Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was just struck me (out of the blue) that today is Epiphany! This brings an end to the Christmas season, being that 12th day of Christmas everyone sings so much about. So for the record, here's help with your final 12 days of Christmas inventory: You should now be in possession of 12 drummers drumming, 22 pipers piping, 30 lords-a-leaping, 36 ladies dancing, 40 maids-a-milking, 42 swans-a-swimming, 42 geese-a-laying, 40 golden rings, 36 calling birds, 30 French hens, 22 turtle doves, and a 12 partridges in a dozen pear trees. Hopefully your true love also brought you some newspaper to line the floor.

Truly Lovely Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Gods of Arena 2.
Link: Gwyneth Paltrow wants you to squirt coffee up your asshole using this $135 glass jar. To clear out the smoke she just blew up there?
Stories: A passenger covered a bathroom in feces. It was so bad that the United plane had to land.
Someone stole a piece of China’s new solar panel-paved road less than a week after it opened. Solar freakin' roadways!
Media: Battlefield 1: War Stories.
Takeout creates a lot of trash. It doesn't have to.
Bow to your robot masters.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 11:39 Kxmode

Blue, are you okay?
So, Blue, are you okay? Are you okay, Blue?
Blue, are you okay?
Blue, are you okay?
Blue, are you okay?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 02:42 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 18:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 12:41:
She's only ripping off stupid people
While at some level I agree with this sentiment, it is still a mystery to me why she does it. I assume she doesn't need the money. So, is she a sociopath? Or maybe she is secretly a con artist who gets a high of ripping people off? It is just weird.

Well, it was probably the fact that roles dried up and wanting to leverage her dwindling name recognition into something lucrative. She went from starring roles in the 90s (Emma, Sliding Doors, Perfect Murder) to side characters like Iron Man's GF. Hollywood is harsh on women once they're over 30, and once they hit 40, fuggedaboudit (with a few exceptions). Stars like Cruise, Smith, Pratt, Evans, Hemsworth, etc. are almost always paired with actresses 10-20 years younger. Where's Meg Ryan? Halle Berry? Kim Basinger? Geena Davis? Demi Moore? She probably figured each role would be her last, and what was she gonna do?

I agree with Cutter that it's probably half grift, half belief in this shit she peddles.

EDIT: Ninja'd by SMA.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 01:25 Pigeon

1badmf wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 19:47:
sauron wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:48:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 14:07:
Anyone have recommendations for sub-$100 gaming headphones? Thinking about replacing my Razer Kraken 7.1's; the mic button doesn't work anymore, the material that covers the padding has deteriorated, and the software/drivers like to randomly break.

Noise cancellation isn't a big deal, and my onboard sound is decent (Realtek ALC1150), so 3.5mm connectors are viable.

I've been looking at the Steelseries Arctis 5/3s. Along with being great for gaming they're supposedly pretty good with music as well (once you adjust the EQ). One thing I'm curious about though is if you're connecting through 3.5mm is it still using the headset's sound-card? From what I understand, through a convoluted process, you can still configure the headphones if you're using the 3.5mm jack. This makes me think it's still using the headphones' sound card.

Anyways other recommendations are welcome. My current headphones more or less work fine, I'm just annoyed with them for the above stated reasons.

My GF got me a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones for Xmas, on sale at $175. They're not gaming cans per se, but boy are they good.

i must confess, i'd be interested to know what sauron is attracted to XD.

back on topic, he asked for sub-$100. i have a steel series set that i'm pretty happy with, though admittedly i'm no audiophile. can i ask why you want to use headphone jacks instead of USB? jacks are prone to every imaginable EM interference being an electrical signal. USB, being a digital signal, is not.

Well the theory is a well implemented on-board audio would be superior to the audio solution in the headset. I've been reading around a bit today and the overwhelming conclusion I've reached is, there are too many variables for there to be a blanket answer. The only thing I've found for certain is an external dedicated DAC is the best solution if you really care about high quality audio. I suppose with the Arctis 5 I could test it myself as I could switch between USB and 3.5mm.

I have been thinking about getting a nice pair of headphones and using a separate microphone as others have suggested. I rarely have use for my mic anymore so the convenience of a headset isn't an important factor.

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciated it, even those that were twice my stated budget a guy can still look.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2018, 01:17 jdreyer

Anyone have recommendations for sub-$100 gaming headphones? Thinking about replacing my Razer Kraken 7.1's; the mic button doesn't work anymore, the material that covers the padding has deteriorated, and the software/drivers like to randomly break.

Noise cancellation isn't a big deal, and my onboard sound is decent (Realtek ALC1150), so 3.5mm connectors are viable.

I've been looking at the Steelseries Arctis 5/3s. Along with being great for gaming they're supposedly pretty good with music as well (once you adjust the EQ). One thing I'm curious about though is if you're connecting through 3.5mm is it still using the headset's sound-card? From what I understand, through a convoluted process, you can still configure the headphones if you're using the 3.5mm jack. This makes me think it's still using the headphones' sound card.

Anyways other recommendations are welcome. My current headphones more or less work fine, I'm just annoyed with them for the above stated reasons.

So I had a pair of the Sound BlasterX H7s that I got last year. These were absolutely great sounding and comfortable headphones for the money, and I loved them. However, they came with a critical design flaw, someone unacceptable for a company that has been in gaming audio as long as Creative has. The USB dongle was hardwired on a short cable to the headphones using a non-flexible connection. This created two problems. First is that I was always whacking the dongle on shit. It was annoying. Worse, the cable that connected to the headphones began to fray. Nine months in I started getting a slight crackle. Then one day the crackle got really bad and one ear started going in and out. I decided to RMA them, only to realize the warranty had expired the week before.

So I picked up a pair of Kingston HyperX Cloud IIs. These are also very comfortable and sound great, although the old ones probably have a slight edge. The big thing is that these connect to the dongle via standard 3.5mm jack, so if the headphones ever die I can substitute anything I want, like my noise cancelling AT cans and still get 7.1.

Anyway, good luck in your search! And be careful of any hardwired cans.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2018, 00:26 Nucas

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 00:08:
Best gaming headphones, are whatever music headphones you prefer most/within your budget along with a modmic or similar attachable mic. If you buy the headphones with the integrated mic then you will just be left with either the headphone or the mic part breaking and having to replace the whole thing, vs the modular approach where you can just replace whichever part breaks. Been using a modmic with a pair of Ultrasone pro-750's for 5 years now.

this is good advice since it also gives you the chance to upgrade one or the other.

in your price range, i'd suggest the Sony MDR-V6 (or MDR-7506, whichever is less - the 7506 is the studio designation with a better warranty but physically identical). 9 times out of 10 in my experience this is what i find in audio departments or in recording booths. they're about 70 bucks. you can spend the remaining 30 on a solid condensor microphone and a more comfortable set of velour or leather earpads for the headphones.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2018, 00:08 NKD

There are a lot of things I'd put up my ass if Gwyneth Paltrow made the right promises.  

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2018, 00:08 Mordecai Walfish

Best gaming headphones, are whatever music headphones you prefer most/within your budget along with a modmic or similar attachable mic. If you buy the headphones with the integrated mic then you will just be left with either the headphone or the mic part breaking and having to replace the whole thing, vs the modular approach where you can just replace whichever part breaks. Been using a modmic with a pair of Ultrasone pro-750's for 5 years now.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 20:58 Mr. Tact

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 20:14:

When was the last time you saw her in anything but a minor supporting role?
The obviously stuff, as you indicated, is playing Pepper Potts in the Iron Man/Avengers movies. I have no idea how much money she would get out of those. I do remember her from Contagion. After that I had to look at IMDB. Just before Shakespeare in Love she did The Perfect Murder, directly after Dogma and The Talented Mr. Ripley all of which may not be all-time classics, but were reasonable films. Since 2000 she has been averaging more than a movie per year, no big hits outside the Marvel movies where she is a minor character. But several movies which I at least I had heard of them (Shallow Hal, The Royal Tenenbaums, Country Strong). *shrug* I guess it is possible she needs more money because she is living the "high life".

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 20:14 Scottish Martial Arts

While at some level I agree with this sentiment, it is still a mystery to me why she does it. I assume she doesn't need the money. So, is she a sociopath? Or maybe she is secretly a con artist who gets a high of ripping people off? It is just weird.

When was the last time you saw her in anything but a minor supporting role? The heydey of her acting career was 20 years ago with Shakespeare in Love, and in the intervening years she has largely aged out of a Hollywood leading woman acting career. She's well positioned to still have an acting career on the stage, on British television, etc., along the lines of what Gillian Anderson did post X-Files, but that won't bring in the money of her peak acting years. Goop is a business that, despite it's gross stupidity and borderline con-artistry, is making her the kind of money she can no longer make acting.

Beyond that, there are a lot of people who really do "try to keep an open mind about alternative healing and wellness", and genuinely believe that healing crystals and jade vaginal eggs can help them. She is either one of them, or knows that the market for this bullshit exists.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 19:48 Agent.X7

SlimRam wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 17:21:
I must confess: I was the mad pooper in the United flight. I was trying to give myself the coffee enema with Paltrow's 'Implant 'O Rammer' and things got out of hand out of ass.

I was laughing the whole time I was reading that article. It sounds like a Ben Stiller movie. Guy gets the runs on a plane and through a series of horrible mishaps in-flight he winds up trying to clean poop off the walls with his shirt, which he then tries to flush. This would be the new reports you never see in the aftermath of those scenes in the movies.

I'm not crazy I'm just having a really shitty day!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 19:47 1badmf

sauron wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:48:

My GF got me a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones for Xmas, on sale at $175. They're not gaming cans per se, but boy are they good.

i must confess, i'd be interested to know what sauron is attracted to XD.

back on topic, he asked for sub-$100. i have a steel series set that i'm pretty happy with, though admittedly i'm no audiophile. can i ask why you want to use headphone jacks instead of USB? jacks are prone to every imaginable EM interference being an electrical signal. USB, being a digital signal, is not.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 19:42 1badmf

unless she's a REALLY good liar, she's always struck me as someone dumb enough to believe her own bullshit unlike alex jones who's just a straight up snake oil salesman.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 18:52 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 17:47 RedEye9

• Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 17:38:
    Osc8r wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:00:
    I'd be avoiding the 3.5 jack with onboard sound.

I'd avoid any PC 3.5 jack altogether unless you have an external DAC...
    Great Thread On pc audio https://hardforum.com/threads/h-ardocp-spec-bookshelf-speaker-setup.1927301/

I have been extremely happy with these https://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-Precision-Sound-Headphones/dp/B0013OWPV4

And you could add these https://antlionaudio.com

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
    The game’s afoot.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 17:38 Creston

Osc8r wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 16:00:
    I'd be avoiding the 3.5 jack with onboard sound.

I'd avoid any PC 3.5 jack altogether unless you have an external DAC...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 17:21 SlimRam

I must confess: I was the mad pooper in the United flight. I was trying to give myself the coffee enema with Paltrow's 'Implant 'O Rammer' and things got out of hand out of ass.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 16:48 sauron

So for the record, here's help with your final 12 days of Christmas inventory: You should now be in possession of 12 drummers drumming, 22 pipers piping, 30 lords-a-leaping, 36 ladies dancing, 40 maids-a-milking, 42 swans-a-swimming, 42 geese-a-laying, 40 golden rings, 36 calling birds, 30 French hens, 22 turtle doves, and a 12 partridges in a dozen pear trees.

We did have all those here at Barad-Dur, but the trolls got hungry, so now they're all gone.

Kittens!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 16:48 sauron

Kittens!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 16:14 Cutter

Best PC gaming headset 2018: the best gaming headset for your new rig

I use Audio Technica cans myself. They're not gaming phones per se but the sound is amazing. I think I paid $150'ish for them a few years ago.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2018, 16:06 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2018, 12:23:
    It's unbelievable, that Paltrow thing.

1) That there are people who actually think a 300 dollar fucking STRAW is going to do something for them.
    2) That she's such a fucking sociopath that she doesn't care she's clearly ripping people off.

Shit like that always makes me wonder if they're just grifting or are really that fucking out to lunch. She's always been kind of a wackadoo anyway so I strongly suspect it's a bit from column a and a bit from column b.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo