Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March

Cloud Imperium Games offers a new roadmap (starmap?) for the near future for Star Citizen, their crowdfunded space game, looking back at the recent launch of Alpha 3.0, and ahead to Alpha 3.1. They say they are moving to a "delivery schedule based on dates rather than features," and that we should expect Alpha 3.1 in "late March," and that new versions are now expected quarterly. They say: "Stay tuned as the new Star Citizen Production Roadmap will come online along with the new RSI website later this month, with more development and release details." That comes from this new Production Update, which has more details:

Our first release will pull together all the great work that was completed last year with a focus on optimizing the server and client. We also intend to include one or two new features which will enhance gameplay around Crusader.

3.1 is about enhancing performance and polishing the gameplay systems and UI, including ships, system traversal, a large balance pass of our economy, and improving AI for spaceflight and combat. All the great data and feedback from the community over the holiday period is really going to help us with these tasks.

Although 3.1 is our focus for late March, several teams will also be working on our long-term goals for this year, in which we plan to deliver the vast majority of systems and mechanics so players have a variety of options to lose themselves in the ‘Verse.

For our end-of-June release, we plan to implement the initial tier 0 versions of mining, salvaging, mobile refueling, and repair into the game, as well as give the player the ability to create their own missions like hiring mercs, transport, or refueling missions. On the AI side, we plan to improve both ship and FPS AI for both missions as well as general activity on space and planetary bases.

Our next delivery in late September will introduce another major long-term tech goal: Object Container Streaming. This technology will allow us to start expanding the Stanton system with additional destinations, while managing our memory usage much better. In this delivery, we would also like to start introducing the mechanics of how you stake and file land claims and the gameplay that comes with this feature. This release will also continue to consolidate and polish all the new features in the past milestone.

That will leave our final build of the year in late December. Now that our streaming tech has been tested and can support the huge amount of new data content introduced, we will continue to expand the Stanton System, allowing players to explore, fulfill their career choices, and do many different types of missions, either with friends or on their own.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 13, 2018, 14:06 theyarecomingforyou

Kosumo wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 14:31:
We're going to be adding content dynamically to the universe. I'm not interested in having yearly updates. We'll have a team of people that are adding content on a weekly, every two weeks basis. So you start in this system and start in this game, and it's got fifty star systems for instance... Two weeks in and a jump point is discovered for another system and someone navigates it, and bam we've got a 51st system... and so on.
- Chris Roberts

Scummy inept liar.
That's post release, not during alpha. And the content could be anything from a new mission or outpost to a new star system - the quote shouldn't be interpretted as CIG adding a new star system every two weeks.

CIG has only just implemented the delta patcher to allow for iterative updates. Clothing and procedurally generated outposts could easily be added weekly or fornightly in micro-patches already.

It's way too early to claim that CIG has failed to live up to a promise that was intended to indicate the level of support post-release. Go back and watch the original Kickstarter pitch video and look at what we have now - one cannot accuse CIG of underdelivering.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280G
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 9, 2018, 14:31 Kosumo

We're going to be adding content dynamically to the universe. I'm not interested in having yearly updates. We'll have a team of people that are adding content on a weekly, every two weeks basis. So you start in this system and start in this game, and it's got fifty star systems for instance... Two weeks in and a jump point is discovered for another system and someone navigates it, and bam we've got a 51st system... and so on.
- Chris Roberts

Scummy inept liar.

45. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 11:42 Kxmode

VaranDragon wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 05:00:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 15:47:
That will leave our final build of the year in late December.

Perhaps they never heard of the story of the Boy who cried wolf?

And the moral of the story? To quote one of my favorite Star Trek characters, never tell the same lie more than once!

Another memorable Star Trek quote:
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."

Truly, relevant.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

44. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 09:33 Burrito of Peace

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 13:47:
Granted I don't have the fastest machine on the planet, but it runs everything else fine. Star Citizen is a slide show, however. Might be a mem issue, as the hard drive light is constantly loading despite the game being loaded from SSD.

I think it is without a doubt a lack of optimization issue. I have 32GB and while it is not quite a slideshow, it's pretty sluggish. Granted, I hadn't played SC since 3.0 went live, but the last time I played I didn't have the same experience.

43. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 08:45 nomoreshite

NicklePop wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:57:
If you don't like this game you're insane

Are you related to Trump by any chance?

you sound a bit like him.

42. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 08:24 Nailbender

Kxmode wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 03:13:
TheVocalMinority wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 00:30:

LOL I think you have all misunderstood post 25.

Man I love these Star Citizen discussions.

I understood 25 perfectly. It's a sarcastic take on post 22. I'm merely adding to post 25. NicklePop sounds like a villain.

Thanks so much guys, for letting me know at least *some* people here got my comment right.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2018, 17:36.

41. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 07:43 El Pit

Don't question, just believe, children! Drink this and you will wake up as angels in a better world!

KoolAid now being sold for millions per month - enjoy!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

40. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 07:42 eRe4s3r

So they plan another 6 months before the basic gameplay systems are even integrated, the very basic requirement to even start a proper alpha test? And before all of that SQ42 can not be finished ???  

39. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 05:00 VaranDragon

Kxmode wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 15:47:
That will leave our final build of the year in late December.

Perhaps they never heard of the story of the Boy who cried wolf?

And the moral of the story? To quote one of my favorite Star Trek characters, never tell the same lie more than once!

38. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 04:33 theyarecomingforyou

It's a pretty disappointing schedule, to be honest. We'll probably see 3.1 arrive as scheduled because it's just a polish pass for 3.0, which was rushed to Live. As for the June release, that will likely get pushed back due to the addition of multiple gameplay mechanics and AI has always been a difficult area for CIG.

The September release is the big one, as any delays to the Object Container Streaming will basically mean no new content. That's something that could easily end up being pushed back until 2019.

The release of 3.0 and the delta patcher was supposed to signal the release of more frequent content updates. Sure we'll get more releases than 2017 but that's not saying much. I really hope this is a realistic schedule and that CIG has learned lessons from previous unrealistic schedules because if not then it's going to be another content drought.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280G

37. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 03:13 Kxmode

TheVocalMinority wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 00:30:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 21:58:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:47:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:43:
Good plan, when in doubt use caps! *ugh* Go play SC and leave us alone.

Isn't it the villain who yells, "They'll see. I'll make them all pay!"?

You forgot 'while he's petting a white Himalayan cat'.

I understood 25 perfectly. It's a sarcastic take on post 22. I'm merely adding to post 25. NicklePop sounds like a villain.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

36. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 00:44 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:07:
duplicate

Your duplicate has been duplicated.

Also, I needed a test comment to log back into Blues.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

35. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 7, 2018, 00:30 TheVocalMinority

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 21:58:

VM

34. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Jan 6, 2018, 22:14 Mr. Tact

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 22:08:
April 2017: $ 2,600,000
May 2017: $ 2,700,000
June 2017: $ 2,300,000
July 2017: $ 2,375,000
August 2017: $ 2,700,000
September 2017: $ 1,700,000
October 2017: $ 3,250,000
November 2017: $6,000,000
December 2017: $6,000,000
Bernie Madoff would be proud.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 6, 2018, 22:08 mellis

sir wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:24:
In a crowd funded galaxy, not too far away...

Roberts: Lord Vader. This is an unexpected pleasure. We are honored by your presence.
Darth Vader: You may dispense with the pleasantries, Wing Commander. I am here to put you back on schedule.
Roberts: I assure you, Lord Vader, my men are working as fast they can.
Vader: Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.
Roberts: I tell you that this Star Citizen will be operational as planned.
Vader: The Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation.
Roberts: But he asks the impossible. I need more Space Hookers.
Vader: Then perhaps you can tell him when he arrives.
Roberts: [alarmed] The Emperor's coming here?
Vader: That is correct, Wing Commander, and he is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress.
Roberts: We shall double our efforts. And our pay.
Vader: I hope so, Wing Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as gullible as I am.

Even with the paraphrasing, the dialog is an excerpt of why the original Star Wars were so fantastic and all the new ones (including EP I, II, III), shite.

32. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Jan 6, 2018, 22:08 {PH}88fingers

April 2017: $ 2,600,000
May 2017: $ 2,700,000
June 2017: $ 2,300,000
July 2017: $ 2,375,000
August 2017: $ 2,700,000
September 2017: $ 1,700,000
October 2017: $ 3,250,000
November 2017: $6,000,000
December 2017: $6,000,000

31. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 6, 2018, 21:58 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

30. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 6, 2018, 20:50 Cutter

NicklePop wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:57:
If you don't like this game you're insane

What game would that be? I have seen or heard of any such game being delivered? Did I miss that announcement that it's finished and complete?

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

29. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 6, 2018, 18:57 Mr. Tact

[SC]TherMight wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:52:
Currently 5 years late. I wonder if they can beat. Duke nukem forever at 10+ years ib dev
*meh* While this is a bell I've rung before at some level they've done better than DN by releasing something in under 10 years. But yeah, overall they seem to be in the same ballpark.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.1 in March Jan 6, 2018, 18:52 [SC]TherMight

Currently 5 years late. I wonder if they can beat. Duke nukem forever at 10+ years ib dev  

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo