Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG

The Nexon Q3 2017 Investor Presentation came out close to two months ago, but the news that drew attention at the time was their acquisition of a new mobile studio. DSOGaming notes that at the time the publisher also revealed that LawBreakers represented a majority of their "impairment loss" for the period. Word is: "In Q3, impairment loss related to LawBreakers accounts for the majority of the total other expense. We will not accrue any more impairment loss pertaining to LawBreakers." The Investopedia explains the term: "Impairment loss is the decrease in an assetís net carrying value that exceeds the future undisclosed cash flow it should generate. Net carrying value is an assetís acquisition cost minus depreciation. Impairment occurs when a company sells or abandons an asset that is no longer beneficial. Impaired assets must be recognized as a loss on the companyís income statement." Nexon also stated in an investor's conference call that they blame the failures of Boss Key's shooter on the success of PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, the battle royale shooter that had already sold more than four million copies a couple of months before LawBreakers' release:

"Our results in North America in the third quarter were below our outlook, mainly due to the sales from LawBreakers being below our expectations. LawBreakers is a unique FPS developed for core users. We had very high expectations for its launch; however, the timing of its launch turned out to be unfortunate, specifically the blockbuster PC online game PlayerUnknownís Battlegrounds came out right about the same time, making the market environment very tough for first-person shooters in general and for LawBreakers."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 16:56 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 14:00:
CliffyB: "No GoW2 on PC ever, because of pirates and Dell-esque shitboxes."

That wasn't the only time he was being a major asshole. Let's go the imminent release of Bulletstorm, and they released a demo for it on the x360, and didn't do one on PC.

PC Gamers were, fairly justifiably, pissed off that X360 players got to try it out for free, and they were told to pound sand.

So cliffyb, bastion of tact, called every PC gamer a crybaby pirate, and who was shocked that PC gamers didn't like something and yadda yadda yadda.

And then when, SHOCKER, Bulletstorm sold like shit on the PC, who did cliffyb blame? Oh right, the pirates, of course. It couldn't possibly have been that people said "You know what? Fuck you and your game."

And I'm sure I could find more if I bothered to dredge up old memories, but eh. The guy was an asshole to PC gamers from the day he started making money on the 360, and then after 10 years, all of a sudden he's like "hehe, yeah, I was a bit of a dick. Sorry. Buy my new game?"

Even so, it won't have had much of an effect on sales, but I find the concept of him having to sit there with his 15 players and eat crow to be fairly amusing. I'm easily amused like that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 16:50 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 15:17:

It's odd that so many people don't get this. Lawbreakers wasn't aimed at the casual market the way Overwatch and the Battle Royale games that are currently all the rage are - it's success was largely hinging upon the buy-in of the hardcore PC gaming market. The very same one he's told to fuck off many times throughout his career. Of course Lawbreakers suffered because of his past indiscretions. That said, given the aforementioned major shortcomings surrounding Lawbreakers, it was never going to be a smash success. At best it was going to be a niche hardcore shooter darling similar to the first Tribes, but I have no doubt it failed to achieve even close to that because of who's project it was.

I think if Lawbreakers had been appealing, it wouldn't have mattered. Instead, he offered a bland game that had been done many times before in a saturated market.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

30. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 16:46 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:44:
Never mind.

Don't tell me what to do.

Do you need a time-out, sir?

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

29. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 15:17 Prez

Acleacius wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 14:59:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:11:
Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:41:
aka_STEVE wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:21:
...or blame it on the fact that your company aligned itself with Cliffy B ?
...and most PC users will never forget him.

I'd be shocked if even a fraction of PC users had a clue who he was, let alone what he did that pissed some off, let alone would "never forgive him."

Just a bunch of crotchety old men that complain about how much better everything was when they were teenagers while complaining about how much the devs that made the things they loved when they were teenagers are evil, stupid, or both.

....Nobody cares about Cliffy B and he's certainly not the reason why LawBreakers failed.....
Is there a name for "funny ironic contradictions"?

His infamy clearly played a part in word of mouth, at the very least.

It's odd that so many people don't get this. Lawbreakers wasn't aimed at the casual market the way Overwatch and the Battle Royale games that are currently all the rage are - it's success was largely hinging upon the buy-in of the hardcore PC gaming market. The very same one he's told to fuck off many times throughout his career. Of course Lawbreakers suffered because of his past indiscretions. That said, given the aforementioned major shortcomings surrounding Lawbreakers, it was never going to be a smash success. At best it was going to be a niche hardcore shooter darling similar to the first Tribes, but I have no doubt it failed to achieve even close to that because of who's project it was.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:59 Acleacius

Jerykk wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:11:
Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:41:

I'd be shocked if even a fraction of PC users had a clue who he was, let alone what he did that pissed some off, let alone would "never forgive him."

Just a bunch of crotchety old men that complain about how much better everything was when they were teenagers while complaining about how much the devs that made the things they loved when they were teenagers are evil, stupid, or both.

....Nobody cares about Cliffy B and he's certainly not the reason why LawBreakers failed.....
Is there a name for "funny ironic contradictions"?

His infamy clearly played a part in word of mouth, at the very least.

ďItís a sad day for America when people believe women,Ē The Drumpf

27. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:58 DangerDog

Quinn wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:27:
TheEmissary wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:56:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:38:
Always spread the blame.

How does PUBG's success have anything to do with LawBreakers failure. They are two totally unrelated sub-genres. Games that are sort of similar to it like Overwatch are still thriving. The problem is that the game just didn't seem all that interesting or original.

Their originality was "vertical gameplay". They didn't take into account that fucking nobody likes aiming at epileptic targets above them in the air in an FPS. In fact, the fact that that's how you have to fight Pharah in Overwatch is one of her perks.

And yeah, blame Overwatch which is still as successful as it was since release. PUBG is comparing apples with oranges.

It's kind of ironic because Cliff B. said that he hated Tribes, and then he goes off and makes an aerial FPS shooter. Maybe if he added skiing and jetpacks to the game with outdoor type spaces with rolling hills it would have been better..

26. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:53 DangerDog

Seemed like Overwatch was the direct competition, even gearbox failed at carving a niche into that mountain with 'Battleborn'.

Still not sure what Cliff B. was thinking on LawBreakers. Hard core Twitch shooters seems like a recipe for disaster.

25. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:22 SpectralMeat

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 14:11:
So all offended man-babies immediately accepted the fact that he has since apologized and have moved on. CliffyB Admits He Was Wrong About Criticizing PC Gamers, Admits PC To Be The Superior Platform. end of story, amirite
You don't seriously believe that this game didn't sell well because PC gamers were offended by what CliffyB said do you?
PC gamers were upset with Ubisoft and their business practices too yet Rainbow Six is one of the best selling games of they year
LawBreakers didn't sell because it doesn't do anything particularly well, the PR for it was pretty much non existent, and the fps shooter market was pretty saturated with great and super popular games last year.
Titanfall had similar faith

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:11 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 14:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:54:
Never mind.
So what was this hOrRiBull thing that the Turribul Cliffy B did that offended sensitive gamers?
And did he apologize for said slight.

In other words, he was saying the market was too small to warrant the work. The game would have been demanding, which so many PCs wouldn't be able to run (he said this a full decade ago, when black Dell boxes sold for $500 that came with incredibly underpowered GPUs were all the rage), and the higher end was minimized even more due to piracy.

His usual blunt tone made it sound antagonistic, but his point was a business decision. Vocal minority PC gamers, being the constantly offended gatekeepers that they are, got all riled up that he called ALL gamers pirates (he didn't), and implied that PCs couldn't run something an Xbox 360 could even though it was less powerful (not only is that not true relative to the Dell-esque shitboxes, but I'm constantly amazed at how many PC gamers claim to know so much about computers and programming but struggle to understand why consoles do so much with less, and why porting to PCs can be very expensive.)
So all offended man-babies immediately accepted the fact that he has since apologized and have moved on. CliffyB Admits He Was Wrong About Criticizing PC Gamers, Admits PC To Be The Superior Platform. end of story, amirite

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

23. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:08 HoSpanky

Not gonna quote previous people because itís a pain to edit down on a phone, but:

Beamer, Overwatch is a bit overhyped, but itís a rock solid team shooter. Each character plays quite differently, and are absolutely designed to compliment each other. The gifs you see that are supposedly sneaky things are usually someone pulling off a kill their character had no right to succeed at. I donít play it very often, but when I get in there with my friends, itís tons of fun.

As for Lawbreakers...it just doesnít have anything in the ads on Steam that makes me say ďoh shit I have to have that!Ē. Overwatch has ads like that. One of my favorite games this year has a more compelling ad than Lawbreakers (x-morph defense), and itís a tiny indie game. Lawbreakersí awful sellthru is an unfortunate mix of poor timing, advertising, and visual design. Ten years ago, Iíd have been ALL ABOUT a game like that. But I can get a pretty decent near-identical looking shooter on Epicís launcher in the new UT. It looks JUST as generic, but itís free and pretty damn solid.

22. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:00 TheEmissary

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:44:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:30:
Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 10:06:
Always spread the blame.

How does PUBG's success have anything to do with LawBreakers failure. They are two totally unrelated sub-genres. Games that are sort of similar to it like Overwatch are still thriving. The problem is that the game just didn't seem all that interesting or original.

In part, anyone that was open to trying a new competitive FPS in that time period was playing PUBG.

But yeah, I'd say Overwatch is a more direct competitor, and Lawbreakers just did nothing to attract those players. Overwatch obviously had a much larger budget, particularly for marketing, but it built something of a world with distinct characters and spent a lot of time advertising those characters. Lawbreakers had characters, but that's about as much as you can say about them - they exist. I get that it wanted to be more streamlined and about the gameplay, but there was already something out there brighter and sparklier and without a large amount of people complaining about flaws that Lawbreakers was seeking to correct.

Yup, those marketing shorts achieved the impossible: they gave life to the characters in an online-only arena shooter. Compared to Mei, Winston, and Tracer, the Lawbreakers characters are cardboard cutouts. Hell, I hate online arena shooters, and even I wanted to buy Overwatch (I didn't though).

Also, they had a year head start.

Right? I love CS but hate anything with a high learning curve online. I don't play enough to get particularly good, and I like feeling like a god in a game these days (as I do right now in Wolfenstein 2.) But Overwatch had me somewhat interested.

However, I often see .gifs on reddit of Overwatch, with a caption like "I'm so sneaky, look what I did!" and then I watch the gif and have no clue what I'm looking at. No clue why it was impressive. No clue all the stuff going on or why. For just an arena shooter, it's weirdly incoherent in 20 second clips to someone who spent literal years of his life playing arena shooters in the late 90s. This isn't a complaint or criticism - I'm impressed they did something so drastically different that I have no clue what I'm looking at. Few games do that to me, especially in genres I know well.

I kind of feel the same way when I watch a MOBA match out of context. If you don't watch the entire thing or know what all the hero abilities do its pretty difficult to follow. I suppose its no different than some one watching a sports match for the first time. You need some familiarity with it prior.

21. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 14:00 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:54:
Never mind.
So what was this hOrRiBull thing that the Turribul Cliffy B did that offended sensitive gamers?

In other words, he was saying the market was too small to warrant the work. The game would have been demanding, which so many PCs wouldn't be able to run (he said this a full decade ago, when black Dell boxes sold for $500 that came with incredibly underpowered GPUs were all the rage), and the higher end was minimized even more due to piracy.

His usual blunt tone made it sound antagonistic, but his point was a business decision. Vocal minority PC gamers, being the constantly offended gatekeepers that they are, got all riled up that he called ALL gamers pirates (he didn't), and implied that PCs couldn't run something an Xbox 360 could even though it was less powerful (not only is that not true relative to the Dell-esque shitboxes, but I'm constantly amazed at how many PC gamers claim to know so much about computers and programming but struggle to understand why consoles do so much with less, and why porting to PCs can be very expensive.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 13:54 RedEye9

Never mind.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

19. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 13:46 Beamer

Never mind.

Don't tell me what to do.

-------------

18. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 13:44 jdreyer

Never mind.  

17. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 13:44 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:30:
Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 10:06:
Always spread the blame.

In part, anyone that was open to trying a new competitive FPS in that time period was playing PUBG.

But yeah, I'd say Overwatch is a more direct competitor, and Lawbreakers just did nothing to attract those players. Overwatch obviously had a much larger budget, particularly for marketing, but it built something of a world with distinct characters and spent a lot of time advertising those characters. Lawbreakers had characters, but that's about as much as you can say about them - they exist. I get that it wanted to be more streamlined and about the gameplay, but there was already something out there brighter and sparklier and without a large amount of people complaining about flaws that Lawbreakers was seeking to correct.

Yup, those marketing shorts achieved the impossible: they gave life to the characters in an online-only arena shooter. Compared to Mei, Winston, and Tracer, the Lawbreakers characters are cardboard cutouts. Hell, I hate online arena shooters, and even I wanted to buy Overwatch (I didn't though).

Also, they had a year head start.

Right? I love CS but hate anything with a high learning curve online. I don't play enough to get particularly good, and I like feeling like a god in a game these days (as I do right now in Wolfenstein 2.) But Overwatch had me somewhat interested.

However, I often see .gifs on reddit of Overwatch, with a caption like "I'm so sneaky, look what I did!" and then I watch the gif and have no clue what I'm looking at. No clue why it was impressive. No clue all the stuff going on or why. For just an arena shooter, it's weirdly incoherent in 20 second clips to someone who spent literal years of his life playing arena shooters in the late 90s. This isn't a complaint or criticism - I'm impressed they did something so drastically different that I have no clue what I'm looking at. Few games do that to me, especially in genres I know well.

-------------

16. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 13:40 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:32:
Bye cliffy!

On the one hand, sure. On the other hand, he's laughing all the way to his $20M house and totally hot wife.

As an aside, "Lauren Berggren" sounds more like a handbag company name than a person's name.

15. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 13:39 Beamer

Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:58:
Didn't this game have an unusually long dev cycle? I remember when it was announced and it seemed like a yawn then. When it came out it felt like a game with a late 90's early 2000's design aesthetic with modern graphics.

Which was the biggest issue(s), I think. Overestimating how many people wanted 90s-era gameplay. And how many didn't care much about aesthetic (or they thought their aesthetic was fine and not supergeneric.)

Lawbreakers was largely 90s gameplay style with new gameplay modes. Overwatch, from what I've seen (never played), is 90s gameplay style with new features and a very shiny, modern coat of paint.

-------------

14. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 13:33 jdreyer

Meh, he's a smarmy asshole, but I've always been a huge fan of the Unreal franchise. I would have given this game a chance if like Unreal Black it had both AI bots for offline play and vehicles. As the game stands now, it's not even equal to the original UT.

13. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 13:32 Creston

Bye cliffy!

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo