Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 8, 2018, 09:23 Suppa7

Saboth wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 19:21:
From what I've seen of this game, it seems to just be a big one against all generic FPS. I don't see anything unusual or out of the ordinary that would warrant anything like a book, movie, franchise, etc. I'm sure it must be fun to play and all that, but random no-name people running around aimbotting each other doesn't seem to be a revolutionary concept.

Everything old is new again, you have to remember there are entire generations of human beings who never played the original doom, descent or duke nukem 3d or know anything about the history of FPS during the 90's.

There is an entire generation who's memory starts after xbox and wouldn't have a clue about how computers work or anything else. That's why the software market for games and everything else is fucked up beyond all recognition the average person on our planet is incredibly mind blowingly dumb.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 20:05 Beamer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 18:47:
If anything deserved a movie it would be a game with a story like Half-Life.

Disagreed. Those have strong stories, which people will ruin. I think atmospheric games that build an interesting world but have a more loose story would make the transition to different media better. Plus, no angry fans shitting all over every decision prior, generating bad buzz.

For instance, where I to do a HL movie, I'd probably want to do someone fighting the Combine elsewhere. Gordon wouldn't be involved, perhaps alluded to, perhaps seen in the distance like the G-Man, but not involved. It wouldn't be his story. His story has been told (well, partially.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 19:21 Saboth

From what I've seen of this game, it seems to just be a big one against all generic FPS. I don't see anything unusual or out of the ordinary that would warrant anything like a book, movie, franchise, etc. I'm sure it must be fun to play and all that, but random no-name people running around aimbotting each other doesn't seem to be a revolutionary concept.

13. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 18:47 RedEye9

If anything deserved a movie it would be a game with a story like Half-Life.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.

12. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 18:05 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:51:
Ozmodan wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:34:
This guy does not get it, it is a fad which will be replaced with something else. The chances that this game continues with it's top ranking are almost zip.

I dunno, you might have said the same thing about Counterstrike 10 years ago, but it's still super popular.

Counter-Strike was in kind of a slump leading up to and shortly following the release of CS:GO. Of course, a slump for CS is still pretty good by the standards of almost any other game, but for a while the new version barely competed with then 8-year-old CS: Source in terms of player count, and no version could even catch a whiff of the success Dota 2 immediately saw when it came out. It wasn't until a couple years later that CS:GO really took off (maybe due to the broader competitive audience drawn in by Dota) and became 'super popular' as it is now:

http://steamcharts.com/app/730#All

Point being, CS kind of went away for a while and could have easily died off almost entirely if it didn't make the comeback that it did only a few years ago.

11. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 17:51 Devinoch

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:51:
This guy does not get it, it is a fad which will be replaced with something else. The chances that this game continues with it's top ranking are almost zip.

I dunno, you might have said the same thing about Counterstrike 10 years ago, but it's still super popular.

And yet, have you seen a Counterstrike movie? A Counterstrike TV franchise? A Counterstrike band? A line of Counterstrike novels and/or comics?

Universal media franchises currently are what game developers thought MMOs were going to be 10-15 years ago - a vast untapped wealth of money just waiting to be scooped up, that will eventually be revealed as a niche that appeals to a small but loyal people who are attached to one or two, and that's it.

i.e. Many will try, few will win.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

10. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 16:12 Cutter

Trashy wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 14:49:
I've been wondering why everyone has been misspelling Pug over the last several weeks.

PUBE?

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

9. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 14:49 Trashy

I've been wondering why everyone has been misspelling Pug over the last several weeks.  

8. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 13:55 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:34:
I'd like for the entire concept of 'universal media franchise' to die, but I think neither of us will get what we want, sadly.

It's hard enough converting narrative based games to film and TV. This has literally no chance of producing anything good.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

7. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 13:53 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 09:40:
I can see it now. Clothing, outfits and Halloween costumes sold only at wally world.

For the Halloween costumes, they put you in a huge warehouse where all the costume pieces are hidden in crates, shipping containers, and other random obstacles. You have to run around and find random pieces before time runs out. Whatever you end up with is your costume.

6. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 13:51 jdreyer

5. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 13:34 Creston

I'd like for the entire concept of 'universal media franchise' to die, but I think neither of us will get what we want, sadly.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 11:41 MoreLuckThanSkill

"I'd like 10 billion dollars, deposited directly into the bank accounts of my choice." -MoreLuckThanSkill

3. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 09:42 TheEmissary

Pretty much. PUBG is pretty much a slight innovation on games that were in early access or mods for years. Its just the first game to be stable enough and hit at the right time with the youtube/marketing influencers. It could have just as easily been DayZ or H1Z1:king of the hill or any other game like it.

If anything we are going to see a ton of Battle Royale games from both indie and major publishers. All the while who knows what the next hit will be with the YT crowd.

2. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 09:40 RedEye9

I can see it now. Clothing, outfits and Halloween costumes sold only at wally world.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.

1. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 3, 2018, 09:34 Ozmodan

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo