Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG

The Nexon Q3 2017 Investor Presentation came out close to two months ago, but the news that drew attention at the time was their acquisition of a new mobile studio. DSOGaming notes that at the time the publisher also revealed that LawBreakers represented a majority of their "impairment loss" for the period. Word is: "In Q3, impairment loss related to LawBreakers accounts for the majority of the total other expense. We will not accrue any more impairment loss pertaining to LawBreakers." The Investopedia explains the term: "Impairment loss is the decrease in an asset’s net carrying value that exceeds the future undisclosed cash flow it should generate. Net carrying value is an asset’s acquisition cost minus depreciation. Impairment occurs when a company sells or abandons an asset that is no longer beneficial. Impaired assets must be recognized as a loss on the company’s income statement." Nexon also stated in an investor's conference call that they blame the failures of Boss Key's shooter on the success of PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, the battle royale shooter that had already sold more than four million copies a couple of months before LawBreakers' release:

"Our results in North America in the third quarter were below our outlook, mainly due to the sales from LawBreakers being below our expectations. LawBreakers is a unique FPS developed for core users. We had very high expectations for its launch; however, the timing of its launch turned out to be unfortunate, specifically the blockbuster PC online game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds came out right about the same time, making the market environment very tough for first-person shooters in general and for LawBreakers."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 21:55 Sepharo

This forum is so bizarre sometimes, err most of the times.

"PUBG is generic and offers nothing new"
"Overwatch is a bland copy of TF2"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 16:58 Osc8r

MrBone wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 10:06:
I admit to not understanding how PUBG got so popular. Its game-play is generic and offers nothing new. But then again, I am still amazed at the whole find the Pokemon deal.

It's because it's a BR game where you fight to be the last man standing, which to a lot of people is more intense and dynamic than trying to top a scoreboard every 10 minutes.

Not a fan of the PUBG mechanics or slow gameplay though, so I'm sticking to fornite till something better comes along.

Speaking of generic though - that would be overwatch. It feels like bland copy of TF2 with terrible animations and repetitive gameplay (TF2 had heaps of modes, mods and custom maps). But hey... its got the Blizzard name attached.

50. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 12:11 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:39:
Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:58:
Didn't this game have an unusually long dev cycle? I remember when it was announced and it seemed like a yawn then. When it came out it felt like a game with a late 90's early 2000's design aesthetic with modern graphics.

Which was the biggest issue(s), I think. Overestimating how many people wanted 90s-era gameplay. And how many didn't care much about aesthetic (or they thought their aesthetic was fine and not supergeneric.)

Lawbreakers was largely 90s gameplay style with new gameplay modes. Overwatch, from what I've seen (never played), is 90s gameplay style with new features and a very shiny, modern coat of paint.

Overwatch feels like Team Fortress 2.5. It's fun, and the supers are actually a great idea and with some skill can make a large difference. They dropped some of the archetypes from TF2, and split other archetypes down into smaller sub-types.

As for it being a 90's style shooter? Sort of. But there's some modern ideas in there.

49. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 11:15 Theo

MrBone wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 17:15:
PUBG wasn't the problem. The game was garbage.

Thanks the thing, it isnt. its actaully pretty good, its just that hardcore arena shooters are not very popular anymore. (look at how quake champions is struggling despite the fact its brilliant).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

48. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 10:33 Darks

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 20:02:
Darks wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 19:25:
There he goes again, looking to point the finger at everything else other then himself. What an asshole. How about taking some responsibility Ciffy?

This wasn't him, it was his investor.

Maybe, but you can bet he will have something to say about all of this and still find a way to blame others for the games failure.

I know for a fact many of us who knew this game was coming played it in beta access and most felt this game was shit for the get go.

Which is why on release the game did not do well at all.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

47. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 10:06 MrBone

I admit to not understanding how PUBG got so popular. Its game-play is generic and offers nothing new. But then again, I am still amazed at the whole find the Pokemon deal.  

46. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 00:32 StingingVelvet

Slashman wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 19:28:
I keep hearing about how the PC market was struggling when he said that. I must have been asleep because I was gaming just same as I always have. The issue was people were equating not having AAA blockbuster 87206 or having very shitty port of AAA blockbuster 87206 with "struggling". That's an alternate reality that did n't actually exist.

Yeah well he was making big AAA mainstream targeted shooters at the time, so...

45. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 00:19 Slick

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:56:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:38:
Always spread the blame.

How does PUBG's success have anything to do with LawBreakers failure. They are two totally unrelated sub-genres. Games that are sort of similar to it like Overwatch are still thriving. The problem is that the game just didn't seem all that interesting or original.

LawBreakers had one bit of originality that should have given it a stable audience, the fact that every class had different mobility. To hardcore competitive FPS fans this was really cool.

ESPECIALLY considering the rehash garbage that Quake Champions is.

Still, who can be that surprised that hardcore competitive twitch arena shooters aren't selling millions of copies anymore... I think after UT3 the trend had taken form, and has yet to be bucked.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

44. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 21:21 Sepharo

Beamer your string of posts here seem to conflict with each other.

I'd be shocked if even a fraction of PC users had a clue who he was, let alone what he did that pissed some off, let alone would "never forgive him."

Which was the biggest issue(s), I think. Overestimating how many people wanted 90s-era gameplay. And how many didn't care much about aesthetic (or they thought their aesthetic was fine and not supergeneric.) Lawbreakers was largely 90s gameplay style with new gameplay modes.

CliffyB: "No GoW2 on PC ever, because of pirates and Dell-esque shitboxes."

In other words, he was saying the market was too small to warrant the work. The game would have been demanding, which so many PCs wouldn't be able to run (he said this a full decade ago, when black Dell boxes sold for $500 that came with incredibly underpowered GPUs were all the rage), and the higher end was minimized even more due to piracy.

His usual blunt tone made it sound antagonistic, but his point was a business decision. Vocal minority PC gamers, being the constantly offended gatekeepers that they are, got all riled up that he called ALL gamers pirates (he didn't), and implied that PCs couldn't run something an Xbox 360 could even though it was less powerful (not only is that not true relative to the Dell-esque shitboxes, but I'm constantly amazed at how many PC gamers claim to know so much about computers and programming but struggle to understand why consoles do so much with less, and why porting to PCs can be very expensive.)

The damn guy targeted the same gamers that he burned. The "hardcore" gamers that are into 90s deathmatches...
So yeah I'm not surprised at all that that very specific demographic would pass on his game.
He wasn't going to get sales from casual or not-fans-of-twitch-DM, so the sales needed to be from the very group that hates him. I think it did have a large impact.

edit: err I guess I missed the whole last page talking about this very point.

43. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 20:02 Beamer

Darks wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 19:25:
There he goes again, looking to point the finger at everything else other then himself. What an asshole. How about taking some responsibility Ciffy?

This wasn't him, it was his investor.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 19:28 Slashman

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 18:23:
Cliffy B's words about PC gaming that pissed everyone off came at a time where the platform was really struggling. I remember reading constant articles about the death of PC gaming and watching more and more games become console exclusive around that time. Dragon Age and MMOs were pretty much all we had to flaunt on magazine covers and the like. It's a totally different world now after Steam, indies and other factors made the PC rise again like the phoenix it always is.

In short I don't blame the guy for sizing up the market at the time. Anyone in the same position would have likely done the same thing. His attitude wasn't any better or worse than all the other game dev dudebros of that time and era.

I keep hearing about how the PC market was struggling when he said that. I must have been asleep because I was gaming just same as I always have. The issue was people were equating not having AAA blockbuster 87206 or having very shitty port of AAA blockbuster 87206 with "struggling". That's an alternate reality that did n't actually exist.

That reality was being pushed by the same big publishers we curse today because it fit their "piracy is the devil" narrative. There were entire franchises made for PC that were never made for console. There was no lack of games to play, just some people fretting that not having a particular "blockbuster" title on PC was some kind of prelude to Armageddon.

41. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 19:25 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

40. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 19:16 NKD

The thing that affected my decision on this game was that I never fucking heard of it until it had already been declared a failure.  

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

39. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 18:23 StingingVelvet

Cliffy B's words about PC gaming that pissed everyone off came at a time where the platform was really struggling. I remember reading constant articles about the death of PC gaming and watching more and more games become console exclusive around that time. Dragon Age and MMOs were pretty much all we had to flaunt on magazine covers and the like. It's a totally different world now after Steam, indies and other factors made the PC rise again like the phoenix it always is.

In short I don't blame the guy for sizing up the market at the time. Anyone in the same position would have likely done the same thing. His attitude wasn't any better or worse than all the other game dev dudebros of that time and era.

38. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 18:17 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 16:50:
Prez wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 15:17:

It's odd that so many people don't get this. Lawbreakers wasn't aimed at the casual market the way Overwatch and the Battle Royale games that are currently all the rage are - it's success was largely hinging upon the buy-in of the hardcore PC gaming market. The very same one he's told to fuck off many times throughout his career. Of course Lawbreakers suffered because of his past indiscretions. That said, given the aforementioned major shortcomings surrounding Lawbreakers, it was never going to be a smash success. At best it was going to be a niche hardcore shooter darling similar to the first Tribes, but I have no doubt it failed to achieve even close to that because of who's project it was.

I think if Lawbreakers had been appealing, it wouldn't have mattered. Instead, he offered a bland game that had been done many times before in a saturated market.

You could replace Lawbreakers with PUBG and it would still hold true, the runaway success of PUBG is probably causing a lot of head scratching around AAA studios.

37. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 18:16 Prez

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 17:11:
born2expire wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 16:58:
Cliffy B is the reason i refused to even try this game.
PUBG has sold over 26 million copies, but if CliffyB had been the name behind PUBG you know how many copies it would have sold, over 26 million.

Because PUBG has mass appeal and was primo streamer fodder which would render a dev's off-putting personality moot in regards to sales potential. Playerunknown is perceived to be by many (myself included) a loudmouth dickhead and it has not affected sales because the mass market at large does not concern itself with such things. Despite whatever delusions Blezinski had about his game's chances at mass appeal, Lawbreakers was never going to achieve such critical mass in the gaming space. Because of the type of game it is and what segment of customers it is geared towards Blezinski's reputation had a more tangible effect on Lawbreakers' sales. At least that's my take.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 17:15 MrBone

PUBG wasn't the problem. The game was garbage.  

35. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 17:11 RedEye9

born2expire wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 16:58:
PUBG has sold over 26 million copies, but if CliffyB had been the name behind PUBG you know how many copies it would have sold, over 26 million.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.

34. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 17:10 SlimRam

I've said before and will say again, I'll never buy a game made by Cliffy. I don't like him. There are things that, in my mind, bring me to this decision. I don't feel the need to justify this to anyone. Whether this was a deciding factor for the generally bad sales numbers for the game, I have no idea, but it affected mine.  

33. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 16:58 born2expire

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo