Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

HuffPost - World Health Organization’s Junk Diagnosis For 'Gaming Disorder' Trivializes Mental Illness.
"The WHO’s proposal has been in the works for a couple of years and has already generated controversy among scholars in the field. One group of 28 scholars wrote an open letter regarding the WHO’s proposal, criticizing it for lack of scientific support, lack of transparency, and failure to adequately consider the clinical harms and human rights concerns of the proposed diagnosis. Some scholars certainly support the WHO’s efforts, but they may be in the minority. One survey I conducted of scholars regarding their attitudes toward video games found that only about 30 percent agreed that video game addiction is a serious problem. That the WHO appear to have made little effort to understand the concerns of more skeptical scholars is worrisome."

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Op Ed Dec 30, 2017, 08:33 El Pit

Pharma industry: "A healthy person is a lost client. Guys, quick, invent new "disorders" - we need a better result for the next quarter, the shareholders need their profits!"  
They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 23:24 Saboth

NKD wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 14:26:
Speaking of mental health diagnoses...

I saw a reddit thread linking to an article about Trump's recent NY Times interview where he was almost completely incoherent. Someone linked a few interviews with Donald Trump dating back to 1980. In 80 and 87 he was very well-spoken. In 2005 there's a little decline, but he's still like a completely different person than he is now.

There's just no getting around the fact that the guy is suffering from some severe mental decline, way beyond the usual for a man in his early 70s.

No spin, just go look at some interviews for yourselves.

It's pretty obvious he's deep in dementia now. Mental health experts are already ringing the alarms, but the GOP doesn't care as long as he rubber stamps whatever they put in front of him. He doesn't even know what he's signing anymore. This is a severe breakdown of our political system and checks and balances, to have an addled, uninformed demagogue doing the bidding of only corporate interests.

23. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 18:58 Asmodai

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 14:53:
Hey Walt, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Also, people have died from playing too much video games all over the world including such far flung places as Calumet City, Illinois and Virginia Beach. When you can't stop playing for 24 or more hours, the results can be fatal. I'm not sure if we need a specific ICD entry for "gaming addiction," but gaming certainly has some unique qualities which can compel people into fatal behavior, all without any kind of chemical consumption (Mountain Dew and Doritos, notwithstanding). It's definitely worth investigation and discussion.

People have died from drinking too much water, I guess we should investigate this harmful chemical...

Addictive behaviour based on dopamine response or Skinner box conditioning is the same no matter the format used to addict the subject. And while there have been deaths, the numbers would be like unto the numbers of suicides due to Dungeons and Dragons (we all remember that little furor don't we?). If the trigger points in games were so serious and so well tailored, you would be pointing to articles showing hundreds of thousands of gamers mouldering away in front of their screens till they expire (aka BTL from Red Dwarf). As with most things, the average person is capable of handling it without significant issues, which speaks to the problem being individuals ability to cope rather than the addictive nature of the games.

This smacks of the same alarmism every small problem is treated with these days.

22. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 18:43 Asmodai

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 11:51:
Even more hilarious.
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/
HuffPo does not hold a candle to fox noise retractions and lies.

I love this argument strategy... You have two bad things but because one is worse than the other, suddenly the other is what??? Virtuous?

21. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 18:04 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 14:55:

I saw a reddit thread linking to an article about Trump's recent NY Times interview where he was almost completely incoherent. Someone linked a few interviews with Donald Trump dating back to 1980. In 80 and 87 he was very well-spoken. In 2005 there's a little decline, but he's still like a completely different person than he is now.

There's just no getting around the fact that the guy is suffering from some severe mental decline, way beyond the usual for a man in his early 70s.

Reagan was too, so I don't think it's all that unusual for a man in his 70s.

Reagan was suffering Alzheimers while President. It's not like everyone over 70 has Alzheimers.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

20. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 15:49 Flatline

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 15:00:
HuffPo posted a sensible article? The end times are surely upon us!

My problem with HuffPo is that while it has/had some legitimate news/journalism going on, like 80% of the site is op eds and editorials and fluff pieces and they mix the two liberally.

Basically it's the Fox News of the left.

19. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 15:48 Flatline

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 15:23:
Beamer wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 11:32:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 11:24:
Citing any article from the Huffington Post is an exercise in futility. There has been more fake news from them than any other news organization. About all they are good for is a few daily laughs.

Citation needed.
Find one fake news article they haven't retracted.

Fun fact: Breitbart was one of the 'founders' of The Huffington Post, and even wrote op-eds for them. You should be able to find a biography of Breitbart that was written about him shortly after he died. It was probably published by Slate, but I can't remember. I looked it up in 2014 and was amazed.

Andrew Breitbart was kind of a douche from the times I saw him on Bill Maher, but aside from one assertion that he had proof on his cell phone that would "Bring down the Obama administration" he seemed like he was kind of grounded in reality. Still, it wasn't until his site was taken over by Bannon that it went from basically a kind of Drudge Report level website to full blown "infowars with a billionaire backing them" level of crazy.

18. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 15:27 ParcelRot

Tell me what you see, when you google this search term:

'huffingtonpost andrew breitbart'

17. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 15:23 ParcelRot

Citing any article from the Huffington Post is an exercise in futility. There has been more fake news from them than any other news organization. About all they are good for is a few daily laughs.

Citation needed.

Fun fact: Breitbart was one of the 'founders' of The Huffington Post, and even wrote op-eds for them. You should be able to find a biography of Breitbart that was written about him shortly after he died. It was probably published by Slate, but I can't remember. I looked it up in 2014 and was amazed.

16. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 15:00 Agent.X7

HuffPo posted a sensible article? The end times are surely upon us!  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

15. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 14:55 jdreyer

Reagan was too, so I don't think it's all that unusual for a man in his 70s.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 14:53 jdreyer

WaltC wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 12:02:
The "Guffington" Post, as I call it (all that guff), is certainly more of a fantasy site than a news site--sort of like the NYT and the WaPo--they just make up political stuff and try and peddle it. But in the last couple of years I've read several stories out of China detailing people actually dropping dead (supposedly) from "playing too much computer games on the Internet", lol...;)

But in this instance I did read about this somewhere else, actually--a reputable site. My take is that it's the sort of thing used by countries like China in their never ending war on the Internet--so that they can control the content. Like so much else in the world, "WHO" has become far more political than scientific, imo. These kinds of findings are just propaganda found useful and likely financed by nations that a take a dim view of free speech, etc. The free exchange of ideas and opinion via the Internet seems to scare lots of countries--even in the EU and the UK people are penalized merely for publicly expressing their opinions! Most countries in fact do not have free speech law like that found in the US constitution. I find that remarkable in 2017.

BTW, want to wish everyone at Blue's a Merry Christmas (belatedly) and a the very best of new years!

Hey Walt, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Also, people have died from playing too much video games all over the world including such far flung places as Calumet City, Illinois and Virginia Beach. When you can't stop playing for 24 or more hours, the results can be fatal. I'm not sure if we need a specific ICD entry for "gaming addiction," but gaming certainly has some unique qualities which can compel people into fatal behavior, all without any kind of chemical consumption (Mountain Dew and Doritos, notwithstanding). It's definitely worth investigation and discussion.

13. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 14:26 NKD

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

12. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 14:21 jdreyer

Citation needed.

I don't need no stinking sources. I feel it in my guts.

11. Re: PUBG Passes 3M CCUs Dec 29, 2017, 14:02 jdreyer

Saboth wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 11:12:
People can get addicted to anything. Drugs, alcohol, gaming, fishing, sex, bowling. Anything that makes a person "feel good" has potential for abuse, but it all depends on the individual. I have no doubts there are people who are addicted to games, but I think they are in the vast minority.

I agree that while many things can be addicting, games are especially good at triggering addiction because they can be tailored to so many disparate kinds of addictive behavior: collecting, hoarding, survival, competition, fantasy, danger, power, etc. etc. Each of these gameplay mechanics can trigger a dopamine hit that leads to the next, then the next, etc. etc.

10. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 12:03 Beamer

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 11:39:

Citation needed.

Not enough space on this site lol! PUt the site in your news feed, it is hilarious! Right up there with Breitbart.

Not enough space for one fake news article they haven't retracted?

Or, like WaltC, do you think news you disagree with is fake?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 12:02 WaltC

The "Guffington" Post, as I call it (all that guff), is certainly more of a fantasy site than a news site--sort of like the NYT and the WaPo--they just make up political stuff and try and peddle it. But in the last couple of years I've read several stories out of China detailing people actually dropping dead (supposedly) from "playing too much computer games on the Internet", lol...;)

But in this instance I did read about this somewhere else, actually--a reputable site. My take is that it's the sort of thing used by countries like China in their never ending war on the Internet--so that they can control the content. Like so much else in the world, "WHO" has become far more political than scientific, imo. These kinds of findings are just propaganda found useful and likely financed by nations that a take a dim view of free speech, etc. The free exchange of ideas and opinion via the Internet seems to scare lots of countries--even in the EU and the UK people are penalized merely for publicly expressing their opinions! Most countries in fact do not have free speech law like that found in the US constitution. I find that remarkable in 2017.

BTW, want to wish everyone at Blue's a Merry Christmas (belatedly) and a the very best of new years!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

8. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 11:51 RedEye9

Even more hilarious.
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/
HuffPo does not hold a candle to fox noise retractions and lies.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.

7. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 11:39 Ozmodan

Citation needed.

Not enough space on this site lol! PUt the site in your news feed, it is hilarious! Right up there with Breitbart.

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 11:34 NKD

There has been more fake news from them than any other news organization.

Does the White House Press Secretary count as a news organization? Because I'm pretty sure they hold the record recently for #FAKENEWS.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo