Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Crowdfunding Roundup

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 18:47 Linthat22

I've had a crappy experience with Kickstarter. I backed a game called Star Citizen, which had this cool solo mode, so I had to back that too. I think it was called either Star Marine or Squadron 42.

Then I Kickstarted some ships for the game and now we're 4 years into things and I'm thinking it's never coming out.

Don't get me started on Shroud of the Avatar. That game is just ass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 17:13 jdreyer

Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 12:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 12:13:
Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:53:
I've had good to excellent kickstarter experiences with board games. The only video games I've kickstarted that I had a good experience with is the Shadowrun/Battletech games from Harebrained.

Meh, I backed D:OS 1 and D:OS 2 and obviously those are fantastic games

Backed quite a few games with huge delays as well.... Bloodstained

.... which is still MIA

Oh don't get me wrong there's been some great success stories for video games on Kickstarter.

It's just that usually by the time a board game finds its way to kickstarter, you have the prototype done, and probably the final art done or being done, and the odds of it getting to print are pretty high. There will be delays, that's almost inevitable, especially with Chinese printing, but like, you can pretty easily work out how much money you need to finish a kickstarted board game once you get it to a certain point, and that point is generally *way* farther along than a kickstarted video game.

All good points, also board games are more amenable to being done successfully by individuals/small teams than video games, the few exceptions notwithstanding: FTL, Banner Saga, Darkest Dungeon, etc.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 12:43 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 12:13:
I've had good to excellent kickstarter experiences with board games. The only video games I've kickstarted that I had a good experience with is the Shadowrun/Battletech games from Harebrained.

.... which is still MIA

Oh don't get me wrong there's been some great success stories for video games on Kickstarter.

It's just that usually by the time a board game finds its way to kickstarter, you have the prototype done, and probably the final art done or being done, and the odds of it getting to print are pretty high. There will be delays, that's almost inevitable, especially with Chinese printing, but like, you can pretty easily work out how much money you need to finish a kickstarted board game once you get it to a certain point, and that point is generally *way* farther along than a kickstarted video game.

3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 12:25 Beamer

I've backed plenty that never, or at least hasn't, materialized.

And several that have, though I think I've only played FTL of those. I've played enough FTL to cover 10 games, but it's weird to me how I never even downloaded some of them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 12:13 eRe4s3r

.... which is still MIA

1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 11:53 Flatline

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo