Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 22:08 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 19:22:
Bumpy wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 07:06:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 02:17:
Wasn't Samsung and some others supposed to come out with VR headsets this Christmas? There were supposed to be a whole slew of them based on the Windows mixed reality API.

Cold feet perhaps? VR it not trending much at all. Niche fad is niche.
Bring the price and requirements way down, then it may get common place.

Not sure you are as in tune as you think.

First there are tons of cheap VR, with low price and low requirements.

Sales are up YOY. Investment dollars are up YoY. So it is growing, is it an on-fire product? No. What we are seeing is gaming isn't in a crisis that a new format has to come in to save it.

On the high pc-end a unit with all the accessories hit $350 this Christmas and that price is showing it will sell for that.

There should be some quality standalone units coming soon, but I don't really have a personal interest there, others will.

I actually found some today on Amazon.
Here's one from HP for $230.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 19:22 HorrorScope

Wasn't Samsung and some others supposed to come out with VR headsets this Christmas? There were supposed to be a whole slew of them based on the Windows mixed reality API.

Not sure you are as in tune as you think.

First there are tons of cheap VR, with low price and low requirements.

Sales are up YOY. Investment dollars are up YoY. So it is growing, is it an on-fire product? No. What we are seeing is gaming isn't in a crisis that a new format has to come in to save it.

On the high pc-end a unit with all the accessories hit $350 this Christmas and that price is showing it will sell for that.

There should be some quality standalone units coming soon, but I don't really have a personal interest there, others will.

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 14:30 eRe4s3r

Yeah price is a no brainer, but how would you ever bring requirements down? Either the VR quality gets better, and requirements go up, or they become even worse (hardly possible considering how bad the DK2 was)

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 07:06 Bumpy

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 03:54 MeanJim

Shock wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 20:43:
Aren't business required to accept cash as legal tender?

As I understand it, if you have a debt with a business, they legally have to accept cash as payment. However, in a situation like a cashless restaurant, you don't owe a debt yet, so they can refuse cash for goods and services.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 02:17 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 23:46 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 21:35:
Good point, I had to look that up.
There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm
sHaKeS hEaD

If I could get my bakery to switch to cashless payments I would do a happy dance... currently I get 5x10€ paper monies (you get that at the shopping places at least) to buy my bakery goods every week. And when price is below 10€ you ask? Well since they can't exchange (I am usually the first customer in a day due to my odd freelancer day/night rhythm) I just give them 10€ and the rest is basically a tip...

So literally fuck cash I could save 20€ a month if I didn't need to pay with physical money.

Ps.: I just realized this is truly a 1st world problem
PPs.: In my town is no ATM (and the one that is there has a huge fee) so yeah ^^

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 21:35 RedEye9

Good point, I had to look that up.
There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm
sHaKeS hEaD

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 20:43 Shock

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 18:23 RedEye9

They can have their "cashless" businesses, but I won't partake.  

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo