Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 3, 2018, 17:22 MrBone

Reading books to learn about science nowadays is laughable, sadly. Heck, I learned more post-30 about stuff like quantum mechanics/chemistry watching a 30 minute YT video than at HS and college. Video presentation is amazing.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 22:00 BIGtrouble77

BobBob wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:13:
Why not encourage them to read books and learn? Book
What does that have to do with anything? So kids should be having a bookclub meeting at their sleepover?

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 21:57 BIGtrouble77

I can't control what other parents do, but I do keep a close eye on what my son is watching. I have a youtube account for him that I constantly monitor.

I don't believe in blocking either, despite my earlier comment. If he watches something I don't approve of I'll ask him to watch it with me and we'll talk about it.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 17:22 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:02:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 13:52:
My son had the neighborhood kids over for a sleep over (5 8-9 year olds). They all got on their iPads and started watching "savage" Jake Paul videos.

They can play video games into the wee hours of the morning, they can eat junk food, they can binge watch Sponge Bob, but there's no way in hell this Youtube filth or his brother are polluting these kids heads when they're in my house.

So, you got on the router and blocked Youtube?

Straight up blocking is a terrible idea.

Limiting the bandwidth to youtube to about... oh... 128kbps is the idea. You want them to see that it's actually loading so they don't catch on that it's you, not them.

Additionally, this is an excellent article on the freakishness that people are plugging their toddlers and young children into all day long.

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

And out of freakish curiosity, for a while if I saw a little kid staring at their iphone/ipad mutely and I had the opportunity, I'd sneak a look and see what they were watching. Very, very frequently it's this mixed up psychotic kids' programming. The last one I saw had spider man with wolverine style blades stabbing peppa pig repeatedly while other characters giggled in the background. The kid watching it was entirely slackjawed entranced. Not bothered at all.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 17:15 BobBob

DarkV wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 17:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:58:
BobBob wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:38:
VaranDragon wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:33:
My son had the neighborhood kids over for a sleep over (5 8-9 year olds). They all got on their iPads and started watching "savage" Jake Paul videos.

They can play video games into the wee hours of the morning, they can eat junk food, they can binge watch Sponge Bob, but there's no way in hell this Youtube filth or his brother are polluting these kids heads when they're in my house.

Did that work on you when you were a kid?

Yes. Thumbsup
When you were a kid did you have a smart phone, computer, dvd player, netflix, roku, tablet, internet?

No, you didn't.

No some of us didn't have those things. What we did have were parents that parented.

Yep. If I wanted something, I had to work for it. I was told to cut the neighbor's lawn or help someone and earn it. I was envious that other kids got free stuff all the time and I had to always work for it. My father was strict on that policy. But I believe it made me ambitious and value money.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 17:07 DarkV

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:58:

Yes. Thumbsup
When you were a kid did you have a smart phone, computer, dvd player, netflix, roku, tablet, internet?

No, you didn't.

No some of us didn't have those things. What we did have were parents that parented.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 15:58 RedEye9

Yes. Thumbsup

No, you didn't.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 15:38 BobBob

Yes. Thumbsup

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 15:33 VaranDragon

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 15:13 BobBob

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 15:02 jdreyer

So, you got on the router and blocked Youtube?

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 13:52 BIGtrouble77

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 13:25 Beamer

BobBob wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 12:54:
Who has the time to watch these pointless YouTube videos? The only ones I have found interesting are science based or DIY projects. At least those are educational and/or practical.

Children.
Talk to a kid under 16 today. They don't know movie stars, and especially don't know TV stars. They know YouTube stars.

YouTube has far more content, and it's easily and readily available. No hoops to jump through like with TV. No appointment viewing. You aren't limited to what's currently scheduled, or what is available on whatever service you pay for. Infinite content available 100% of the time.

Yeah, it's almost all gibberish, but since when do tweens have high standards? They mostly want communal things to experience together and discuss in home room.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 12:54 BobBob

Who has the time to watch these pointless YouTube videos? The only ones I have found interesting are science based or DIY projects. At least those are educational and/or practical.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 12:51 MrBone

He apologized only because he got called out. Those guys will do anything for views. Pathetic.  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 11:08 Darks

Cutter wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 10:51:
What an asshole. Another vacant, useless Youtube moronic 'celebrity'. Gee, shocker. These kids who watch these assholes are so disconnected, they have no values at all.

Yep, welcome to social media.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 10:51 Cutter

What an asshole. Another vacant, useless Youtube moronic 'celebrity'. Gee, shocker. These kids who watch these assholes are so disconnected, they have no values at all.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo