Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve lists the following as the bestselling titles for last week on Steam, their digital marketplace:

1. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  4. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  5. They Are Billions
  6. DARK SOULS III
  7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
  8. Cuphead
  9. ARK: Survival Evolved
  10. Assassin's CreedŽ Origins

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 19:54 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 19:45:

That's WHY I can talk. I have costly experience with those types of games. Do you? I didn't think so Windbags McGee.

P.S. "He went from supporting almost every Kickstarter." I think you got that piece of pyrite from the magical land of Make Believe.
Thumper, you've backed your fair share and lived to whine about it.

Kxmode wrote:
Off hand I've backed:

- Battletech
- Everspace
- Exoplanet
- Project Gorgon
- Descent: Underground
- Hullabaloo
- MADE (Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment)
- Castle Story
- Star Citizen (got a full refund)
- Shroud of the Avatar
- GRIP
- Worlds of Wander
- Wildman

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 19:53 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 19:10:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 18:31:
Crowdfunded, Early Access, and unfinished are all the same thing. None of them have reached gold status. None of them should even be nominated for any kind of big league awards. Imagine if a movie like The Room won Oscar for Best Picture. What sort of quality bar would that set?

Crowdfunding is a source of funding. It literally has nothing to do with the state of development. Divinity: Original Sin 2 was crowdfunded, entered early access, left early access and is now the best RPG in years.

Crowdfunding and early access are not inherently bad. Your flawed movie analogy seems to assume otherwise. Many high-quality games have resulted from both crowdfunding and early access. Your disdain for these funding methods seems to ignore the proven results of said methods. Have you ever actually played a game that was crowdfunded or in early access?

Reread comment #14. Nowhere in that comment did I ever mention DOS2 specifically or even hint at it. You jumped to a conclusion that wasn't there in the first place.

You guys should stop. What you're thinking is crossing into incomprehensibility.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 19:45 Kxmode

MacLeod wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 19:06:
Crowdfunded, Early Access, and unfinished are all the same thing. None of them have reached gold status. None of them should even be nominated for any kind of big league awards. Imagine if a movie like The Room won Oscar for Best Picture. What sort of quality bar would that set?

If you're saying that Divinity: Original Sin 2 didn't deserve to at least be nominated for a best RPG, just because it was crowdfunded, I don't know what to say man, other than that perhaps you should look at yourself and realize that your hatred of crowdfunding is a bit over the top. Trying to compare that to "The Room" winning an award is absurd. One is a masterly crafted product, the other is... well... "The Room".

P.S. "Oh, hi Mark."

All the nominations and awards for Divinity: Original Sin 2 happened months after its September 14, 2017 release. (source 1, source 2)

For clarity, D:OS2 aside, I'm saying I don't want an early access, crowdfunding, or unreleased game (not Gold) being nominated for or given awards. It sets a precedent for publishers and gives them carte blanche to start moving into that area. Remember when DLC was a novelty? Since then it's morphed into Season Passes (and I know how much we all love that format. /s) Why do I have to explain this? As consumers and veterans gamers, you all should understand the ramifications of where this could lead.

Again, I cannot wait until PUBG falls off the list. The sooner, the better.

P.S. The reference to The Room winning an Oscar for Best Picture has nothing to do with Divinity: Original Sin 2 (so you can relax). It means Hollywood judges informing viewers and those working in the industry where they've set the quality bar. In like fashion, giving an award to an unreleased game like PUBG sets quality bars for the ENTIRE gaming industry.

P.P.S. You dropped your water bottle.

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 19:29:
He went from supporting almost every kickstarter and giving CIG nearly a grand for Star Citizen to being against all of them. Take what he says or does with a grain of salt.

That's WHY I can talk. I have costly experience with those types of games. Do you? I didn't think so Windbags McGee.

P.S. "He went from supporting almost every Kickstarter." I think you got that piece of pyrite from the magical land of Make Believe.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 19:29 RedEye9

MacLeod wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 19:06:

If you're saying that Divinity: Original Sin 2 didn't deserve to at least be nominated for a best RPG, just because it was crowdfunded, I don't know what to say man, other than that perhaps you should look at yourself and realize that your hatred of crowdfunding is a bit over the top. Trying to compare that to "The Room" winning an award is absurd. One is a masterly crafted product, the other is... well... "The Room".

P.S. "Oh, hi Mark."
He went from supporting almost every kickstarter and giving CIG nearly a grand for Star Citizen to being against all of them. Take what he says or does with a grain of salt.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 19:10 Jerykk

Because the game is winning awards. I don't want an unfinished title to create a touchstone for developers and especially for publishers. Can you imagine EA, Ubisoft, and Activision jumping onboard this? Look what they've done with episodic gameplay.

Again, the term "finished" doesn't mean much these days when $60 games receive significant patches after launching. Mass Effect: Andromeda certainly wasn't finished when it launched. Also, EA, Ubisoft and Activision haven't done anything episodic so I'm not sure what you're on about. FYI, episodic isn't inherently bad either. As with all things, it's a matter of implementation. Episodic works well for adventure games and surprisingly, it worked well for the latest HITMAN as well. I say that as someone who has played and enjoyed all of the Hitman games thoroughly.

PUBG has won "best multiplayer game" awards because the majority of the gaming populace thought it was the best multiplayer game of 2017, even in its early access state. If it's more engaging than "finished" multiplayer games, it deserves to be successful regardless of arbitrary labels.

Crowdfunding is a source of funding. It literally has nothing to do with the state of development. Divinity: Original Sin 2 was crowdfunded, entered early access, left early access and is now the best RPG in years.

Crowdfunding and early access are not inherently bad. Your flawed movie analogy seems to assume otherwise. Many high-quality games have resulted from both crowdfunding and early access. Your disdain for these funding methods seems to ignore the proven results of said methods. Have you ever actually played a game that was crowdfunded or in early access?

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 19:06 MacLeod

P.S. "Oh, hi Mark."

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 18:56 MacLeod

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 18:05:
the erudites enjoyed King's Quest and the mouthbreathers played Wolfenstein 3D.

Did you just call me an erudite mouthbreather?

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 18:31 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 18:09:
Why? If people find a game entertaining, what does it matter what arbitrary state the game is in? After all, the term "finished" is a bit nebulous these days. All of the games you mentioned as "proven titles" have received plenty of post-launch updates. Witcher 3, great as it was, still received a number of significant updates that overhauled fundamental things like UI, balance and controls. If the game were truly "finished" at launch, it wouldn't have needed those. Conversely, there are a lot of early access titles that are polished and substantial enough to qualify as complete. Subnautica, The Forest and Distance are good examples of that.[/url]

Because the game is winning awards. I don't want an unfinished title to create a touchstone for developers and especially for publishers. Can you imagine EA, Ubisoft, and Activision jumping onboard this? Look what they've done with episodic gameplay.

Jerykk wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 18:09:
Also, I'm not sure why you lumped "crowdfunded" in with "early access" and "unfinished." There are plenty of crowdfunded games that aren't in early access. Divinity: Original Sin 2, for example. I know you have an irrational hatred of crowdfunding but try to be a little more reasonable here.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 18:09 Kxmode

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 15:40:
No Ruiner on this list, still!?!

I don't see No Ruiner. Where is it?

12. Re: Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 18:09 Jerykk

Kxmode wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 13:38:
PUBG is driven entirely by hype. I'll be happy when it falls off the list. No EARLY ACCESS / CROWDFUNDED / UNFINISHED title should have those kinds of numbers; especially above proven titles like GTA5, CS:GO, DS3, W3, and ACO.

Why? If people find a game entertaining, what does it matter what arbitrary state the game is in? After all, the term "finished" is a bit nebulous these days. All of the games you mentioned as "proven titles" have received plenty of post-launch updates. Witcher 3, great as it was, still received a number of significant updates that overhauled fundamental things like UI, balance and controls. If the game were truly "finished" at launch, it wouldn't have needed those. Conversely, there are a lot of early access titles that are polished and substantial enough to qualify as complete. Subnautica, The Forest and Distance are good examples of that.

Also, I'm not sure why you lumped "crowdfunded" in with "early access" and "unfinished." There are plenty of crowdfunded games that aren't in early access. Divinity: Original Sin 2, for example. I know you have an irrational hatred of crowdfunding but try to be a little more reasonable here.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 18:05 Primalchrome

Remember when that game Doom was topping the list in 2016? Well, you know those shifty Gen-Xers and their ADD. Spiked at 40k a year ago and is around 3k players a day now...

Day-Z....never broke 30k players in a day. Never. Total owners below 4 million.

PUBG...500k+ every single day for the last 5 months. For the last two months between 2.5 and 3 million players per day. Total owners over 25 million.

But you're right...they're both the exact same and flashes in the pan. It'll last another week...tops. Just step outside the the cheaters/bugs/EA/crates echo chamber and you might be surprised. PUBG is to battle royale what Quake was to competitive FPS in the 90's. It is the most refined product in the genre. Will it reign as long? Probably not...because the modern game industry moves a lot faster.

GTAV - microtransactions...janky controls...same old same old...albeit supposedly great writing.
CS:GO - OK to cite if used against another game, the king of top 10's...but if anyone mentions it alone, we're supposed to howl about cheaters and crates
DS3 - still not as good as DS, but better than DS2 or DeS. Very limited target market. has had massive hacking and balance issues
W3 - Dogshit janky controls on release...should have been called beta or EA. First patch brought controls to AAA release quality....from a proven studio... again, since it is the prom queen, we're not allowed to mention that she had chlamydia until she got dosed.
ACO - ...rinse repeat. Recycled experience that people keep coming back for.

Some of you guys are amusing. If you don't like it or you see millennials playing it...it must be simplistic trash in a shiny wrapper and further bolstering your self worth as a 1337 old skool gamer. Same has been said about MOBAs by many of you. Oddly, they're still generating tens of millions of dollars and pulling the largest views of video game competitions. Again, I'm sure I'm not patient enough waiting years for it to flare out and die like some keep saying.

Jesus fucking Christ I miss the days when everyone looked down on gamers as useless geeks. At least we tended to band together somewhat and respect the fact that the erudites enjoyed King's Quest and the mouthbreathers played Wolfenstein 3D. But it didn't matter because we were still happy to see something new on a floppy....

10. Re: Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 15:40 MoreLuckThanSkill

No Ruiner on this list, still!?! It's been on sale a couple of times, and it's on sale again now, it's awesome.

Also, the developers caved a little, toned down the difficulty quite a bit, it's not nearly as rough.

It's good to see D:OS2 on there, and Witcher 3 obviously.

I'm getting a little nervous about They Are Billions having this much success in EA though, it could lead to them getting cocky with their design work.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 15:38 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 15:21:
PUBG is driven entirely by hype. I'll be happy when it falls off the list. No EARLY ACCESS / CROWDFUNDED / UNFINISHED title should have those kinds of numbers; especially above proven titles like GTA5, CS:GO, DS3, W3, and ACO.

Remember back in the day when DayZ topped the list for months at a time? The ADD generation gloms onto the newest shiny object.

Amen.

8. Re: Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 15:21 jdreyer

Remember back in the day when DayZ topped the list for months at a time? The ADD generation gloms onto the newest shiny object.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

7. Re: Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 15:12 Primalchrome

ROFL. You forgot your "/s" at the end.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 13:52 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 13:42:
Judge not, that ye be not judged.

We're talking about video games homeboy.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 13:48 heroin

Glad to see DOS2 back up there especially considering it isn't getting as much love as it should from these sellout reviewers. I wish DOS2 were #1 ensuring Larian gets a super massive budget for their next masterpiece.

But, for now PUBG is fine. From a company with no ties to the majors, made it to the top by being a fantastic game that no one knew so many people would become obsessed with. And the new desert map is fucking great! I have hundreds of hours in W3 & GV, about 80 in DOS2... PUBG about 40, by the end of 2018 I'm sure I will have 300 hours in PUBG. It's a good game, face it... if you can't face it then fucking eat it! CHINA #1 lol

4. Re: Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 13:42 RedEye9

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 13:38 Kxmode

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 31, 2017, 13:34 Pepe

riiight, 3+ million concurrent users is a small playerbase, most games would kill for half that.

it's good enough to kill half an hour here and there, but don't see myself playing it 4+ hours a day, would get stale very fast.

Keeping an eye on they are billions, looks interesting.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo