Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 3, 2018, 03:03 ItBurn

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 02:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 21:29:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 11:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 10:13:
Notepad++ is best notepad

Nope, I prefer UltraEdit. Notepad++'s search is a nightmare.

Because it adds line numbers? It adds 1 step for a regex expression to clean it up, sure, but I accept that for a VASTLY superior replace function that supports regex.

Either way, whatever floats your boat They are all vastly superior to notepad and wordpad.

Notepad++ does have all I need, which is basically regex replace that works across files and a side-by-side mirroring of files with changes highlighted. And for those purposes, line numbers are kinda relevant And of course, syntax highlighting with relative references. Saves you a ton of typing

There are plugins for Notepad++ that imitate the functionality in UE or any other text editor.

Good to know. I might check it out if I ever have time and don't want to pay for UltraEdit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 3, 2018, 02:39 jdreyer

Because it adds line numbers? It adds 1 step for a regex expression to clean it up, sure, but I accept that for a VASTLY superior replace function that supports regex.

Either way, whatever floats your boat They are all vastly superior to notepad and wordpad.

Notepad++ does have all I need, which is basically regex replace that works across files and a side-by-side mirroring of files with changes highlighted. And for those purposes, line numbers are kinda relevant And of course, syntax highlighting with relative references. Saves you a ton of typing

There are plugins for Notepad++ that imitate the functionality in UE or any other text editor.

Stay a while, and listen.

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 21:35 Mr. Tact

I've never had need for it, but I'm pretty sure Notepad++ can do line numbers. Perhaps not in a way equal to UltraEdit? *shrug*

I'll agree Wordpad is worthless. But as I said, Notepad is extremely useful for striping just about everything off a text cut and paste.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 21:32 ItBurn

UltraEdit also supports regex. There's several different regular expression formats supported.

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 21:29 eRe4s3r

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 20:46 MeanJim

I prefer vi on *nix, but I use NP++ on Windows. I used to use vim on Windows until I discovered Notepad++.  

MeanJim on Steam

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 18:30 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 18:12:
To be clear, it launches and works fine. I just have to click through the error dialog, then I tell Notepad++ to remove the offending module. Apparently it can't, but is able to launch and as far as I can tell it is completely functional. Confused
Have you uninstalled notepad++, rebooted and reinstalled?

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 18:12 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 17:41:
The joys of microsoft.
And the bullshit part is Notepad+++ was working fine on his system beforehand, I'm assuming. If the dependencies changed with an update it would have been included with the installer or at least been mentioned in BOLD letters. PITA true.
To be clear, it launches and works fine. I just have to click through the error dialog, then I tell Notepad++ to remove the offending module. Apparently it can't, but is able to launch and as far as I can tell it is completely functional. Confused

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 17:41 RedEye9

NewMaxx wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 17:03:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 14:22:
Okay, tried that, still errors on finding vcruntime140.dll -- which, by the way, exists in no fewer than 15 directories.

Well I can see from earlier you already had 2012 and tried 2010 and 2013 and probably now 2017 from my link so, all that's left is 2015! lol. Goodness gracious, I had this error on a client's machine once and in despair I just kept installing f'n everything until it worked. It's a PITA.
The joys of microsoft.
And the bullshit part is Notepad+++ was working fine on his system beforehand, I'm assuming. If the dependencies changed with an update it would have been included with the installer or at least been mentioned in BOLD letters. PITA true.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 17:03 NewMaxx

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 14:22:
Okay, tried that, still errors on finding vcruntime140.dll -- which, by the way, exists in no fewer than 15 directories.

Well I can see from earlier you already had 2012 and tried 2010 and 2013 and probably now 2017 from my link so, all that's left is 2015! lol. Goodness gracious, I had this error on a client's machine once and in despair I just kept installing f'n everything until it worked. It's a PITA.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 16:52 NewMaxx

I use Sublime Text and Notepad2 as well.  

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 16:37 Darks

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 11:28:
Yes and no. Windows notepad is awesome for stripping basically everything out a text cut and paste. Notepad++ is too smart for this occasionally. I have both open 99% of the time.

I prefer Boxer Text Editor. Works like a champ and does everything!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 15:45 Mr. Tact

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:16:
I can't even remember the last time I opened up any Notepad application.
As a network administrator working on routers it is a simple but incredibly valuable tool -- router configuration files are just simple text files and using things like Win. Notepad and Notepad++ are essential.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 15:16 Beamer

I can't even remember the last time I opened up any Notepad application.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 15:05 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 11:28:
Yes and no. Windows notepad is awesome for stripping basically everything out a text cut and paste. Notepad++ is too smart for this occasionally. I have both open 99% of the time.

LOL. It's like you're watching my work desktop.

Stay a while, and listen.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 14:56 ItBurn

MacLeod wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 14:27:

What do you find to be a nightmare in Notepad++ search... never really had any issues with it myself and I'm curious.

I often had to spend days going through 100mb-3gb sized logs at my previous job. It's been more than a year though, so I don't remember all the issues I had, but the main one is that when you search, it adds line numbers and spaces to the output. So when you try to copy the search into another document to trim the logs, it would add unremovable spam to them. If you had to do a search on the search, you then had twice the spam and so on. Also, when you copy from the search window, it copies the contents of the previous searches too and adds even more spaces. Another issue is that it will put the same line multiple times in the output if the search string is there more than once, which makes reading some logs extra confusing, especially if having the same log line twice is something that actually could happen.

UltraEdit has none of these issues and going through logs with it is at least twice as fast.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 14:27 MacLeod

What do you find to be a nightmare in Notepad++ search... never really had any issues with it myself and I'm curious.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 14:22 Mr. Tact

NewMaxx wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 13:10:
PATH issue, never a good thing. Some dependency somewhere is corrupted. Latest VC should do it.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 14:04 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 14:03:
Whoever said that about AMD not fixing it was talking out of his ass.

AMD vows to fix the bug asap

Per the link someone posted below, it was a technical support community guy at AMD.

It seemed like he made an assumption, and a damaging one.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 14:03 Creston

Whoever said that about AMD not fixing it was talking out of his ass.

AMD vows to fix the bug asap

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo