Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 4, 2018, 11:48 Eirikrautha

Good comment, but don't expect nuance or more then 2-dimensional thinking from that crowd. It's like arguing theology with a cultist: they start off with the assumption that their beliefs are correct and every additional data point is interpreted only in a context that will affirm it. It would never cross their mind that people, having seen a spectacular failure in crowdfunding, might be less likely to fund other kickstarters (which has already happened). Or that people have a discrete amount of disposable income and that they constantly choose between options of what to spend it on. I know of at least two indie Wing Commander/Tie Fighter style games that didn't even bother to go the kickstarter route, because they assumed the funding was already going toward SC...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: GeForce Experience 3.0 Released Jan 4, 2018, 09:33 Beamer

I don't think it's fair to blame SC for a decline in crowdfunding video games. Let's blame pretty much every other video game project.

Everyone knew crowdfunding games had major risks, because so many people asking for money were good at creating static assets but really bad at managing a full game project. But can anyone here say they haven't been burned on a game? Either it came out, and was far less than promised, or it simply didn't come out?

The drop in Kickstarting from 2015 to 2016 was dramatic, and not SCs fault. People have just realized their money is always better spent waiting to see if a product arrives. Spending 10% more for a finished product with solid reviews beats paying 9% less for something that never comes out or sucks.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: GeForce Experience 3.0 Released Jan 4, 2018, 08:46 Gojo

Kajetan wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 21:56:
A failure of SC will NOT HAVE ANY negative impact on other crowdfunding projects. Because different people have different interests and crowdfunding isnt a single budget controlled by a single person.

Interestingly it was shown that the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge siphoned money from other charities. It seems that people tend to give close to the same overall amount to charities so the ALS charities took the lions share of that during the challenge. I would think that crowdfunding would be similar but I've not seen any actual stats on that.

=-Gojo-=

14. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 4, 2018, 08:46 Slashman

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 06:57:
A failure of SC will NOT HAVE ANY negative impact on other crowdfunding projects. Because different people have different interests and crowdfunding isn't a single budget controlled by a single person.
Using logic and common sense will simply not be tolerated. You have been warned.

I don't think it is that straightforward. Sure there are many divergent tastes in genres of games, but it is absolutely possible for a major failure in crowd funding to make regular funders of other projects think twice or reduce their contributions. I don't beleive it will be an all or nothing deal, but to believe that no impact would be felt is kind of naive.

Right now it is more difficult for new devs to break into crowd funding in a major way. We have an established set of developers who can count on it to move their projects forward like Obsidian or HBS. A large and very visible project failure of SC's scope could very well make it even harder for worthwhile projects to get funded by increasing funder paranoia.

13. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 4, 2018, 06:57 RedEye9

A failure of SC will NOT HAVE ANY negative impact on other crowdfunding projects. Because different people have different interests and crowdfunding isn't a single budget controlled by a single person.
Using logic and common sense will simply not be tolerated. You have been warned.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

12. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 4, 2018, 06:55 Kajetan

El Pit wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 06:45:
The hardcore crowdfunding crowd will mostly not be influenced by Star Citizen's failure, but the casual crowdfunders will feel the impact and will most likely think at least twice before funding a project again. Different people react differently.
There is no such thing as a "casual crowdfunder".

11. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 4, 2018, 06:45 El Pit

Kajetan wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 06:08:
Dacron wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 04:58:
A failure of SC will NOT HAVE ANY negative impact on other crowdfunding projects.

That's a pretty bold statement.
Its not bold. Its logical.

No, it's wrong.

The hardcore crowdfunding crowd will mostly not be influenced by Star Citizen's failure, but the casual crowdfunders will feel the impact and will most likely think at least twice before funding a project again. Different people react differently.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

10. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 4, 2018, 06:08 Kajetan

Dacron wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 04:58:
A failure of SC will NOT HAVE ANY negative impact on other crowdfunding projects.

Its not bold. Its logical.

9. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 4, 2018, 05:31 Luke

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 20:41:
So will it's failure be the death toll for crowdfunding games? I'm thinking yes.

Let's hope ...so we can get people who REALLY WANT TO make games..and not this " well maybe I do it , maybe I don't, give me money ye all and I'll decide "

It's one beggars paradise

8. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 4, 2018, 04:58 Dacron

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

7. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 3, 2018, 22:53 Avus

Enron of crowdfunding game?  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

6. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 3, 2018, 21:56 Kajetan

Eirikrautha wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 21:03:
Meaning that many other games that could have been funded have had the available funds siphoned away to support this vaporware. How many more Cupheads or other indie games of a smaller and more successful scope could have been funded? SC really will drive the final stake through the heart of crowdfunded video games...
Simply ... no! There is no common central budget, there are tens of thousands of people with different tastes. People who will gladly back some retro platformer will not back SC. People, who pour hundreds of dollars in SC have no interest in projects like Cuphead.

A failure of SC will NOT HAVE ANY negative impact on other crowdfunding projects. Because different people have different interests and crowdfunding isnt a single budget controlled by a single person.

5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 21:09 Bumpy

And soon, like any month now, it will prove it was totally worth every penny. Well ok, maybe within the decade...or next.  

4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 21:03 Eirikrautha

Meaning that many other games that could have been funded have had the available funds siphoned away to support this vaporware. How many more Cupheads or other indie games of a smaller and more successful scope could have been funded? SC really will drive the final stake through the heart of crowdfunded video games...  

3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 20:41 Cutter

So will it's failure be the death toll for crowdfunding games? I'm thinking yes.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 20:29 SlimRam

Um... yay?  

1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 20:28 RedEye9

Now it's time for it to win some awards.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >