Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 22:03 .Drifter

My biggest issue was that it was a bit too rushed. Personally, I think it would have worked a bit better as maybe a 5 part, hour long per episode miniseries. That would have given them a bit more time to build up some backstory for the characters and events in the movie. I am looking forward to part 2, though.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 21:58 Asmodai

Comments on the linked article say it all. Almost all of them are positive about the movie and many of them point out the glaring disparity between what the critics think is good and what the people do.

To be fair (something I think the critics forgot to do), just because a lot of people like something doesn't make it objectively good, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bright. And while it wasn't exactly the Shadowrun homage I was hoping for, it's certainly set the scene for sequels/spinoffs that could explore a Shadowrun-esque world. Given that no one else has really attempted something like that, I'm glad Netflix is going to run with it.

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:49 Cutter

Pigeon wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 19:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:53:
Choobeastia wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:34:
So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't liked Bright. It's not the best movie, and it has its flaws, but it's fun. I feel like the critics were watching a different movie, and I wonder if their review copy really was different somehow.
I enjoyed bright and the price was right.

Same. Better story/characters than half the shit Hollywood shovels out as blockbusters. It's not amazing by any stretch, but unless you can't stand Will Smith playing a Will Smith character, it's entertaining to watch.

That's my sentiment. I really can't stand Will Smith. He's never anything but Will Smith in anything he's in. He's not a terrible actor, but he ain't exactly good either. There have been a few exceptions where he's shined, but on the whole I'd rather not watch something with him in it. Joel Edgerton on the other hand is amazing. I think Bright would have worked much better with someone other than Smith. Though it does work when he delivers lines like "We gonna titty bar gun fight die.

“I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END.” - Miranda Hart

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:32 The Half Elf

Not quite the Shadowrun movie I wanted, but wasn't half bad, but a little bit cliche at the last 20 mins.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:24 afka Rossini

So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't liked Bright. It's not the best movie, and it has its flaws, but it's fun. I feel like the critics were watching a different movie, and I wonder if their review copy really was different somehow.

Same. Better story/characters than half the shit Hollywood shovels out as blockbusters. It's not amazing by any stretch, but unless you can't stand Will Smith playing a Will Smith character, it's entertaining to watch.

I was on the fence at at first because seemed too much like Will Smith's Bad Boy meets Alien Nation. But once it got going it was a fun ride.

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:15 jdreyer

Sooo, "Men in Green?"

@Eirikrautha: Good point.

Stay a while, and listen.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:14 jdreyer

I've heard much the same, that it's good. Almost watched it with the kids the other day, but then realized it was TV-MA, so figured I'd better watch it myself first.

Contrarian for contrarian's sake.

Stay a while, and listen.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 20:03 Eirikrautha

I'm not the conspiracy theory type, but I do think that it is slightly suspicious that many of the critics and columns with a negative view of the movie are also dependent on Hollywood (not Netflix) for their livelihood. Not the most unbiased observers...

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 19:31 Pigeon

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 18:53 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 27, 2017, 18:34 Choobeastia

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo