Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam's Best of 2017

The Best of 2017 on Steam categorizes the 2017 sales performance of games by top sellers, top new releases, top VR games, and top Early Access graduates, along with a list covering games with most simultaneous players. Word from Valve is: "Based on community feedback and showcasing the many ways people shop and play games on Steam, 2017's year-end reporting expands beyond the top grossing titles to also include charts for the top VR titles, Early Access titles, Most Played titles and titles that enjoyed the best Opening Week performance." These lists are represented graphically with no statistics, grouped into tiers that likewise have no numbers attached. Also, the tiers are presented in no specific sequence (if you refresh the page, the arrangement changes), so in no particular order here are the "Platinum" sellers by gross revenue, which interestingly includes two free-to-play games, Warframe and Dota 2.

• H1Z1
  • Rocket League
  • The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
  • PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  • Rainbow Six: Siege
  • ARK: Survival Evolved
  • Dota 2
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  • Warframe
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Divinity: Original Sin II

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 16:38 Jerykk

I'm enjoying Elex but it definitely has the slowest start of any PB game. Your character has always been super weak at the start of their games but in Elex, it took me about 20 hours before I started feeling even remotely competent at anything. I was also playing at Ultra difficulty, which might have been a factor.

I also wish that PB would fix their smaller playability issues. For example, being able to ledge up when I'm standing on the ground but not when I'm jumping or jetpacking. Or when I fire a ranged weapon, the projectile comes from the gun instead of the camera. Or when I use melee attacks, the startups are always about 20 frames too long. Relatively minor issues like these add up and make the game feel clunky.

If PB was able to polish their low-level gameplay, I think their games would have much better mainstream reception.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 08:48 StingingVelvet

GinRummy wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 08:15:
Yes, thank you for saying what I feel too. I enjoyed Prey and finished it, but couldn't get into Dishonored 2 despite liking the first one. I also dug ELEX this year despite other people's bad reviews of it.

I own both but haven't played them yet. Took a couple years off from gaming and just dove back in last month.

Elex sounds like it's as good as the first Risen, which I'm excited about. Why didn't you like Dishonored 2? I just assumed it was mostly the same.

17. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 08:22 Reactor

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 08:05:
Reactor wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 06:31:
I havenít played any of these...

Just wanted to say that for no apparent reason.

Not even D:OS2 or Witcher 3!?

I'm still tempted to try Warframe, I hear the combat is pretty good, and theoretically you can avoid any microtransactions and still get everything... in a single human lifespan.

Yeah not even them!

16. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 08:20 Mr. Tact

Me either -- however, I want to say I'm in no way commenting on how good the games are. Had some interest in ARK, I might get to it eventually. I've watched my niece play Rocket League, it holds no attraction for me. If I was looking for a game style like Witcher, I'd probably give it a try, but never played any of them. And as for the shooters... haven't played one since COD2.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 08:15 SpectralMeat

I like Warframe. It takes a bit to get used to the controls because there's a bunch of things your character can do, but once you're used to it, it is great.
A lot like Destiny but with a shit loads more content, and slightly less fun gunplay.

Steam: SpectralMeat

14. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 08:15 GinRummy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 07:06:
Lovely to see Witcher and Divinity on there. Singleplayer might be always a step away from another "it's dead Jim" article, but RPGs are the genre that consistently says otherwise. Wish I could say the same for Dishonored and Prey.
Yes, thank you for saying what I feel too. I enjoyed Prey and finished it, but couldn't get into Dishonored 2 despite liking the first one. I also dug ELEX this year despite other people's bad reviews of it.

13. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 08:05 MoreLuckThanSkill

Not even D:OS2 or Witcher 3!?

I'm still tempted to try Warframe, I hear the combat is pretty good, and theoretically you can avoid any microtransactions and still get everything... in a single human lifespan.

12. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 07:06 StingingVelvet

Lovely to see Witcher and Divinity on there. Singleplayer might be always a step away from another "it's dead Jim" article, but RPGs are the genre that consistently says otherwise. Wish I could say the same for Dishonored and Prey.  

11. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 2, 2018, 06:31 Reactor

10. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 21:56 Steele Johnson

There are so many crappy games being made lately, the Steam sales seem overpriced lol  

9. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 19:57 Pepe

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 18:36:
Well, I started playing it shortly after the Steam release in March 2016 and technically it is still in "alpha", but at this point it is more like a very solid beta without an "Official Release". Yet. Factorio is the best game I've played in the last two years.

Maybe not the best but it is good fun

8. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 18:58 Rhett

Those poor H1Z1 sods...  

7. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 18:44 RaZ0r!

Acleacius wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 18:38:
Lmao, h1z1, wtf?

It was the biggest Battle Royal game before playerunknown left it to make PUBG. (And before Fortnite.) H1Z1 still has a decent player base that is invested in a lot of in-game purchases.

6. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 18:38 Acleacius

Lmao, h1z1, wtf?  
ďItís a sad day for America when people believe women,Ē The Drumpf

5. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 18:36 Mr. Tact

Well, I started playing it shortly after the Steam release in March 2016 and technically it is still in "alpha", but at this point it is more like a very solid beta without an "Official Release". Yet. Factorio is the best game I've played in the last two years.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 18:33 theglaze

MisterBenn wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 12:27:
I'm old as fuck and highly medicated

omg i want that t-shirt!

3. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 18:27 BobBob

The best 2017 released game on Steam is  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

2. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 12:27 MisterBenn

Rocket League is still the bee's knees! Late night unranked is where it's at as far as I'm concerned, I tried ranked but it's way too serious for me. I'm old as fuck and highly medicated and there's no prospect of me eliminating all mistakes... I don't need teenagers crucifying me for fucking up my part in the attack! Unranked has a much better vibe, not caring about results too much, celebrating good plays and plenty of people are switched on to passing plays.

The end of 2017 was the first time I ever ended up with a backlog. I've always bought games as I've wanted them until now, even in the advent of Steam sales. I bought in to XCom 2, after a couple of weeks Divinity 2 landed and I was so blown away I had to have it. Then the Grim Dawn expansion dropped... now I'm all about Slay the Spire. Need to dedicate some time to tackle the heavyweight time vampire games!

1. Re: Steam's Best of 2017 Jan 1, 2018, 12:21 Prez

...here are the "Platinum" sellers by gross revenue, which interestingly includes Warframe, a free-to-play game...

Hey, fuckwits at EA, are you paying attention? Are you seeing how this works? If you're going to have a fucking free to fucking play economy in your fucking game maybe make it fucking free to fucking play? Novel concept I know. Oh, and of course, FUCK EA.

Don't mind me; just getting my daily obligatory Fuck EA out of the way. Nothing to see here; move along.

EDIT: And before someone points out that there are 2 free-to-play economy games on the list which are not free to play, yes I realize that. Don't bother me with logical counterpoints while I'm having a Fuck EA moment.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2018, 12:32.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo