31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: Evening Metaverse
Dec 27, 2017, 18:34
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 18:34
Dec 27, 2017, 18:34

So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't liked Bright. It's not the best movie, and it has its flaws, but it's fun. I feel like the critics were watching a different movie, and I wonder if their review copy really was different somehow.

Dec 27, 2017, 18:53
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 18:53
Dec 27, 2017, 18:53

Choobeastia wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:34:
So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't liked Bright. It's not the best movie, and it has its flaws, but it's fun. I feel like the critics were watching a different movie, and I wonder if their review copy really was different somehow.
I enjoyed bright and the price was right.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Dec 27, 2017, 19:31
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 19:31
Dec 27, 2017, 19:31

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:53:

Same. Better story/characters than half the shit Hollywood shovels out as blockbusters. It's not amazing by any stretch, but unless you can't stand Will Smith playing a Will Smith character, it's entertaining to watch.

Dec 27, 2017, 20:03
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:03
Dec 27, 2017, 20:03

Pigeon wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 19:31:

Same. Better story/characters than half the shit Hollywood shovels out as blockbusters. It's not amazing by any stretch, but unless you can't stand Will Smith playing a Will Smith character, it's entertaining to watch.
I'm not the conspiracy theory type, but I do think that it is slightly suspicious that many of the critics and columns with a negative view of the movie are also dependent on Hollywood (not Netflix) for their livelihood. Not the most unbiased observers...

Dec 27, 2017, 20:14
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:14
Dec 27, 2017, 20:14

I've heard much the same, that it's good. Almost watched it with the kids the other day, but then realized it was TV-MA, so figured I'd better watch it myself first.

Contrarian for contrarian's sake.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 27, 2017, 20:15
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:15
Dec 27, 2017, 20:15

Sooo, "Men in Green?"

@Eirikrautha: Good point.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 27, 2017, 20:24
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:24
Dec 27, 2017, 20:24

I was on the fence at at first because seemed too much like Will Smith's Bad Boy meets Alien Nation. But once it got going it was a fun ride.
"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.

Dec 27, 2017, 20:32
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:32
Dec 27, 2017, 20:32

Not quite the Shadowrun movie I wanted, but wasn't half bad, but a little bit cliche at the last 20 mins.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Dec 27, 2017, 20:49
Cutter

Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:49
Dec 27, 2017, 20:49
 Cutter

That's my sentiment. I really can't stand Will Smith. He's never anything but Will Smith in anything he's in. He's not a terrible actor, but he ain't exactly good either. There have been a few exceptions where he's shined, but on the whole I'd rather not watch something with him in it. Joel Edgerton on the other hand is amazing. I think Bright would have worked much better with someone other than Smith. Though it does work when he delivers lines like "We gonna titty bar gun fight die.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Dec 27, 2017, 21:58
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 21:58
Dec 27, 2017, 21:58

Comments on the linked article say it all. Almost all of them are positive about the movie and many of them point out the glaring disparity between what the critics think is good and what the people do.

To be fair (something I think the critics forgot to do), just because a lot of people like something doesn't make it objectively good, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bright. And while it wasn't exactly the Shadowrun homage I was hoping for, it's certainly set the scene for sequels/spinoffs that could explore a Shadowrun-esque world. Given that no one else has really attempted something like that, I'm glad Netflix is going to run with it.

Dec 27, 2017, 22:03
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 22:03
Dec 27, 2017, 22:03

My biggest issue was that it was a bit too rushed. Personally, I think it would have worked a bit better as maybe a 5 part, hour long per episode miniseries. That would have given them a bit more time to build up some backstory for the characters and events in the movie. I am looking forward to part 2, though.

Dec 27, 2017, 22:05
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 22:05
Dec 27, 2017, 22:05

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 20:14:

I've heard much the same, that it's good. Almost watched it with the kids the other day, but then realized it was TV-MA, so figured I'd better watch it myself first.

Contrarian for contrarian's sake.

Loved the movie but it's got that MA rating for a reason (and that reason is why I loved it) finally some bad-ass elves.

Dec 27, 2017, 23:24
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 23:24
Dec 27, 2017, 23:24

so called professional critics hate Bright, but everyone else , including those whom decidedly watch more movies than these critics, likes it.

Seemingly every prof critic's work is now tainted with politics.

Dec 28, 2017, 00:47
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 00:47
Dec 28, 2017, 00:47

Engadget is terrible, but that doesn't matter to Engadget.

Dec 28, 2017, 02:13
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 02:13
Dec 28, 2017, 02:13

Meh, not sure what you guys were seeing when you saw Bright, but it was a pretty bad in my opinion.

**SPOILERS BELOW**

An embarrassingly ham-fisted racial metaphor, questionable plot (If the wand is that strong, why would Noomi Rapace's Elf character ever give it away, especially if her Elf group are basically turbo ninjas?), constant contradictions('everybody' knows only Brights can use a wand, yet regular people keep grabbing it and blowing up?) What exactly were the cops going to do with the wand if they had successfully stole it? Annihilate themselves by touching it bare handed? Even if a person is a Bright, if they don't know the magic words(as shown by Will Smith), they can't do much anyway? On top of that, apparently they will be targeted by the entirety of Earth's population, who will want to kill them and take the wand?

There were a couple centaurs around, and some other less common mythical creatures, yet they were mostly background scenery. It seems like the other non-human police would have maybe had some effect on Nick the orc cop's situation?

Most importantly though, the entire movie would have been over in the first 10 minutes if the runaway elf girl had just told Smith and his partner to call the magic Feds, or spoken English to them, and anybody had any sense and called the Feds to deal with the incoming Murderous Elf Trio.

All in all, it felt like it should have been a Shadowrun movie, or any one of the halfway decent modern day-fantasy series adaptations; Dresden Files, early Anita Blake, etc. Almost any of those, as cheesy as they mostly are, have far more fleshed out worlds to be used and drawn from. Oh well.

Netflix makes some good stuff; Mindhunters, Travellers, etc. but they are also starting to pump out a ton of crap, seemingly just to fill their servers with their own content.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cancelling Netflix in protest or something, I just felt the negative reviews of Bright were correct; it simply wasn't that good of a movie.

OCD Complaint: also the firearm sounds in Bright were mostly terible. No excuse for a $100 million dollar movie.

*EDIT* Typo.

Dec 28, 2017, 02:16
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 02:16
Dec 28, 2017, 02:16

So its Alien Fantasy Nation?

Dec 28, 2017, 03:51
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 03:51
Dec 28, 2017, 03:51

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 02:13:
Meh, not sure what you guys were seeing when you saw Bright, but it was a pretty bad in my opinion.

**SPOILERS BELOW**

An embarrassingly ham-fisted racial metaphor, questionable plot (If the wand is that strong, why would Noomi Rapace's Elf character ever give it away, especially if her Elf group are basically turbo ninjas?), constant contradictions('everybody' knows only Brights can use a wand, yet regular people keep grabbing it and blowing up?) What exactly were the cops going to do with the wand if they had successfully stole it? Annihilate themselves by touching it bare handed? Even if a person is a Bright, if they don't know the magic words(as shown by Will Smith), they can't do much anyway? On top of that, apparently they will be targeted by the entirety of Earth's population, who will want to kill them and take the wand?

There were a couple centaurs around, and some other less common mythical creatures, yet they were mostly background scenery. It seems like the other non-human police would have maybe had some effect on Nick the orc cop's situation?

Most importantly though, the entire movie would have been over in the first 10 minutes if the runaway elf girl had just told Smith and his partner to call the magic Feds, or spoken English to them, and anybody had any sense and called the Feds to deal with the incoming Murderous Elf Trio.

All in all, it felt like it should have been a Shadowrun movie, or any one of the halfway decent modern day-fantasy series adaptations; Dresden Files, early Anita Blake, etc. Almost any of those, as cheesy as they mostly are, have far more fleshed out worlds to be used and drawn from. Oh well.

Netflix makes some good stuff; Mindhunters, Travellers, etc. but they are also starting to pump out a ton of crap, seemingly just to fill their servers with their own content.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cancelling Netflix in protest or something, I just felt the negative reviews of Bright were correct; it simply wasn't that good of a movie.

OCD Complaint: also the firearm sounds in Bright were mostly terible. No excuse for a $100 million dollar movie.

*EDIT* Typo.

Hard to disagree with you, but for me I watched Justice League before Bright, and if we wanna talk about bad movies.... well yeah. Also watched Blade Runner 2049 which was awesome and the plot was a true mindfuck.

Overall hard for me to call it a bad movie next to Justice League which I thought was abysmal.

And if this kind of fantasy-real-world merging can get more traction through the movie, a sequel or maybe even a episodic take on it, then I am all for it.

Dec 28, 2017, 03:56
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 03:56
Dec 28, 2017, 03:56

I thought it was perfectly OK. I have seen much worse in the theater. It had some obvious flaws, but it I would agree that it is quite watchable.
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

Dec 28, 2017, 03:58
Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 03:58
Dec 28, 2017, 03:58

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 02:13:
Netflix makes some good stuff; Mindhunters, Travellers, etc.
If that's what you qualify as Netflix's "good stuff," I think we can all safely ignore you opinion on films and television. You, like the critics, are entitled to your opinion. It just happens to be, you know, pretty disingenuous to ding the movie for a lack of subtlety or not enough world-building when it's really God damn clear from the start that it's supposed to be an easily-accessible action-fantasy film.

Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
Dec 28, 2017, 06:17
Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Dec 28, 2017, 06:17
Dec 28, 2017, 06:17

Asmodai wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 21:58:
Comments on the linked article say it all. Almost all of them are positive about the movie and many of them point out the glaring disparity between what the critics think is good and what the people do.
European critics mostly liked Bright. Different cultural background, no quarrel with BLM and other political themes.
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer