Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yeah, they were not fooling around about that cold snap, as it is pretty darned frosty around these parts. This is actually the warm part of the cold snap, as it's supposed to even closer to zero degrees next week. I've accomplished a couple of tasks appropriate to the weather, as I dug out my long underwear for an extra layer, and replaced the tires on MrsBlue's car, which were getting too worn for general driving, much less dealing with wintery roads. And of course that gives me a plan B, as if the weather doesn't break you'll eventually find me in my long johns trying to warm myself by a tire fire.

Fiery Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Military Wars Strike.
Of a Feather.
Story: Knowing how the news media works protects people from conspiracy theories.
Science: NASA Wants to Launch Exoplanet Probe in 2069.
NASA uses 450,000 gallons of water to shield launch vehicles from acoustic damage.
Media: NORAD vs. Santa - Robot Chicken.
A Gigantic Hot Wheels Track That Starts From A Second-Story Window Is Basically My Childhood Fantasy.
Dropping a GoPro down our new well. Thanks Hypothermia.
Follow-up: U.S. to end search for Argentine submarine that vanished in November. Thanks RedEye9.
The Funnies: xkcd- Phone Security.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2017, 10:20 Retired

A Gigantic Hot Wheels Track That Starts From A Second-Story Window Is Basically My Childhood Fantasy.

That is one expensive track. Those pieces to extend tracks are HELLA expensive!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 22:42 1badmf

i wish it would snow here just once. coldest it ever gets is 30s at night in the dead of january. most nights i leave the window open a crack to help cool my new gaming rig cuz it pumps out so much heat XD  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 22:11 Mr. Tact

Yeah, was out and about yesterday in the -4 F temperatures. Wind chills in the negative mid teens. Not pleasant. Then again, it will make the first day in Feb or Mar in the 50s seem tropical. *shrug*  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 19:54 Kxmode

Source:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 05:07:
Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 14:04:
Given your spiritual leanings, it will be interesting to see what you make of the ending of Horizon kxmode
Will do

I finished the main campaign. HZD is a great science fiction story. However, I didn't see any religious overtones so I couldn't really comment on the ending from that aspect.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 18:53 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 18:23:
Cutter wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 18:03:
It's like when people complain about pricing on high end wines in some of the joints I've worked. It's like, 'This is a luxury commodity. Fuckoff and go somewhere else or buy it

Take that line of thinking into games as well. Sometimes we bitch about luxuries there to vs needed things.

Huh, no one around here complains about game prices, least of all Cutter.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 18:51 jdreyer

A bit out of the blue, but we were talking about podcasts the other day. Here's a doozy: Obama's first interview since leaving office, interviewed by Prince Harry nonetheless.

Good stuff, and he didn't say the word "Carnage" once.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 18:23 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 18:03:
It's like when people complain about pricing on high end wines in some of the joints I've worked. It's like, 'This is a luxury commodity. Fuckoff and go somewhere else or buy it

Take that line of thinking into games as well. Sometimes we bitch about luxuries there to vs needed things.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 18:20 RedEye9

BobBob wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 18:01:
Cutter wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 15:11:
... it's just super uncomfortable and quite noisy to boot.

If the shoe fits.
Careful bobbob, he might put you on ignore.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

12. removed Dec 28, 2017, 18:05 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 28, 2017, 18:19.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 18:03 Cutter

Pigeon wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 15:33:
Think it's annoying test driving,and trying to find a car that fits your needs? Just wait till it's time to negotiate the price

Nah, I'm just gonna email bomb all the dealers in Ontario with model and options and whoever comes back with the best price wins. I hate haggling. I really just can't be bothered trying to squeeze every fucking dime out of someone I can. It's like when people complain about pricing on high end wines in some of the joints I've worked. It's like, 'This is a luxury commodity. Fuckoff and go somewhere else or buy it at the liquor store and drink at home you cheap bastard, but don't whine to me because I don't care. You'll either buy it or you won't.' If I pay a bit more I don't care. Life is too short to waste time stressing on that shit. My time is way more valuable to me.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 18:01 BobBob

... it's just super uncomfortable and quite noisy to boot.

If the shoe fits.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 15:33 Pigeon

So I drove the Sportwagen today and that's out of the running. It has the most power by far and handles really well, it's just super uncomfortable and quite noisy to boot. Couple that with the fact that VW gives Canadians a big middle finger on price and warranty compared to the US and that eliminates them from the running. Super disappointed.

Went beack to Nissan to check out the Qashqai and Frontier and no go on them. It's insane but none of their vehicles have any leg room. I like the Frontier best out of all the smaller trucks I looked at but there's zero leg room. I'm 6' and it's not like I have what I guess would be abnormally long legs - I don't have Marfan syndrome or anything - yet you can't even get close to stretching your legs out fully. And it so stupid when you have all this room behind you in the cab. With another mere 6 or so inches of leg room it's the vehicle I probably would have bought. I guess they're designed with the Japanese in mind.

So I think I'm going to have to go through and look at the trucks again as I'd still like one best. And there's a few more SUVs I'll go check out as well. I'm going to shoot an email off to Ford to see when the Ranger will be here and how much because I may just end up waiting for one next year. I'll check to see if they're going to be making an appearance at any of the upcoming car shows in the northeast this year.

If not, looks like I'll probably be going with the Kia Niro. Man, vehicle shopping is a PITA.

Think it's annoying test driving,and trying to find a car that fits your needs? Just wait till it's time to negotiate the price

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 15:11 Cutter

So I drove the Sportwagen today and that's out of the running. It has the most power by far and handles really well, it's just super uncomfortable and quite noisy to boot. Couple that with the fact that VW gives Canadians a big middle finger on price and warranty compared to the US and that eliminates them from the running. Super disappointed.

Went beack to Nissan to check out the Qashqai and Frontier and no go on them. It's insane but none of their vehicles have any leg room. I like the Frontier best out of all the smaller trucks I looked at but there's zero leg room. I'm 6' and it's not like I have what I guess would be abnormally long legs - I don't have Marfan syndrome or anything - yet you can't even get close to stretching your legs out fully. And it so stupid when you have all this room behind you in the cab. With another mere 6 or so inches of leg room it's the vehicle I probably would have bought. I guess they're designed with the Japanese in mind.

So I think I'm going to have to go through and look at the trucks again as I'd still like one best. And there's a few more SUVs I'll go check out as well. I'm going to shoot an email off to Ford to see when the Ranger will be here and how much because I may just end up waiting for one next year. I'll check to see if they're going to be making an appearance at any of the upcoming car shows in the northeast this year.

If not, looks like I'll probably be going with the Kia Niro. Man, vehicle shopping is a PITA.

7. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Dec 28, 2017, 14:35 Shineyguy

jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 12:36:
This is actually the warm part of the cold snap, as it's supposed to even closer to zero degrees next week.

Fahrenheit or celsius? Cuz there's a difference! Elf

0*F. It was 5*F here in central CT when I woke up this morning.

F*ck winter.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 13:41 BobBob

No comment.  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 13:03 Pigeon

There's a possibility we could get snow New Years Eve, which would be the second time we've had snow in just over a month. Considering we usually go 5+ years between the days we have snow, twice in a month's time is a pretty significant occurrence. The weather people seem to be in disagreement with when and how much precipitation we'll get in concurrence with when we'll get hit with freezing temperatures.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 12:57 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 12:34:
So you'll appear to be from the country you're logged in as?
Also, what kinds of speeds do you see?
Speeds are a subjective thing when it comes to vpns. PIA has multiple locations in the states and overseas. So depending on where you connect, my isp, web congestion etc etc etc. It's so much YMMV that i am not even going to test it. I mainly use it for torrent. But for regular webpage surfing I hardly notice any difference.
Here's where I saw this particular special and there are few posts about speed https://hardforum.com/threads/h-ot-pia-vpn-deal.1951244/

EDIT: Yes, you appear to be from the country you logged in as. It used to be great for watching netflix coming out of a different country to bypass "the rules" but netflix has put the kibosh on that.
Still works fine for some bbc stuff.

This comment was edited on Dec 28, 2017, 13:25.

The game’s afoot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/fact-checker-most-repeated-disinformation/

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 12:36 jdreyer

This is actually the warm part of the cold snap, as it's supposed to even closer to zero degrees next week.

Fahrenheit or celsius? Cuz there's a difference! Elf

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 12:34 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 10:03:
Don't know if anyone is interested in a VPN, but this looks like a decent deal for the one I use. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/pia-2yr-deal/geeksaresexy
It includes the vpn for android, great if you're on the "open" wifi at the coffee-shop.

Unlimited is nice.
So you'll appear to be from the country you're logged in as?
Also, what kinds of speeds do you see?

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 10:03 RedEye9

Don't know if anyone is interested in a VPN, but this looks like a decent deal for the one I use. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/pia-2yr-deal/geeksaresexy
It includes the vpn for android, great if you're on the "open" wifi at the coffee-shop.

The game’s afoot.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo