Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 19:22 mch

Devinoch wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 15:19:
Also, as has been pointed out in multiple articles, both Uber and Lyft are doing everything they can to discourage you from driving from multiple services, despite what they claim publicly.

I don't know how you've only encountered Uber drivers doing this as a side gig, but honestly, that isn't the majority of Uber drivers you'll find on a weekend.

YMMV, but around the DC area, the vast majority of drivers are driving for both companies.

As far as the "standard pricing" someone referred to RE: cab drivers, I never, ever encountered such a thing.

In DC, it was near impossible to convince a cab driver to go outside the city (we're talking one mile outside the DC line...a 20-30 minute ride from midtown), because they always would always want a return fare. You'd have to bribe them with a ridiculous amount. Then, when they were forced to accept credit cards, they staged a protest where they all clogged up DC city streets and laid on their horns for a day.

Not a defense of Uber/Lyft, but the taxi cab industry can die, die die.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 18:33 HorrorScope

I keep thinking there has to be a way to do something like Uber, but with cryptocoins, where the driver and passenger is the transportation and app is the electronic payment to "who knows where?". This makes the company anonymous, unattackable, unable to regulate, sue, unionize, whatever else you want to do to hold it back. It is just an app that takes a transnational fee anonymously and the driver/passenger do their deal.  

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 16:18 jdreyer

Self driving cars can't come soon enough.

I welcome our robot slave economy.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 15:19 Devinoch

ledhead1969 wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 11:57:
Back on point, the Uber drivers I have all work for multiple ride sharing services, most have other jobs and do Uber for quick/extra cash. They were bummed about the fare reductions that Uber instituted to drive the taxi businesses out but that was just good business and the taxi companies couldn't fight it off. Maybe unfairly as they can't manage their fares but they could improve service, the quality of the cars, etc.

I guess there was a shitty corporate culture but no driver ever mentioned that (which makes sense as I could be a secret passenger or something to them).

You have not talked to nearly enough Uber drivers then. Many are struggling to make ends meet. Some of them bought cars at the company's suggestion, with promises that they'd be making enough money to pay off the car within months AND still turn a profit, and instead, are being coaxed into putting in 70 hour workweeks, and 35 hour weekends driving for the app, just to make their "bonuses," which are, let's be honest, quotas, all in order to make enough money to actually scrap by.

The fares don't adjust to the local price of gas. The amount of money a driver is paid from having someone make a mess or throw up in their car has gone down, instead of up. The surge pricing has gone massively down, meaning that the higher risk fares now pay even less, and Uber has consistently lowered the fares again and again, because they don't want to make customers pay what the ride should cost, in order to "stamp out" taxi drivers.

Did the taxi driver model need disruption? Absolutely. Is Uber doing a good job of it? Let's be honest - the company has a noted history of screwing over literally everyone.

When the driver was stabbed to death by a random passenger earlier this year, Uber's response to drivers was "we're sorry that happened, don't pick up anyone you don't feel safe with, and oh, if you decline too many rides, you may be suspended from our service."

Also, as has been pointed out in multiple articles, both Uber and Lyft are doing everything they can to discourage you from driving from multiple services, despite what they claim publicly.

I don't know how you've only encountered Uber drivers doing this as a side gig, but honestly, that isn't the majority of Uber drivers you'll find on a weekend.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 15:02 Cutter

Yes, but this proves unequivocally that Uber is a transportation company. They can engage in all the semantics they like but they're a car for hire service. And that means regulations just like everyone else has to abide by. It's like me opening a restaurant and saying I don't have to play by the rules because I'm really just a software company that facilitates people and food getting together.

You're absolutely right, the taxi service as a whole needs vast improvement and real competition. As someone who worked in the heart of cities most of his life I fucking hate cab drivers with a passion that borders on insanity. That doesn't excuse these companies from playing by the rules however. In fact it has the best chance of reflecting a true free market economy where the best product and/or service for the lowest price wins.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 14:31 ledhead1969

Scheherazade wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 11:57:
I wonder if the UBER news stuff has any connection to reality, or if it's gossip/propaganda?

I know people who use uber, and people who drive for uber, and none have had any change in habbit. Are they unique or something?

What exactly is going on 'on the ground' that is actually affecting uber's bottom line? I just fail to find anyone who actually cares about what is going on at uber corporate. People either want a ride, or they want some side cash, and whether or not uber corporate is having a scandal doesn't change that.

I'm not referring to any google lawsuits. Google can bury anyone under a mountain of legal bills... but google a ways down the list when it comes to the news' typically spewed UBER woes.

-scheherazade

I chat with my Uber drivers all the time and their biggest complaint has to do with cities trying to put them out of business because the pols are all paid off by the taxi union(s).

Over the past 10 years Uber is probably the best new-economy or whatever it is called business.

The taxi business is (was) a monopoly controlled by the state (or city, whatever). Buy the medallion, you can be a taxi. Have the medallion, no matter how shitty your service, limited competition kept you safe.

Remember (member?) calling for a taxi? The wait to talk to someone, then the wait to actually have a limited supply of taxis come pick you up, then the dirty as shit car, no AC, and the driver yammering on his phone the whole time?

Yea, that business model needed to be destroyed.

The standard pricing was nice but who wouldn't pay more for a car to arrive in 5 minutes, take you where you need to go the most efficient and fastest way, and then you just jump out of the car?

Taxi companies could have instituted the innovations Uber came out with but they didn't *because they didn't have to*. Why would they improve their service if you have no other choice but to use them?

Back on point, the Uber drivers I have all work for multiple ride sharing services, most have other jobs and do Uber for quick/extra cash. They were bummed about the fare reductions that Uber instituted to drive the taxi businesses out but that was just good business and the taxi companies couldn't fight it off. Maybe unfairly as they can't manage their fares but they could improve service, the quality of the cars, etc.

I guess there was a shitty corporate culture but no driver ever mentioned that (which makes sense as I could be a secret passenger or something to them).

Never tried lyft.

The one business that has not been destroyed by the internet yet is buying a house. That process should be much more efficient and cheaper for all involved. That real estate agent cartel must be shoveling bills to politicians to keep that crap business model alive.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 11:57 Scheherazade

I wonder if the UBER news stuff has any connection to reality, or if it's gossip/propaganda?

I know people who use uber, and people who drive for uber, and none have had any change in habbit. Are they unique or something?

What exactly is going on 'on the ground' that is actually affecting uber's bottom line? I just fail to find anyone who actually cares about what is going on at uber corporate. People either want a ride, or they want some side cash, and whether or not uber corporate is having a scandal doesn't change that.

I'm not referring to any google lawsuits. Google can bury anyone under a mountain of legal bills... but google a ways down the list when it comes to the news' typically spewed UBER woes.

-scheherazade

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 11:21 Cutter

We don't need no Uber let the motherfucker burn, burn motherfucker burn....

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo