Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment?

Probably last thing Destiny 2 players want to hear about is another progression issue with the first-person shooter sequel, but a thread on reddit discusses an undisclosed glimmer cap that kicks in after a certain point, which can grind your grinding to a halt (thanks GameRevolution via MP1ST). Something that comes up in several responses is that this cap also existed in the original Destiny. Here's word:

I don't know if this is news to anyone but I did three tests to confirm it in the EDZ where Devrim is, and one on Titan. There are tons of enemies to kill when the fallen and cabal "move against each other" so it was rather easy. Once you gain a certain amount of glimmer (400ish?), the currency stops coming until you refrain from killing anything for a while. If you take a break for a moment, the next glimmer cap is even smaller (mine stopped at 200 after a 20 second rest).

In one particular instance, after I stopped gaining glimmer, I must have killed at least 60 enemies who didn't drop any glimmer at all. I was at 6000 glimmer, gained about 280 before the glimmer stopped, and then proceeded to kill enemies for several minutes after that. When I finally stopped and checked my inventory, I was at 6280 glimmer.

This may be old news I was unaware of. Either way, it seems like a pointless farming cap that would be near impossible to exploit and has to go. It makes me wonder how much glimmer I've lost out on in strikes and raids where the enemies come constantly and in great numbers.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jan 4, 2018, 02:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Rhett wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 20:16:
It just sucks because it's a great alternative to Borderlands, because Borderlands' gunplay is garbage... but now it's more of a store/collection simulator than a game.

Granted, I've only played the demo, but Destiny 2's gunplay felt weird and lacked punch. Both games have bullet sponge enemies. Borderlands' guns just felt more substantial.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 2, 2018, 12:04 Flatline

Rhett wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 20:16:
It just sucks because it's a great alternative to Borderlands, because Borderlands' gunplay is garbage... but now it's more of a store/collection simulator than a game.

Borderlands psychotic loot generation system + Destiny/Halo's combat model = nerdgasm.

9. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 21:04 Pepe

to me and a lot of others it's still a broken mess that crashes faster then loads up. Rather they fix that first.  

8. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 20:16 Rhett

7. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 19:33 Jagacademy

Playstation Trash  

6. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 19:15 Sempai

This game is just one gigantic chocolate covered turd.
And it's creators have taken the word "shitbag" to a whole new level.

5. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 19:07 Wallshadows

NewMaxx wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 15:54:
You know, I played Guild Wars 2 at launch and there was a place where you could endlessly farm once you reached the endgame. After say fifteen minutes you would get locked out for five from "good" drops on those enemies. It was very much still worth it (you could just take mini breaks, and I did) and they patched that out almost immediately. I was able to max out everything in a day or two, anyway.

I remember doing this on the Cursed Shore where you basically ran three or four well timed events and just made bank as well as an insane amount of whatever those points were called but I remember this was in the game long enough for me to literally grind a new Guardian from 1 to 80 after wracking up something like 120,000 points on my Thief over a couple of days so maybe we're thinking of different events.

I do know that it was eventually fixed though.

4. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 19:05 Slick

I don't think they're bad at game design, they're REALLY good at slotmachine design.

Activision is second only to the mobile market (Didn't Acti buy Candy Crush? lol)when it comes to extensively researched peer-reviewed theories of human addictive behaviour, and how to wield it in their games.

I imagine that the first couple kills your visual cortex is a lot more likely to pick up the accumulated glimmer, but once a large fight breaks out you're not looking at the item pickup log, you're focused on the fight, and you're trained to think that the rewards are still coming, even when they've totally dried up.

Pretty ingenious Acti. If your game had more than a 4v4 PvP mode I'd put up with all of this shit. But other than artificial incentives to return, I have no "fun" incentive.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

3. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 15:54 NewMaxx

You know, I played Guild Wars 2 at launch and there was a place where you could endlessly farm once you reached the endgame. After say fifteen minutes you would get locked out for five from "good" drops on those enemies. It was very much still worth it (you could just take mini breaks, and I did) and they patched that out almost immediately. I was able to max out everything in a day or two, anyway.

Now, there were several things wrong there. The first was that GW2 wanted to give credit to everybody who helped in an encounter (or did damage) so you had people pile up to farm there. The second problem was the respawn rate was too high. The third problem was the drops were probably too consistently good. And, lastly, the fact they had to institute a blanket throttling system as a catch-all seemed heavy-handed to me.

At the time GW2 was embroiled in other exploit controversies (which people did get banned for) and both were bad because it enabled people to jump far ahead of people who didn't get the chance (I actually got bored and quit the game after acquiring everything, so). Nevertheless I think it shows that balancing these sort of things has synergy with MTX and the tendency moves away from, "let's keep people from ruining the game for themselves" to "let's keep people grinding and paying" pretty quickly. Proper design - and I mean design geared towards the player's enjoyment - should avoid these circumstances, of course. Yet it seems developers have greater concern for keeping people latched onto their games by artificially limiting progress, as if somehow that to not do so would reveal the true paucity of their content.

2. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 14:23 Rhett

They're certainly very unique in terms of game design... Like who imposed all of these limits? Was it some upset mom whose kid played too many video games?  

1. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 11:48 deqer

Only bad game designers implement caps, which ruin the unexpected fun aspects of the game.

I guess Bungie is just bad at game design and should probably stop making games.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo