Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The Gunnar-man and I are temporarily without our walking partner, as the recent cold-snap has been too much for Jedi for our friends' dog to come with us. Apparently our local subzero temperatures (Fahrenheit, counting wind chill) are just a little more than the Korean winters a Jindo is bred to endure. We went out yesterday with Jedi wearing his (human) brother's sweater, which was very cute, but not enough to stop his uncontrollable shivering, so we brought him back home. This is in such stark contrast to Gunnar it has to make me laugh. He just runs around in this weather looking for snow to eat, and you get no sense from him that he notices the cold at all. Poodles may seem a little frou-frou, but he's a tough little dog in his own way.

R.I.P.: Actor Jerry Van Dyke dies at 86.
R.I.P.: Gemini, Apollo, and Space Shuttle astronaut John Young has died.
R.I.P.: Ray Thomas, Moody Blues Flautist and Founder, Dead at 76.

Frou-Frou Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: City Car Driving Simulator.
Stories: 487 Scripted U.S. TV Series In 2017.
Sydney swelters on hottest day since 1939 as mercury hits 47.3C.
Science: How 'wi-fi' connects human brains and explains why people have 'gut feelings.'
Media: Engineer Mark Rober exposes cheating arcade machine.
World's Best Jump Roper - Hawaii Style in 8K.
Sand Master - why you want the right tool for the job.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 15:38 BobBob

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 07:37:
1badmf wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 03:01:
BobBob wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 00:31:
Walking the dog today, and I encountered two assholes flying their remote control planes on our ocean cliffs and trying to hit a pelican! What the fuck is wrong with people!?!?? Called our PD and in a couple of minutes they responded.

What kind of deranged, sick, disgusting, idiotic, morons would want to hit a pelican? Angry

I'm so ashamed to be a member of the human race.

maybe i'm just being a grumpy old codger but i swear the amount of dumbass kids are on the rise. millennials with their gotta-have-it-now look-at-me culture, they're practically raised to be sociopaths.

Considering he never said how old they were, and that every generation has done awful things to animals (and still does), yes, you sound like a grumpy old codger. The same type that was probably furious when people called Generation X a bunch of stoner slackers who would never amount to anything and had everything handed to them.

I'm guessing late 20s to early 30s. I was walking my dog. If I were alone I'd probably confront them, though if I did that they'd get off the hook because we'd argue / fight and they wouldn't get in trouble. Calling the police was the best solution, I think.

Anyhow ... it's going to take me a few days to get over this. For some reason when I witness nature or (attempted) animal abuse, something in my brain won't let it go.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 14:36 Bodolza

Pigeon wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 14:32:
Not that I'm surprised an arcade game is rigged, but I wonder that rigging would make it run afoul of gambling regulations (depending on local laws).

I have a feeling this guy just unknowingly kicked off a shitstorm. I can imagine local news agencies across the country are going to pick this up. I'll bet most parents weren't aware that these games were essentially gambling for children.

19. Jump Rope girl Jan 8, 2018, 14:31 Creston

I can't even follow half the movements she does. That's incredible.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 10:00 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 08:20:
maybe i'm just being a grumpy old codger but i swear the amount of dumbass kids are on the rise. millennials with their gotta-have-it-now look-at-me culture, they're practically raised to be sociopaths.

While I am tempted to agree with you, the odds are the percentage of dumbass kids has been unchanged in the last million years or so. As I have stated on this board multiple times, since at least as long as language has existed, every generation has thought the following generations were going to destroy the world.

Yeah but we've been able to actually quantify that for a while now. Technology is changing them and not for the better.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 08:20 Mr. Tact

While I am tempted to agree with you, the odds are the percentage of dumbass kids has been unchanged in the last million years or so. As I have stated on this board multiple times, since at least as long as language has existed, every generation has thought the following generations were going to destroy the world.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 07:37 Beamer

Walking the dog today, and I encountered two assholes flying their remote control planes on our ocean cliffs and trying to hit a pelican! What the fuck is wrong with people!?!?? Called our PD and in a couple of minutes they responded.

What kind of deranged, sick, disgusting, idiotic, morons would want to hit a pelican? Angry

Considering he never said how old they were, and that every generation has done awful things to animals (and still does), yes, you sound like a grumpy old codger. The same type that was probably furious when people called Generation X a bunch of stoner slackers who would never amount to anything and had everything handed to them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 03:01 1badmf

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2018, 00:31 BobBob

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

13. Re: World's Best Jump Roper - Hawaii Style in 8K. Jan 7, 2018, 22:00 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 19:45:
Wait -- she has been jumping rope since she was 10, 12 years ago but she has won 14 World Championships? I guess there might be doubles too...

Didn't even notice the link to that vid until you mentioned. Holy shit she's crazy good. It's like if Bruce Lee had been born a little girl in Brazil and grew up studying jump rope instead of martial arts. Her cardio fitness level must be off the charts.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 19:54 Mr. Tact

Finding out that arcade machine is a scam, causes me absolutely no surprise.  

11. Re: World's Best Jump Roper - Hawaii Style in 8K. Jan 7, 2018, 19:45 Mr. Tact

Wait -- she has been jumping rope since she was 10, 12 years ago but she has won 14 World Championships? I guess there might be doubles too...  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 19:06 SM0k3

Pepe wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 16:14:
Also like to add that French singer France gall passed away today Sad

wow smh 2018 already off to a bad start

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 17:36 Cutter

Pepe wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 16:14:

Quel dommage. I've always liked French Ye Ye pop.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 17:31 Cutter

I like that guy's engineering videos. I like how he keeps his workshop nice and organized as well. I'm so OCD about that sort of thing. Whenever I see vids with people with chaotic workshops it drives me insane. Maybe my ancestors are actually German. I especially liked his vid showing what a scam carnival games are. And love how he brought his friend who pitches for the Mets to clean up on the baseball games.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 17:06 Neutronbeam

Jeffrey the Destroyer, our mini-poodle, is the same. Shrugs off the cold completely and dives into snow snout first over and over again to smell stuff.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 16:14 Pepe

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 15:45 Retired

Engineer Mark Rober exposes cheating arcade machine.

Per several discussions on crates in games, wouldn't this finding make these games illegal for minors to play?

Sand Master - why you want the right tool for the job.

Cool, but how long does it take to prep the skid?

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2018, 17:53.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 14:47 Creston

Darth Paaaaaaaawwwwww.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 14:44  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 14:06:
Don't show the dog that he has a 5 star cold rating http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/jindo#/slide/1 vs http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/poodle#/slide/1
Hehe

That is funny. Though it fits how they are both somewhat oddball examples of their breeds. Jedi is pretty all-around small, and doesn't have as full a coat as many of those pictures. And Gunnar is a few inches short for a Poodle, but weighs as much as one of normal height, so he's a bit of a stocky bruiser... for a Poodle that is.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 14:32 Pigeon

Not that I'm surprised an arcade game is rigged, but I wonder that rigging would make it run afoul of gambling regulations (depending on local laws). The rigging changes it from a game of skill to a game of chance; I doubt a lot of places would be okay with a ticket dispensing slot machine in an arcade. Frankly a slot machine is more honest as it is presented as a game of chance.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo