Just a couple of months
CCP announced they were dropping virtual reality development amid
layoffs. Now there's a more positive omen in
for their London studio suggesting a new project is in the works at
the Icelandic developer (thanks
Rock, Paper, Shotgun
). This is for an MMORPG they describe as "highly
ambitious," and while they only go into so much detail, there are some hints
about the plan in the listing, including a mention of "economy and balance
modelling," and job requirements including leading at least one systems heavy
game, "fantastic" knowledge of the MMORPG genre, and Unreal Engine 4 experience.
CCP is currently building a team in London to lead
development on a new and highly ambitious MMORPG. We are looking to grow a
relatively small, tight-knit team, capable of delivering big ideas through
experience, smart process, and world-class tools.
We are looking for a new Lead Designer to join this growing team, responsible
for leading a small team of experienced designers in the development and
execution of our game design. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable
track-record of leading design teams on multiple high-profile titles, and
ideally experience of RPG gameplay and systems design development.
- Management and prioritization of Senior Designers
- Genesis of design concepts to match the game’s
- Responsibility for all design documentation being
suitable for intended audiences.
- Guiding the intra-team design communication
- Validation of all design scoping estimates.
- Ownership of the accuracy of both economy and
- Responsible for working closely with the
development team to drive high quality feature implementation with the right
- Responsibie for the successful implementation of
- Line-management, guidance and mentoring of the
wider design team.
- Collaboration with the Art Director to ensure
best-in-class user experience.
- Shipped a minimum of 1 game title as a Lead
Designer or Design Director on a high-profile MMO, RPG or other systems
- Demonstrable track-record of managing and
mentoring a game design team.
- Solid understanding of game design process and
- An excellent grasp of numbers, especially with
respect to game modelling techniques.
- Fantastic games knowledge (both classic and
contemporary), especially in MMORPGs.
- A demonstrable analytical and iterative approach
to solving design problems.
- Strong organizational skills and experience of
establishing enduring processes.
- Ability to balance the impacts of deadlines and
resources with creative and quality requirements.
- Strong time management skills with a proven
ability to focus on priorities and meet deadline.
- Ability to communicate effectively with executive
level staff on a broad range of topics, and convey complex ideas to
audiences of varying design expertise.
- Comfortable getting hands-on where necessary in
design documentation tasks.
- Experience with the UE4 engine and blueprints is a