Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well the change of seasons to winter once again worked like flipping a switch. The forecast for this area calls for low temperatures in the single digits for the next week, and it's supposed to be windy on top of that, so it's suddenly gotten real. This is apparently a national trend, as I see reports of similar cold in other places, and warnings about lake effect snow, with the poster child for this being Erie, Pennsylvania were they've had more than five feet of snow(!) since the 23rd, so I'm just going to bundle up, leave the shovel where it is, and count my blessings. Here's hoping everyone can stay safe and warm amid all this.

Frosty Links: Thanks Ant.
Links: ‘Home Alone’ Is So Much Better if Kevin McCallister is Dead. Thanks Boing Boing.
Stories: Hollow Earth Conspiracy Theory Says Planet Is Filled With Aliens and Nazis—But It Isn't. Thanks RedEye9.
Coyotes Are Colonizing Cities. Step Forward the Urban Hunter. Thanks j.c.f.
New Harmony, Utah boy rescued from icy pond on Christmas Day by 'hero'.
Mark Hamill regrets trash talking 'The Last Jedi' version of Luke Skywalker.
Science: Rethinking how the US grows beef.
NASA hopes to send a probe to Alpha Centauri in 2069.
Super Blue Blood-Moon 2018: When, Where and How to See It.
Golf-ball-size meteor stuns New England.
Media: SUPER MARIO 64 - Nintendo 64 (React: Retro Gaming).
Best News Bloopers of 2017.
Paint Job Goes Wrong Between Cousins.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 16:46 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 15:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 13:22:
9 Favorite New Podcasts Of 2017 (That Aren't 'S-Town')Currently listening to Dirty John, it's brutal.

Yeah, listened to the first episode of that. Decided that hearing how a dumb woman was duped by a druggie wasn't for me.

S-Town, on the other hand, was excellent, although the first two episodes are really the best. I could listen to John McLemore talk all day.

Some of my regulars:
- /Filmcast
- Gamers with Jobs
- Waking Up
- This American Life
- Three Moves Ahead
- Radio Lab (and it's spinoff, More Perfect)
- Dan Carlin anything
- Case File (URL b/c there are a lot of similarly named ones)
- 538 podcast
- Left, Right, & Center

As for the ones in that story, I haven't listened to any of them, so I will have to give some of them a shot.

Only share the Dan Carlin part with you.
My others:
The Bowery Boys: New York City History
Stuff You Missed in History Class
Lectures in History (literally recorded college lectures)
The History Chicks
Doug Loves Movies
Getting Doug with High

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 09:51 El Pit

What is one politician in a rocket on the way to Alpha Centauri?
A good start.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 07:04 1badmf

NKD wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 00:29:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 21:36:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 21:02:
Can we send Hillary to Alpha Century?

Could we send you instead?

Do you want a retaliatory strike by alien invasion force? Because that's what we'd get.

nah he'd be more like our version of a xenomorph; a biological weapon that could wipe out alien races without us every lifting a finger, except with stupidity. the stupidity infection would spread with such alarming virulence the aliens would wipe each other out before they could count the first five prime numbers. the best part is they've become too stupid to realized where the infection came from. we're inoculated because we're already stupid.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2017, 00:29 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 21:36:

Do you want a retaliatory strike by alien invasion force? Because that's what we'd get.

"Broke their brown backs chasing Mr. White's dream,
that Bill of Rights was just a pyramid scheme."
- Nunca David Hidalgo & Los Refugio Tiernos

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 21:36 jdreyer

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 21:32 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 16:03:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 15:31:

Faith in humanity bumped up a notch.

Did the boy live?
Yes, he lived. But not much has been released on his condition.
There is even a rare case where a child survived being submerged in frigid temps for over an hour. http://www.sitezed.com/an-analytical-look-at-survivable-submersion-times/
30 minutes is a long time. I would not get my hopes up for a good outcome, but you never know.

edit
UPDATE
Sheriff’s Lt. David Crouse said the boy was hospitalized in Salt Lake City, where on Wednesday he was awake and coherent, and responding to questions from family and hospital staff.
A Christmas Miracle

Damn. Lucky kid, brave deputy.

It's lucky that the water was so cold.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 21:12 RedEye9

I guess we could, she'd just end up getting the Most Admired Woman of Alpha Centauri just like she has here for the last 16 consecutive years.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 21:02 [VG]Reagle

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

19. Re: Coyotes Dec 27, 2017, 17:30 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 17:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 15:09:
In the early oughts when I lived in Austin, the residents of a nearby tony hilly neighborhood...

Westlake Hills never changes...
You know it. Convict Hill couldn't compete.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

18. Re: Coyotes Dec 27, 2017, 17:22 Burrito of Peace

In the early oughts when I lived in Austin, the residents of a nearby tony hilly neighborhood...

Westlake Hills never changes...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 16:03 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 15:31:

Did the boy live?
Yes, he lived. But not much has been released on his condition.
There is even a rare case where a child survived being submerged in frigid temps for over an hour. http://www.sitezed.com/an-analytical-look-at-survivable-submersion-times/
30 minutes is a long time. I would not get my hopes up for a good outcome, but you never know.

edit
UPDATE
Sheriff’s Lt. David Crouse said the boy was hospitalized in Salt Lake City, where on Wednesday he was awake and coherent, and responding to questions from family and hospital staff.
A Christmas Miracle

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2017, 16:53.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 15:38 jdreyer

Hollow Earth Conspiracy Theory Says Planet Is Filled With Aliens and Nazis—But It Isn't.

Ridiculous. Everyone knows the earth is hollow and full of crab men.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 15:31 jdreyer

Did the boy live?

14. Re: Coyotes Dec 27, 2017, 15:26 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 14:57:
Jogging in SoCal, I'd come across coyotes all the time, usually singly, but sometimes is packs of two or three. They were always sure to keep their distance from me, and I never felt any danger from them.

There are only two confirmed cases of coyotes killing a person in north america in the list 100 years or so. One was a child, and the other a young woman. You're more likely to be killed by a shark, or by lightning.
In the early oughts when I lived in Austin, the residents of a nearby tony hilly neighborhood were tired of hitting dear with their Beemers, Mercedes and Porches and did not like them munching on their well manicured lawns. They floated the idea of quietly taking them out at night using subsonic ammunition, night vision etc... The idea was shot down (no pun intended). Sounded like a good idea to me.

Of course the deer overpopulation problem is because they shot all of the wolves...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 15:25 Cutter

So myself and my pal went and tested the Sube-a-roo Xtrek and the Kia Niro today. I found I was much more impressed with the Niro. The power in the Crosstrek is woefully bad, and I can see why that's the number one complaint in all the reviews on the Crosstreks for any year. As one writer put it, 'totally anemic', and that's apt. It was comfortable enough and the suspension was quite nice. It's a bit loud, the CVT in particular whines as you push it up on the highway. Don't really care for the dash layout.

The Niro on the other hand once again really impressed me. Way more power, way more comfortable, much better appointed for the price point in the midline trim I tested - heated steering wheel, holy shit is that ever nice in cold weather like today. Aesthetically it's a lot nicer inside and out. Suspension not as good as the Subaru but that's only a marginal difference and it's not supposed to be an offroad vehicle either. Only downside is it isn't AWD. Upside, it's a hybrid and fuel efficiency is twice as good.

So we were both way more impressed with the Kia Niro. Tomorrow will be Der Sportsvagen! And that's what I've been leaning toward anyway, so we'll see. However I did give the Sub Outback and Impressa a second glace while I was at the dealer and the Kia Sportage as it's an AWD so I may have to check those out too.

"If earth is 4 billion years old and you have co-existed with David Bowie, listening to his songs , you can consider yourself a lottery jackpot winner."

12. Re: Coyotes Dec 27, 2017, 15:09 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 14:57:
Jogging in SoCal, I'd come across coyotes all the time, usually singly, but sometimes is packs of two or three. They were always sure to keep their distance from me, and I never felt any danger from them.

There are only two confirmed cases of coyotes killing a person in north america in the list 100 years or so. One was a child, and the other a young woman. You're more likely to be killed by a shark, or by lightning.
In the early oughts when I lived in Austin, the residents of a nearby tony hilly neighborhood were tired of hitting dear with their Beemers, Mercedes and Porches and did not like them munching on their well manicured lawns. They floated the idea of quietly taking them out at night using subsonic ammunition, night vision etc... The idea was shot down (no pun intended). Sounded like a good idea to me.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 15:06 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 13:22:
9 Favorite New Podcasts Of 2017 (That Aren't 'S-Town')Currently listening to Dirty John, it's brutal.

Yeah, listened to the first episode of that. Decided that hearing how a dumb woman was duped by a druggie wasn't for me.

S-Town, on the other hand, was excellent, although the first two episodes are really the best. I could listen to John McLemore talk all day.

Some of my regulars:
- /Filmcast
- Gamers with Jobs
- Waking Up
- This American Life
- Three Moves Ahead
- Radio Lab (and it's spinoff, More Perfect)
- Dan Carlin anything
- Case File (URL b/c there are a lot of similarly named ones)
- 538 podcast
- Left, Right, & Center

As for the ones in that story, I haven't listened to any of them, so I will have to give some of them a shot.

10. Re: Coyotes Dec 27, 2017, 14:57 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 11:16:

""Urban hunters" in camoflage balaclavas shooting assault weapons with a silencer in populated areas. What could possibly go wrong?"

Spot on. Just another low self-esteem macho asshole who feels he can only express his manhood by playing the Great White Hunter and killing animals for sport. Fucking psychopath.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 13:26 Pigeon

DangerDog wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 12:43:
Poor Mark, out of all the original main cast members I think he was the only one that truly loved Star Wars.

Disney probably threatened him with breach of contract unless he recanted. In my opinion the characters were the only saving grace of the movie, except Luke. His character felt all over the place. They had an idea of what they wanted him to be, but they had no idea how to actually get the character there, so they wrote a bunch of half-baked crap. Which is how I think the actual plot was written, some vague ideas of plot points and then some really lazy writing to flesh things out.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2017, 13:22 RedEye9

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo