Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans

Just a couple of months ago CCP announced they were dropping virtual reality development amid layoffs. Now there's a more positive omen in this job listing for their London studio suggesting a new project is in the works at the Icelandic developer (thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun). This is for an MMORPG they describe as "highly ambitious," and while they only go into so much detail, there are some hints about the plan in the listing, including a mention of "economy and balance modelling," and job requirements including leading at least one systems heavy game, "fantastic" knowledge of the MMORPG genre, and Unreal Engine 4 experience. Here's word:

CCP is currently building a team in London to lead development on a new and highly ambitious MMORPG. We are looking to grow a relatively small, tight-knit team, capable of delivering big ideas through experience, smart process, and world-class tools.

We are looking for a new Lead Designer to join this growing team, responsible for leading a small team of experienced designers in the development and execution of our game design. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable track-record of leading design teams on multiple high-profile titles, and ideally experience of RPG gameplay and systems design development.

Responsibilities

• Management and prioritization of Senior Designers daily workload.
  • Genesis of design concepts to match the game’s vision.
  • Responsibility for all design documentation being suitable for intended audiences.
  • Guiding the intra-team design communication channels.
  • Validation of all design scoping estimates.
  • Ownership of the accuracy of both economy and balance modelling.
  • Responsible for working closely with the development team to drive high quality feature implementation with the right gameplay “feel”.
  • Responsibie for the successful implementation of all features.
  • Line-management, guidance and mentoring of the wider design team.
  • Collaboration with the Art Director to ensure best-in-class user experience.

Requirements

• Shipped a minimum of 1 game title as a Lead Designer or Design Director on a high-profile MMO, RPG or other systems heavy game.
  • Demonstrable track-record of managing and mentoring a game design team.
  • Solid understanding of game design process and methodology.
  • An excellent grasp of numbers, especially with respect to game modelling techniques.
  • Fantastic games knowledge (both classic and contemporary), especially in MMORPGs.
  • A demonstrable analytical and iterative approach to solving design problems.
  • Strong organizational skills and experience of establishing enduring processes.
  • Ability to balance the impacts of deadlines and resources with creative and quality requirements.
  • Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities and meet deadline.
  • Ability to communicate effectively with executive level staff on a broad range of topics, and convey complex ideas to audiences of varying design expertise.
  • Comfortable getting hands-on where necessary in design documentation tasks.
  • Experience with the UE4 engine and blueprints is a real plus.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 30, 2017, 07:19 MattyC

I thought MMOs were kind of their gig now. Couldn't that just as easily be an expansion or some new direction for Eve? Serious question, I don't follow CCP too much.  

https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 30, 2017, 06:22 MacLeod

Rossafur wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 19:06:
Paradox darn well better not repeat that... *still waiting for an announcement from them*

I know they're working on a new edition of "Vampire: the Masquerade", Maybe they're waiting for that release before any video games?

14. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 23:41 NKD

Rossafur wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 19:06:
*still waiting for an announcement from them*

Well they've at the very least given a license to Cyanide for their Werewolf: The Apocalypse game they are making.

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America

13. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 19:06 Rossafur

I remember hearing that the team working on their ill-fated WoD MMO lived in a constant state of fear of lay-offs that was 100% justified. Wonder if any of those casualties are going to apply this for this now, ha.
But seriously, screw CCP. Buying White Wolf and keeping the entire WoD IP tied up for an entire decade without getting any digital games released at all. Paradox darn well better not repeat that... *still waiting for an announcement from them*

12. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 15:47 jdreyer

>SandmaN< wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 12:43:
Oh ok - on the cusp of a huge VR revolution, you fire all of your VR teams that had made some incredibly fun and successful VR games, drop all support for said games and then start hiring for a huge shot-in-the-dark gamble on an MMORPG that may never see the light of day.

Solid business acumen if i ever saw it.

I think they saw all that walking around on the Stanton in the recent SQ 42 demo and thought, "We gotta get a piece of that!"

Stay a while, and listen.

11. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 15:46 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 10:30:
Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities and meet deadline.

Doesn't that basically disqualify any Lead Designer who's worked on an MMORPG then? Has ANY MMORPG ever released on schedule?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

Stay a while, and listen.

10. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 12:43 >SandmaN<

Oh ok - on the cusp of a huge VR revolution, you fire all of your VR teams that had made some incredibly fun and successful VR games, drop all support for said games and then start hiring for a huge shot-in-the-dark gamble on an MMORPG that may never see the light of day.

Solid business acumen if i ever saw it.

9. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 12:27 MacLeod

They did so well with that World of Darkness MMO...  

8. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 11:42 Nexus

I hope t20 is there to lead development.
10 year old salt? Never let it be said that you let a grudge get off easily.

7. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 11:33 NKD

I'm not confident CCP can ever ship another successful title.  

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America

6. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 11:30 aka_STEVE

for some reason, I misread CCP as an abbreviation for CD Projekt (CDP) and was confused why CyberPunk 2077 would need a new lead already...  

5. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 10:53 MrBone

I hope t20 is there to lead development.  

4. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 10:52 El Pit

World of Spacecraft!  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

3. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 10:43 PacoTaco

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 10:18:
For yet another game they'll fail to produce.
Interesting that they are trying to sell that studio as well. Maybe it is a part of the sales price, we don't like your designer so hire one then we will buy it. I don't get it my trust of CCP is < 0.

2. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 10:30 Creston

Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities and meet deadline.

Doesn't that basically disqualify any Lead Designer who's worked on an MMORPG then? Has ANY MMORPG ever released on schedule?

1. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 10:18 Cutter

For yet another game they'll fail to produce.

“I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END.” - Miranda Hart

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo