place, too, especially considering the clear absence of a respect for safety.

It's even worse considering paintball markers for kids exist, and they have regulated speed and forces that don't injure anything even if (as kids stupidly do) someone removes the helmet. The owner of that field should have gone to jail. In my area GoG ENMEy Paintball markers are 18+ only. No child would ever even be let near them. In fact mixed age groups aren't allowed. Adults can of course join in with the kid markers, but not with the pro markers.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 17:25 NewMaxx

"tending to all the emergencies in the engine room"

wink wink nudge nudge

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 16:45 sauron

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 16:22:
sauron wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 16:08:
Happy Birthday Frans!

On another note - the orcs and I finished Zelda:BotW yesterday. The Big Bad Evil Guy in the game met the real thing, and got his ass righteously kicked.

Breath of the Wild might actually be the best game I've ever played. Highly recommended by yours truly and the usual suspects.

That you said at least as good as TW3 is insane to me. Not like "you're crazy" insane, but "someone matched that?" insane.

A Switch isn't high on my list, but I'm guessing I end up with one on Black Friday this year.

Yeah, they're different games, but they both have the ability to suck the player right into the game world. I think Morrowind did that as well for me, and a few others (maybe Skyrim), although everyone has their own favorites.

Anyhow, if you do pick up a Switch, pretty sure you won't regret it.

Kittens!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 16:22 Beamer

sauron wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 16:08:
Happy Birthday Frans!

On another note - the orcs and I finished Zelda:BotW yesterday. The Big Bad Evil Guy in the game met the real thing, and got his ass righteously kicked.

Breath of the Wild might actually be the best game I've ever played. Highly recommended by yours truly and the usual suspects.

That you said at least as good as TW3 is insane to me. Not like "you're crazy" insane, but "someone matched that?" insane.

A Switch isn't high on my list, but I'm guessing I end up with one on Black Friday this year.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 16:20 sauron

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 15:22:
New street light runs on dog waste.

The tricky part is training the dogs to crap in the Mr. Fusion receptacle.

This made me lol, btw. Well played.

Kittens!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 16:08 sauron

Happy Birthday Frans!

Kittens!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 15:51 SlimRam

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:19:
"The Walt Disney Company is the parent company of this station."

What.. the actual.. fuck? A private corporation running a police department?
Hehehe! The typical phrase most yelled by a cop that got fired from this station as they were leaving:

"FUCK THIS MICKEY MOUSE OPERATION!"

p.s. HAPPY BDAY FRANS!

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2018, 16:02.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 15:22 jdreyer

New street light runs on dog waste.

The tricky part is training the dogs to crap in the Mr. Fusion receptacle.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 15:10 jdreyer

Scott Open To Do Another "Blade Runner."

Sorry man. 2049 didn't make enough money. Or as someone put it:

"You made a sequel 30 years later to an intellectual sci fi film noir that didn't make any money, and you're wondering why your movie didn't make any money?" Granted, that's a bit reductive given the original's eventual recognition as one of the greatest sci fi films ever made, but as we're seeing with TLJ, critical acclaim doesn't always satisfy audiences.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 15:02 jdreyer

Frans is the mans. Nice to have an oldschool tech still working on things the entire time.

Remember a few years ago how Blues would just randomly go down a couple times a week? The site has been super solid every since then. Frans is worth his weight in gold.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 14:55 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:19:
"The Walt Disney Company is the parent company of this station."

What.. the actual.. fuck? A private corporation running a police department?

It's just the next step in our evolution to full corporatocracy. You might get a sense of how this will work out by watching Continuum.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo